Game: Let's Write a Tall Tale Together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzalgud

Cook
Here's the idea:
I'll start a story. You add the next paragraph. And on and on
Rules:
1. Please only write two or three paragraphs per post. Give others a chance. Or you can write one sentence if you want.
2. Keep it family friendly. Romance is O.K. Sex is NOT. (Abide by all DC rules)
3. Try to keep the writing style in 3rd person (John did this or that..not I did this or that). Should be fun. Let's see where it goes

THE BEGINNING:
Annie was weary. Both physically and mentally. She wondered how someone only 30 years old could feel so down. She had everything going for her; good job, friends, health, reasonably attractive. So why was she so upset?

Was it what Robert said last night? Or that thing about her job? And then, there was her family. What could happen next? Or was it the money that was bothering her?

The phone rang and startled her. It was Jim on the phone but before she could hear what he wanted, there was a knock at the door. Asking Jim to "hold on", she opened the door and was shocked by what she saw.

Last edited:
“Mrs. Feldman, what are you doing, why are you here,” Annie gasped. She rarely saw her reclusive neighbor, which made it all the more surprising to see her now with an armful of kittens, as well as one climbing to the top of her head, knocking her glasses askew.

Iris Feldman, not a pleasant woman in the best of circumstances, glared without speaking for a few seconds. “Your stupid Tom! That’s what I’m doing here!” Stopping her rant just long enough to pluck the adventurous kitten from atop her head, Mrs. Feldman continued, “Your tomcat took advantage of my little Tinkerbelle, and I want to know what you plan to do about this.”

“Annie? Annie!” Annie could hear that Jim was getting irritated having to hold on the phone so long.

Torn between the phone and Mrs.Feldman, Annie felt like crying. Why was life so complicated? "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Feldman, but could you come in for a minute? I'm on the phone."

"Yes, Jim, I'm back". Annie announced.
"Annie, I need to know what you plan to do with the ticket. You must claim the money within 30 days and tomorrow is day 30.
"I know, Jim, but I have a problem sitting in my living room right now. I'll have to get back to you".

Annie worried...what was she going to tell Mrs. Feldman?

As it turned out, she didn’t have to worry about it, for the moment anyway. Right at that moment Mrs. Feldman happened to glance out the window and saw her son’s car pull into her driveway. “Never mind,” she said, as she gathered the kittens together and rushed out the door.

Relieved, Annie pulled the ticket out of her wallet. She had promised Jim she would get the money. She just didn’t feel right. She knew she shouldn’t even have the ticket and she didn’t feel right claiming the money. Still… “Jim is right,” she whispered aloud. “A dead woman can’t turn in the ticket, and if I don’t claim the money it won’t do anyone any good.”

Ticket and car keys in hand, Annie walked resolutely toward the door. Just as she opened the door she heard a tiny “mew.” Peeking out from behind the drapes was a forlorn looking little kitten. Annie shut the door and rested her forehead against the door’s smooth wood.

Alright Annie thought, steady yourself, just put the kitty in front of the door, and ring the bell. It worked! Just as Annie was walking to her car, the door opened and the kitty ran inside. Annie begin driving to the train station thinking about how her trip had turned out over the summer and the new friend that she had made. Mrs. Jones had been very nice to her and insisted that Annie keep the claim ticket and insurance forms for her luggage. If anything happens, it yours.

Mrs. Jones repeatedly told her that she was worth a fortune and that the things in her luggage would change Annie's life forever. Was Annie ready to inherit a large estate, an island, a fortune 500 company, and a very large family of loveable misfits that Mrs Jones commonly referred to as her "zoo."

This was all too much to think about! She liked her quiet life as a librarian. She liked to come home to her cup of tea and her next good book. She shuddered as the realization that all of this was about to change.

"Misfits... What did she mean by misfits..."

Annie turned in the claim ticket and the clerk brought two suitcases and a small travel trunk to the counter. A valet took the luggage and followed Annie to her 1994 Dodge Caravan. Annie had taken good care of the van and the luggage fit into the rear compartment. The valet shut the compartment and Annie tipped him as he bid her farewell.

Annie stopped by to see her sister and her two nephews and niece. Annie longed to help them move to a home in the country. Her sister had once been a serious poet but with the passing of her husband she had took a job. Bob, Brian, and Kathy were in middle school in an overcrowded metro area.

When Annie got home, she made her traditional cup of tea and settled in her favorite reading chair. She heard the splatter of rain on the window next to her and decided to check the weather station.

As she suspected, the forecast was for a gloomy, rainy day tomorrow.

Then Annie remembered the travel trunk and suitcases. She decided to take a peek. At first all she saw were old clothes. But then, she was surprised by what she saw next.

Lightening flashed, thunder boomed, and the house lights flickered until they went out. Annie searched for a flashlight and found that the batteries were dead. She was carrying a scented candle to the kitchen and heard someone banging on the back door.

