Evidence of Holiday Stress? Decompression ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix, I think everyone is stressed most of the time. The fact that it is more noticable at Christmas is because we have the idea of this being a time of "good will toward all" so when good will turns to bad will it is more noticable. Madison Avenue has done a great job in convincing us that we HAVE TO HAVE the "PERFECT" holiday. That includes personally making all our gifts, cooking and baking and hosting the best gatherings of family and friends, sending cards to all of our acquaintances no matter how little we think of them during year etc. My way to destress is to decide what is meaningful to me and my immediate family. We stopped doing cards 2 years ago. Don't miss the stress of writing a letter, addressing envelopes etc. Shopping has gotten easier now that the kids are grown. Gift cards are wonderful! So is online shopping. The decorations are scaled back. Do I really need to wrap the banister? No. The tree and the Nativity are the only things that are necessary for me. I do play Christmas music and watch all the old movies and cartoons.

Jabbur, I agree. I think that we get a lot of messages about how to make the season perfect and its tough to let things go. I wonder too if things at work get more stressful for people too. I know some folks find the holiday parties tough.

Don't miss the stress of writing a letter, addressing envelopes etc.

Strange, but I love writing out the cards. I gather up all the boxes of cards, the address book, and a glass of wine, and spend an evening at it. :)

Back
Top Bottom