"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Luckily Annie grabbed the envelope and shoved it under the sofa when John and Phyllis showed up. She knew there was something in there for her eyes only.She did not want her neighbors to know about it as she knew they had a tendency to not be able to keep a secret and they gossiped alot. Not only that they were gold diggers. Always looking for something for nothing no matter who they hurt in the process. She knew they would not take the luggage to charity for obvious reasons.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Annie made up the bed in the guestroom and then made hot chocolate for her neighbors. Really, all she wanted to do was open the hidden envelope.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

John and Phyllis were also very lazy and rarely kept their promises. John threw the luggage and the little trunk on a pile tree limbs and it was hauled off that morning.

Annie opened the letter addressed to her later. Mrs Jones thanked Annie for her kindness and simply wished her well. Annie got dressed and went to the library. It turned out to be a wonderful day and the sun made it's debute around noon.

Lissiemae was crawling to and from the side of her storm ravished house collecting enough clothing to send her four small children to her mother's. As Frankie and Earl pulled along the curb to collect more tree limbs, Frankie threw the two suitcases and the trunk off the truck so Lissiemae could have something to put the clothes in. Lissiemae was putting the wet clothes in the suitcases and opened the little trunk. She could not believe what she saw.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Cook

GOOD STORY, FOLKS, SORRY TO INTERRUPT.
I didn't mention it in the rules, but you can make consecutive post as long as no one else has posted recently. (like to hear from Barbara L again)

itzalgud
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
Sous Chef

It was an egg. Somewhat bigger than a chicken egg and the color of night. It was so black she assumed it must be a polished gem like onyx or obsidian. How pretty she thought. Her oldest daughter Maddie's birthday was coming up. This would be the perfect gift for her.

She put the egg back in the little trunk and continued packing when she heard a voice...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
Executive Chef

from the TV. Chef Anthony Bourdaine on No Reservations was cracking open Black duck eggs and eating them somewhere in China. "No way!!" she said under her breath. I'm gonna hard boil this for posterity.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

[quote=itzalgud;532768]GOOD STORY, FOLKS, SORRY TO INTERRUPT.
I didn't mention it in the rules, but you can make consecutive post as long as no one else has posted recently. (like to hear from Barbara L again)[/quote]

Thanks itzalgud! I had a few things to do so haven't had time to get back to it. You don't have it in your rules, but is there a protocol for ending the story or is it to just be ongoing forever? I'm thinking the one who begins it should have the right to either finish it or choose someone else to finish it. Then I guess it would be open for anyone to start a new one?

Okay, picking back up on the story:

As Lizziemae pondered the mysteries of the egg she had found, across town Annie pondered another mystery. The message she had found in the envelope was sweet, but would Mrs. Jones have been so secretive about it? Why put such a simple, straightforward message into a suitcase seemingly holding nothing of real value, and then put the whole mess into storage? Had she missed something?

Annie noticed the envelope that had held the letter was still in the wastepaper basket by her computer desk. She fished the envelope out and looked at it, as if hoping the envelope would speak to her. She quickly scanned the outside of the envelope. Then Annie held the envelope under the light and peered inside. “What on earth?!” Annie exclaimed.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
Head Chef

Annie was still trying to figure out the watermark on the envelope and the black object in the trunk. Monday rolled around as it always does and Annie headed for the library.

Lizziemae took the small trunk and put it inside her book bag and headed off to the library. She would definitely find a book that would reveal the mysteries of the black object.

Annie noticed Lizziemae searching bookshelves and asked if she could help. Lizziemae and Annie had been classmates and friends in school and Lizziemae showed Annie the trunk. Annie told Lizziemae that they needed to work together and showed Lizziemae the letter with the water mark.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Cook

Answer to Barbara L question
Gee, I hadn't thought about the ending. I guess I felt that it would just die from lack of participation or someone would end it. Actually I wrote an ending today but canceled the post when I saw your msg and more participation. So, if it dies, I will end it. If you have an ending in mind, you can do it. All I ask is that you include an "afterward" to let us know what happened to everybody in the story i.e. "Annie married a pig farmer and is living happily in the hills of Tennessee".
Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzalgud View Post
Gee, I hadn't thought about the ending. I guess I felt that it would just die from lack of participation or someone would end it.
Oh ye of little faith! LOL It seems to be coming to a point where it will conclude soon. I will be gone for a few hours but will see where it has gone by the time I get home. I really like this idea.

Barbara