"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Ghosts or Spirits - Care To Share?

With all the popular TV programs about the paranormal - "Ghost Hunters," "Paranormal Witness," "Celebrity Ghost Stories," "Ghost Adventures," "Paranormal State" and perhaps more I have a couple of questions for all of you.

1. Do you believe in ghosts or spirits?

2. Have you ever had a ghostly encounter?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

1. no
2. no

Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm having a ghostly encounter in my freezer. Dagnabit! I just know I have a package of chicken breasts in there somewhere, where is it???

Sorry.

No, and no. Unless some ghost stole my chicken breasts.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes and yes...no scary stories always comforting encounters.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
With all the popular TV programs about the paranormal - "Ghost Hunters," "Paranormal Witness," "Celebrity Ghost Stories," "Ghost Adventures," "Paranormal State" and perhaps more I have a couple of questions for all of you.

1. Do you believe in ghosts or spirits?

2. Have you ever had a ghostly encounter?
1. Do you?

2. Do you?

None from me.
I don't believe in them either, though somtimes I'd like to.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Head Chef

Yes and yes.

Most recent: My grandmother had a series of small strokes and then a big one. Her condition deteriorated rather quickly after the last one, so much so that for the last couple of weeks she was alive she didn't respond to or recognize anyone.

I awoke from a deep sleep early one morning @ 5:52 am to the very distinct presence of my grandmother with me. I KNEW she wanted to go, but was unsure if it was okay for her to do so. I sent her on her way with my love. And felt a wave of peaceful warmth rush over and through me.

My Mom called less than an hour later to tell me that her Mom had passed away. They found my grandmother had died when they did a check on her in the nursing home a little after 6:00 am.

I couldn't call my Mom and tell her what I had felt and experienced at the time it happened as she doesn't agree, or understand, when I get that way. But that hour gave me time to be strong and steady for my Mom during her pain. I think of it as my Gramma's last gift to both my Mom and I.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Master Chef

1. Yes. I believe we each have a spirit that lives on after we die. How much that spirit interacts with this world is up for debate but I think if a person believes in life after death then ghosts are a part of that.

2. No. Not is any great sense. Occasionally I'll think of Mom and get a strong whiff of gardenias (her favorite flower, not mine!) but it doesn't happen every time.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My feeling is that there is something that makes us who we are, an energy or spirit if you will. When the physical body dies this energy has to go somewhere.

I'm convinced that my great grandmother's house was haunted. There were many times that I felt that someone was behind me, to the point where I thought it was my great grandmother and I would speak to her, but she was still in another room. My siblings and I used to spend nights in her house, she had a day nurse, and we took care of nights. It was a few years after she died, that we all shared our experiences in that house. We were all pretty surprised that our stories were so similar. We were never frightened though.

I think that I am more sensitive to this energy than most. There are often times where just being in certain places or certain rooms in houses where I get very anxious and just want to leave. I usually keep this to myself. Luckily there are no rooms in my house that give me the creeps, not even the basement when I'm home alone.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I am with you bakechef. There is a part of all of us that has pain, but it is not part of our physical body. If you lose a loved one whether it is by death or divorce or whatever manner, there is pain. Where is that pain located? Not in the heart. It is not physical pain like a heart attack. Somewhere in our being we have a soul. I believe that there are times if a person dies too early in their life and before they want to or are ready to go, they often cannot go in peace. Thus their soul remains. I don't believe that they can harm us. It is our own fear that does that.

I have always wanted to see a ghost. I would love to ask questions.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have had too many experiences with dying patients to not believe in ghosts and an afterlife.