Getting booted off a sports team forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I simply posted that the time interval between when one posts and when one can edit their post be extended past a ridiculously short amount of time minute before said post gets an add on that the post has been edited.

I like how here a long time can go by and you can edit your post here. AFTER I ASKED IT BE SO

I dared post there that I should be able to correct my spelling, thought or whatever within 2 minutes and not have my post say "last edited by..."

So now I'm banned for suggesting that in the appropriate forum area...Admin/Suggestions forum.

I like how things changed here in regard to that. Because I asked it be considered.

The admin here lengthened the time to almost infinity the length of time to modify your post before you got timed out or "post edited by.."

In my NFL team forum...I'm banned for a month now.

Here's the kicker...lol. I like to make a correction to my post because of a grammatical error or a to make my thoughts more clear and not have "edited by" be seen 120 seconds after an un-replied to post reply.

His 30 day ban to me was abrupt and has a grammatical error. How ironic. "Because of you behavior."

baned.jpg

That ban message to me, if not corrected within a mere 120 seconds would/should read..."edited by..."

Last edited:
Boils down to the mods. I hang out at vintage drum collectors, and other drumming forums. It never ends.....Some are more heavy handed than others. Guess you got the wrong guy on the wrong day.......

No big loss. I would never want to be part of a club that would take me as a member, anyway....:huh:

Kind of funny story that happened with me. I was appointed moderator on some Russian forum, of course nobody bothered explaining to me the technical part of the job. I was having an argument with somebody about some cooking issue, go figure me and arguing ;), not knowing who the person was I went to check his profile. As a moderator I had more buttons to push than I was used to it. Wouldn't you know button for deleting his profile was named something that totally did not make sense to me so I tried to push it to see what happened. Of course visibly nothing happened at the time. Only later on when my profile got deleted for "malicious use of moderator authorities" it was explained to me that I deleted the guy's profile. Well, I am still on that board, albeit under different name, the guy left on his own accord, "because nobody appreciated my opinion" as he stated before leaving. :)

I'd guess there's more to the story, but we here at Discuss Cooking need to know this information because.....??

Because it's off topic and whatever flies is why.

Off Topic...whatever.

Venting. Right you are taxlady.

CharlieD, he said I was given a warning yesterday. I received no such msg in my inbox in that forum.

I was one of the original joiners there too. Many posts, no infractions. I asked why not extend the time a post can be edited before it shows up as being edited. Some mod got anal retentive with me.

Being anal retentive.

Got a use for that? Me neither.

Last edited:
i've been worsed. That site allows you like...a ridiculous 60 seconds to modify your post before it's seen as having been "edited". I told that site how ridiculous that is, in the appropriate area of that forum.

30 day ban by an anal retentive mod there.

cas, why do you care if it says edited? i would care more about the time you have to edit. i think we get 20 minutes or so here.

smart people edit things all the time, both by correction and addition.

I dunno. Like you said....here its like 20 minutes to edit if noone replies.

There it's like....you need to compose what you want to say within 90 seconds.

With no replies, it will say you edited your post 90 freaking seconds later.

I know seeing "edited by" after only 90 seconds should not bug me...but it does...sort of.. on principal.

Anyways, I pointed that out in not x rated terms and some a hole banned me for 30 days.

Last edited:
"I would like to know his name..."

Says the guy dying who shot and killed half breed "Hombre" Paul Newman (1967 movie) who shot and killed him.
Guy nearby says..."his name was John Russell." The bandito hears that and dies.

Paul Newman western.

Last edited:
"Sports forum". 'Nuff said. ;)

Does a sports forum seem below you?
I am a member of two exceptionally run sports forums.
This forum could actually take note.

ok, so, give 'em hell in a month; just under the radar.

Banning does not mean you cannot go back. It means you cannot go back with the same name. ISP addresses are easily changed and manipulated.
It a trolls dream. To be banned.

An alternative is to compose your reply in Word and then copy and paste it to the forum after you have reviewed and edited it.

Or go "Advanced" on the forum controls and look it over good (bigger text screen) before sending.
Its pretty easy to edit before hitting "submit" and then you still have 20 minutes.
I see zero issue on this site except for there is no "Thanks" button.....:LOL:

OH.....OP. I agree about the small banner announcing you have edited. I always hated that. They don't do that here so thats a good thing.

