Forget petty vents, this is a REAL crisis...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be a crisis for me, too, since a cell phone is actually a requirement for my work. I haven't had a land phone for 11 years now.

Funny thing. I moved into my house 10 months ago, and the best deal I was able to get from the cable company was a phone/TV/internet bundle. So I apparently have a land line, but have never plugged a phone into a jack or used it. I couldn't even tell you what my phone number is.

...If you have an answering machine...
Answering machine?? Do they still make those? :LOL:

Last edited:
That would be a crisis for me, too, since a cell phone is actually a requirement for my work. I haven't had a land phone for 11 years now.

Funny thing. I moved into my house 10 months ago, and the best deal I was able to get from the cable company was a phone/TV/internet bundle. So I apparently have a land line, but have never plugged a phone into a jack or used it. I couldn't even tell you what my phone number is.

Answering machine?? Do they still make those? :LOL:

That's too funny because the exact same thing happened to my son. I gave him a set phones to use but he said "what's the use - I don't even know the number" I found it for him but he never plugged them in. LOL
In the end he cancelled the phone and the TV, just kept the internet, he doesn't watch a lot of TV so Netflix settles it all.

I definitely agree it'll be a crisis for those who depend on cell phones for work.
I get people from time to time asking to borrow my business phone because they're unable to use their cell phones for one reason or another. Corner phone booths and highway call boxes are now pretty much non existent.

Being spoken to on a speaker phone is yet another gripe of mine. When I'm speaking to you I expect my conversation with you to be private, not heard by just anyone within ear shot! Grrrr...

Being spoken to on a speaker phone is yet another gripe of mine. When I'm speaking to you I expect my conversation with you to be private, not heard by just anyone within ear shot! Grrrr...

In the right circumstances, I don't have an issue with it. But I too prefer most phone conversations to be reasonably confidential between me and the person I'm talking to. I don't call people just to chat when I'm shopping or in a restaurant, or in any crowded area. I'm just not comfortable with it.

I don't get the speaker phone thing in public where people can clearly hear the conversations.

In the right circumstances, I don't have an issue with it. But I too prefer most phone conversations to be reasonably confidential between me and the person I'm talking to. I don't call people just to chat when I'm shopping or in a restaurant, or in any crowded area. I'm just not comfortable with it.

Not to mention if the person happens to be with someone you definitely don't want to hear what you're saying. I once asked how surprise birthday party plans were going, he was on a speaker phone with the birthday person in the room!!

Last edited:
I use the landline as my "spam" phone. I don't want "out of area", or " unknown" along with other telemarketers calling my cell. I've lost many free cruises to the Bahamas. My cell is for family and friends.

I dunno. Our 17-year-old wall phone does, but it's in the basement waiting to be tossed. I just figure that if you use a landline, you might use an answering machine.

Sure, an answering system for leaving messages is included in my landline telephone. I doubt separate answering machines are sold any longer though.

I have an idea of the ages of the regulars here, and I think most folks remember buying your first answering machine!! I vividly recall making outgoing messages to beg callers to "please leave a message, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks so much for calling". Geeeeze.

Last edited:
I use the landline as my "spam" phone. I don't want "out of area", or " unknown" along with other telemarketers calling my cell. I've lost many free cruises to the Bahamas. My cell is for family and friends.

I get the ones that want to help me pay off the mortgage. Do you think maybe HUD will let me do that for them? They are the ones holding the mortgage on this building. And then there are the ones who want to cure my diabetes. Good heavens, I didn't know there was a cure yet.

I have an idea of the ages of the regulars here, and I think most folks remember buying your first answering machine!! I vividly recall making outgoing messages to beg callers to "please leave a message, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks so much for calling". Geeeeze.

I worked in the office supply dept at Sears during the early to mid 70's and we sold a bunch of Phonemates back then. Large, rectangular boxes the size of a thick phone book, they were reel-to-reel phone answering tape recorders. They even came with those 4-prong phone plug adapters....:LOL:

Last edited:
My first (and only) separate answering machine was a crappy Panasonic with a mini cassette tape in it. The problem was, you could play the message but couldn't replay the message so there was always a mad scramble to have a pencil and paper ready to go when you hit play.

I worked in the office supply dept at Sears during the mid 70's and we sold a bunch of Phonemates back then. Large, rectangular boxes the size of a thick phone book, they were reel-to-reel phone answering tape recorders. They even came with those 4-prong phone plug adapters....:LOL:

Yep and we were warned to never say we were "not at home right now" but "unavailable to take your call". :rolleyes:

When I moved here I still had a landline. I also used to enter all my sugar readings on line. So I would send them by fax to Winthrop. Otherwise I had no use for my landline. Then one day I got smart. Ended the landline. I upgraded my free cell phone from the nine dollar one they sent me to one with a qwerty keyboard. Easier on the eyes and large enough to hold. The service no longer sells the one I bought. They give new customers a phone with a much larger screen and all the goodies of a smart phone. I could have one, but I am happy with what I have. And I don't have to learn a whole new phone. I get 150 free minutes a month and all the texting I want to do for free. I mostly text.

I am presently in the middle of a lawsuit for all the idiots that want to sell me something like a mortgage on a building that I don't own. And I have been on the "Do Not Call" list since 2004. Sometimes I answer them just so I can shake their bells. Everyone who matters to me will send me a text. So if my phone rings, I know it is a telemarketer. Most of the time I ignore the call, but there are days when I am in the mood for fun.

Did you get your phone yet?

Yes. And, that's when my old one started working, again... sort of. It has been on its way out for months, and now it is barely functional. It is very unreliable. So, I needed the new one, anyway.

My OP was an observation on just how much a cell phone (at the least) or a smart phone have become so essential for most people. And, yes, phone booths are gone. Land lines are redundant.

CD

Good Lord.... I was over 40 before we bought our first answering machine... Bought a video player about that time too... :wacko:

My father had a cellular phone in his company car in 1979. It was one of those huge "bag phones."

CD

Back
Top Bottom