"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Oh Great. Thanks for reminding me. The place we're moving to has about an acre of yard, and most of the back yard is 3' high and hasn't been mowed all summer. Once we get in, I've got to mow what I can, then start on the high stuff, with a walk-behind self-propelled mulcher-mower. This is going to be interesting. I guess I'll be buying a ZTR mower next year with my tax refund.
Aside from the chiggers, you will need to mow for the snakes anyway. They like tall grass. You might consider hiring someone to mow it before you get there. Someone in the neighborhood surely has a riding mower; otherwise your realtor can find someone.

Barbara

Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
why am I itching now?
Same reason I am I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Expatgirl,you should also check the link I left in my last post it also gets rid of fire ants and tells you how to get the queen so she wont be around to lay more eggs.It also says that medicated body powder or talcum powder repels fire ants I dont know if that works or not.If you get a chance mayby you could put some down on the ground to see if it really works or not.We dont have chiggers,fire ants,roaches and seldom a flea or tick on this part of the ranch but in Texas they do Im curious about the fire ants as they are where I work in Texas.I love experimenting on bad insects with natural stuff to see what happens Food Grade Dimetaceuos(sp?)Earth works good as it slowly eats away their outer skeleton causing them to die it works on any hard shelled insects like roaches and scorpions it's not instant but in time they will die.
Thanks, jpmcgrew! I'm ready to try anything with the little buggers. Hope that chiggers don't want to move in, too. LEFESElover---hope that you get rid of your problem, soon.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Aside from the chiggers, you will need to mow for the snakes anyway. They like tall grass. You might consider hiring someone to mow it before you get there. Someone in the neighborhood surely has a riding mower; otherwise your realtor can find someone.

Barbara
Exactly what I was thinking, Barbara---we had the same problem in Lafayette, LA---the backyard had a mile high of grass in the back and our realtor arranged for a team to come in and mow it. She didn't charge us either.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Breakthrough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Hi lady's and gents.
Guess what?
I took J...Crews advice and looked up the link to that web site. I read a ton a stuff on there. Anyway, I called and left a message for the owner/manager to get back to me and she did.
I have a new sweet woman in my life who is all knowing on these danged critters too.
After talking for a year on the phone, I ordered but moreover, she told me it's not chiggers. It's Seed Ticks. She said, believe it or not, much better than chiggers. We had a good laugh and husband's actually breathing again.
Thanks for all the help in here, I knew I could count on your fine folks and to J...crew, a huge old thank you
Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Ew man now I'm itchy.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #37
Master Chef

Those little bitty ticks can be dangerous if you don't get them out.
They love to get in my husband's britches, and you could take an "America's Funniest Home Video" of me with tweezers and a flashlight picking those little varmints off his tender parts as he "ooches" and "ouches" and tells me to "Watch out!"
Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #38
Master Chef

Constance---Better yet make it into a reality series---I can just imagine the title now: "What Makes Your Man Tick?"
Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #39
Master Chef

or better yet---"How to Tick off Your Man"--
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post

Barbara
Not just the snakes, but rats and mice as well. That's my first goal once we get things in, probably even before we really unpack. It's still on the warm side here, although the morning are cooling off. I'll probably have to mow in the morning, until it gets a little warm, then unpack in the afternoon (before work), and at night, after work. I might be able to talk my Dad into bringing his riding mower over, and get it done quick.

I'm gonna have to get some mice traps anyways, probably some snap-traps for the garage and out-building, and glue-boards for inside the house.