"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Master Chef

Funeral home

We were half hour later than I planned . At least I saw a lot of my cousins , that I had not seen in over 5 yrs. Seems like we see each other at weddings and funerals but mostly funerals lately.
Going back to NJ for the actual funeral , got to leave at 8 am. for the 2 hr. drive. The home was packed... my Aunt was well loved .Unfortunately her 3 brothers could not make it .
Everyone looked older , including me . My male cousins with gray hair and balding . You know how it is, you think of them when they are young and to see them in their 50's and 60's.
I won't bore you with more details. Just wanted to share my day.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you, this kind of gathering is hard on us..But I find taking time to talk about it with someone else helps a lot. I hope being with your family helped make the day go by with peace and love for all of you

kadesma

Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm sure your exhausted Elsie - put your feet up and hang out with us then get get a good night's sleep. Hugs to you!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

I know what you mean LadyCook ... I recently went through this when my Step-Mom passed away. When you see how old your cousins look - it makes you feel old.

I have to go over to the funeral home tomorrow to check out the inscription on her headstone ... and pick up death certificates.

This stuff isn't easy .....

You have my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
A day like that is never easy. However I'm sure your aunt would be pleased with the turnout.
I wish you had a better day than that Lc.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Elsie - Thoughts & rayers to you and yours. Yes, more funerals than weddings lately.

I see my friends that I have known over life and thye are older, funny, how I am not aging at all :)

As KE so well put it, Relaxand check back in here - Hugs as well.

AC
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

One of the saddest things about a funeral is that we only catch up with loved ones at them! I too think your aunt would have been pleased with the turn out. Take care LC.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Its sad that we see our relatives so infrequently, but you know, that the way it is with most of us, I'm sure. We get busy with our own lives, and in the blink of an eye, 10 years have gone by.

A few weeks ago we took 3 (of 11) of our Grandchildren on a little vacation, and you know, I can remember when each of them were born and it seems like only yesterday. I've never looked at myself as a "Grandpa" (thanks Grecian formula 16 -lol) but trying to keep up with them as they tore through the waterpark made me realize I am!!

Time passes so quickly-and life is such a precious gift-embrace each and every moment with your loved ones, because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours LC. God Bless.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

If it's any consolation, your perceptions and feelings even resonates with "big rough tough" guys.

I go to far too many biker funerals. They usually involve younger men from tragic accidents. The last was so bizarre I still don't know how to react.

I am a Seventh Day Adventist. Our church is behind Roselawn Park in Madison, Wisconsin.

One of the prospects to our club was killed in an intersection by a teenager on pot and alcohol. This potential member of ours was a body builder at my health club, and an organ donor.

The son of one of our church elders has congenital heart problems and needed of a heart of a certain size. Two donors died that week, a woman and our club member--that's all. The church member was told he received the heart of a "man."

Now this is going to bend your mind. While the bikers were burying their brother at Roselawn, the church members were at the church praying for the elder's son at the same moment across the street.

Life takes some remarkable turns. I hope you cope with this, and you'll be in my prayers.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Master Chef

I can't even talk about this. My friend and the classmate since we were 8 just passed on. It was about a month ago, I still can't recover. And unfortunately you are right about seeing friends and relatieves at funerals.