It was John, her friend, gardner, and neighbor. His wife, Phyllis, was with him. A tree had fallen through their window and they came over seeking shelter. It was a good thing too because John had a lighter and lit the candle.

Annie told John and Phyllis about the luggage and the trunk. Phyllis said that you never get anything but trouble from these things and John agreed. Annie decided that they were probably right. John told Annie that he would give the luggage and the trunk to a charity tomorrow.

:) Luckily Annie grabbed the envelope and shoved it under the sofa when John and Phyllis showed up. She knew there was something in there for her eyes only.She did not want her neighbors to know about it as she knew they had a tendency to not be able to keep a secret and they gossiped alot. Not only that they were gold diggers. Always looking for something for nothing no matter who they hurt in the process. She knew they would not take the luggage to charity for obvious reasons.

Annie made up the bed in the guestroom and then made hot chocolate for her neighbors. Really, all she wanted to do was open the hidden envelope.

John and Phyllis were also very lazy and rarely kept their promises. John threw the luggage and the little trunk on a pile tree limbs and it was hauled off that morning.

Annie opened the letter addressed to her later. Mrs Jones thanked Annie for her kindness and simply wished her well. Annie got dressed and went to the library. It turned out to be a wonderful day and the sun made it's debute around noon.

Lissiemae was crawling to and from the side of her storm ravished house collecting enough clothing to send her four small children to her mother's. As Frankie and Earl pulled along the curb to collect more tree limbs, Frankie threw the two suitcases and the trunk off the truck so Lissiemae could have something to put the clothes in. Lissiemae was putting the wet clothes in the suitcases and opened the little trunk. She could not believe what she saw.

GOOD STORY, FOLKS, SORRY TO INTERRUPT.
I didn't mention it in the rules, but you can make consecutive post as long as no one else has posted recently. (like to hear from Barbara L again)

itzalgud

Last edited:
It was an egg. Somewhat bigger than a chicken egg and the color of night. It was so black she assumed it must be a polished gem like onyx or obsidian. How pretty she thought. Her oldest daughter Maddie's birthday was coming up. This would be the perfect gift for her.

She put the egg back in the little trunk and continued packing when she heard a voice...

from the TV. Chef Anthony Bourdaine on No Reservations was cracking open Black duck eggs and eating them somewhere in China. "No way!!" she said under her breath. I'm gonna hard boil this for posterity.

GOOD STORY, FOLKS, SORRY TO INTERRUPT.
I didn't mention it in the rules, but you can make consecutive post as long as no one else has posted recently. (like to hear from Barbara L again)[/quote]

Thanks itzalgud! I had a few things to do so haven't had time to get back to it. You don't have it in your rules, but is there a protocol for ending the story or is it to just be ongoing forever? I'm thinking the one who begins it should have the right to either finish it or choose someone else to finish it. Then I guess it would be open for anyone to start a new one?

Okay, picking back up on the story:

As Lizziemae pondered the mysteries of the egg she had found, across town Annie pondered another mystery. The message she had found in the envelope was sweet, but would Mrs. Jones have been so secretive about it? Why put such a simple, straightforward message into a suitcase seemingly holding nothing of real value, and then put the whole mess into storage? Had she missed something?

Annie noticed the envelope that had held the letter was still in the wastepaper basket by her computer desk. She fished the envelope out and looked at it, as if hoping the envelope would speak to her. She quickly scanned the outside of the envelope. Then Annie held the envelope under the light and peered inside. “What on earth?!” Annie exclaimed.

Annie was still trying to figure out the watermark on the envelope and the black object in the trunk. Monday rolled around as it always does and Annie headed for the library.

Lizziemae took the small trunk and put it inside her book bag and headed off to the library. She would definitely find a book that would reveal the mysteries of the black object.

Annie noticed Lizziemae searching bookshelves and asked if she could help. Lizziemae and Annie had been classmates and friends in school and Lizziemae showed Annie the trunk. Annie told Lizziemae that they needed to work together and showed Lizziemae the letter with the water mark.

Answer to Barbara L question
Gee, I hadn't thought about the ending. I guess I felt that it would just die from lack of participation or someone would end it. Actually I wrote an ending today but canceled the post when I saw your msg and more participation. So, if it dies, I will end it. If you have an ending in mind, you can do it. All I ask is that you include an "afterward" to let us know what happened to everybody in the story i.e. "Annie married a pig farmer and is living happily in the hills of Tennessee".

Gee, I hadn't thought about the ending. I guess I felt that it would just die from lack of participation or someone would end it.
Oh ye of little faith! LOL It seems to be coming to a point where it will conclude soon. I will be gone for a few hours but will see where it has gone by the time I get home. :cool: I really like this idea.

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom