"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

I'm thinking it's putting it on the first post in a thread.
Yes, it is Mrs L...everytime someone starts a new thread, it whacks it on

Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, thank you. Good to have options!

Ah, found it. Scroll down to the bottom, there's a place to check "Disable Facebook Features."
Thank you, will do that now

Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:

Then I freaked .. I had just started a thread a day or so ago asking everyone to post pictures of their kids, grands etc .. The Big Brag Book. And I had posted pics of the young ones in our family.

So I went there and sure enough .. there was that facebook like button.

Well I do NOT want those children's pictures out there for any freak on Facebook to get hold of.
Once you post anything on a public site like these it's out there for any crazy to get ahold of. You can't assume that DC is a safe place to post personal information. You can't assume that all the members here are without malice or ill will.

And despite the fact that the thread was taken down, it's still out there.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

Quote:
Disabling the facebook thing only allows you and those who disable it to not see the button. It is still there.

I just went into my user cp and changed everything over to only registered members can see my anything.
What setting is this? There is no setting that makes your posts private, there never has been.

Again, I must reiterate: there is NO new change in privacy. All the past and current posts on this forum were subject to being posted on facebook by any guest or member who can view them. That has not changed at all. I would like someone who believes differently to demonstrate how that has changed please?
Quote:
Without doing that I was able to see all kinds of stuff about people who post in threads without being logged in.
And that was the case before this was added. This is not new. Nothing you post here in the public forums are hidden from guest users and it never has been.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just a bit too worried these days and over cautious .. so for me that is the way to go.
When you turn off the option in the user cp, you no longer see the FB button or the share option, which is exactly how things were before. Everyone else still has the same ability to share a thread on Facebook just like they always have.

Someone liking a thread you start does not affect you at all. It does not reveal any information about you or yours that wasn't already being revealed before today. It does not post it to a grand Facebook page where the entire world can view it, it shares it with peoples friends who are already viewing the site.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Everyone worries about the scoundrels, thieves and perverts that are ever present on the internet. I'm constantly amazed at the personal information some people post on FB. This is why you don't know my name, where I live and why I refer to SO rather than give you her name.

Tech. Admin. is right that there have been no changes to what people could or could not see. The FB icons just brought t to our attention.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Once you post anything on a public site like these it's out there for any crazy to get ahold of. You can't assume that DC is a safe place to post personal information. You can't assume that all the members here are without malice or ill will.

And despite the fact that the thread was taken down, it's still out there.
Understood Jenny ... anything posted is fair game for anyone who wants to root it out. My concern was about opening us up for more.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

If you use the security settings on FB you control who sees what.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

I am testing a modification to this that will not put the FB like button on any thread you started if you have it disabled in the user cp, for everyone. This of course will not stop people from sharing your thread, it just won't encourage them to do so.

I can't say 100% if this will be rolled out or not because I have not tested the impact is has on load, nor tested it with the team. Working on it.

I would like to say that I think there are some misconceptions of what happens to your threads when you post them on a public forum. They are there for the world to see, that includes Google, Facebook, FBI, China, etc.. This is not, nor has it ever been, a private forum. People shared DC threads all the time on FB before the like button was added:

https://www.google.com/search?q=disc...3Afacebook.com

And that is just the public sharing.

This is a net positive for the site. More people visiting the site equates to more people that "keep DC going."
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
What setting is this? There is no setting that makes your posts private, there never has been.
Didn't mean to imply my posts were private .. just all the other info like contact info, profile picture etc .. the stuff in our user cp under profile privacy.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Everyone worries about the scoundrels, thieves and perverts that are ever present on the internet. I'm constantly amazed at the personal information some people post on FB. This is why you don't know my name, where I live and why I refer to SO rather than give you her name.

Tech. Admin. is right that there have been no changes to what people could or could not see. The FB icons just brought t to our attention.
This is true, but when people find a corner of the Internet to hang out they tend to get a bit chummier. They post with the understanding that the only ones to see it are either already there, or doing a search. Having a Like button on a thread here that is linked with FB is like giving your address to a mass mailer. It puts your posts into one of the biggest spammers hands with one click. I'd just as soon they have to work to get my info. It's bad enough having mods know your IP addy who divulge no information of their own. JMO