Last edited:
Banning does not mean you cannot go back. It means you cannot go back with the same name. ISP addresses are easily changed and manipulated.
Well, actually that's the intent.

Bear in mind, I'm not implying Caslon was wrong or trying to defend the actions of the site in question but, having spent time as an admin on a couple of these sites, I do have some perspective. Most of them have rules that are well laid out, and if you don't want to follow the rules, chances are you'll be suspended for a time. The rules are usually there for a good reason. Mostly they are to keep the peace and make sure people don't violate posting standards. I don't know all the details of Caslon's experience. Yes, some mods can be heavy-handed. Or it could be that individual was just having a bad day (they don't typically get paid and often have to deal with a lot of crap on a daily basis - often in the middle of their day jobs). Who knows. On the sites I've worked for, actual lifetime banning happens very rarely, and only after a warning or two.

On one of the sites, we had a character who was constantly belligerent and starting fights with people. He was an admitted heavy drinker who would announce how many "olives" (i.e. vodka martinis) he had consumed that evening, and then proceed to bully other members. He would also talk about how some of the paid sponsors' products were crap. In short, he was a rude jerk who thought so-called internet anonymity meant he could say or do whatever he wanted. But even this guy, as bad as he was, was given a couple of temporary suspensions before being given a full-time ban.

Now if you think that changing your username, email address, or even your IP will fool anyone, trust me, I know moderators/admins who are excellent detectives and will find you out, especially if you engage in the same behavior that got you banned to begin with. Even the way you write can be a tipoff to your identity.

Bottom line. If you're banned for a month, why not just deal with it, and go back in a month? I'll also tell you that sometimes a simple apology sent to the forum admin will get them to drop the suspension/ban. And in the end, if you don't like the site, then go somewhere else, or start your own forum. There are plenty out there.

Well, actually that's the intent.

Bear in mind, I'm not implying Caslon was wrong or trying to defend the actions of the site in question but, having spent time as an admin on a couple of these sites, I do have some perspective. Most of them have rules that are well laid out, and if you don't want to follow the rules, chances are you'll be suspended for a time. The rules are usually there for a good reason. Mostly they are to keep the peace and make sure people don't violate posting standards. I don't know all the details of Caslon's experience. Yes, some mods can be heavy-handed. Or it could be that individual was just having a bad day (they don't typically get paid and often have to deal with a lot of crap on a daily basis - often in the middle of their day jobs). Who knows. On the sites I've worked for, actual lifetime banning happens very rarely, and only after a warning or two.

On one of the sites, we had a character who was constantly belligerent and starting fights with people. He was an admitted heavy drinker who would announce how many "olives" (i.e. vodka martinis) he had consumed that evening, and then proceed to bully other members. He would also talk about how some of the paid sponsors' products were crap. In short, he was a rude jerk who thought so-called internet anonymity meant he could say or do whatever he wanted. But even this guy, as bad as he was, was given a couple of temporary suspensions before being given a full-time ban.

Now if you think that changing your username, email address, or even your IP will fool anyone, trust me, I know moderators/admins who are excellent detectives and will find you out, especially if you engage in the same behavior that got you banned to begin with. Even the way you write can be a tipoff to your identity.

Bottom line. If you're banned for a month, why not just deal with it, and go back in a month? I'll also tell you that sometimes a simple apology sent to the forum admin will get them to drop the suspension/ban. And in the end, if you don't like the site, then go somewhere else, or start your own forum. There are plenty out there.

I'm not a moderator nor would I ever accept that responsibility. Even for money.
And yes, you are correct.
However, I have seen some very good trolls do exactly what you say they cannot do. Come back with new aliases.
I think part of the reason may be that the mods do not want to push it and or they just don't have the time to enforce everything. Or the troll is just to good for the moderators.

So as long as you remain civil, no matter who you are or what IP address you have, they will in many instances look the other way.
This has been my experience as a member.
In fact there have been instances where several people talking together on a forum turned out all where the same person.
One person posing as several people at once.
I don't know how they do it, but they can and do do it.

In fact there have been instances where several people talking together on a forum turned out all where the same person.
One person posing as several people at once.
I don't know how they do it, but they can and do do it.

I hate that. Happens here too. Bugs me when we have folks who lie and suck folks into their lies. I just don't get it. But...if its not breaking any rules, the Mods shouldn't be dealing with it.

Caslon, hopefully someone was just having an off day and you'll be back to normal shortly.

Back
Top Bottom