"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I can remember someone in my family was sick on Christmas Eve about 50 yrs ago and we drove all over Alexandria VA and Washington DC to find a pharmacy that was open. We were gone for hours.

I remember it because of all the wonderful Christmas lights that I got to see and I got to be alone with my dad.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
I work at a major grocery chain and they're only closed one day a year... Christmas. Easter's not even consindered to be a holiday. It's all about the mighty dollar.
Middie, I did too for 16 yrs., so sad- greedy - probably cost more for all the lights they use !! Retired --woo hoo, but miss the income !

Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I think we should all stay home with our family on the holdays - but the holidays don't always mean to everyone what it means to me - sadly - some people don't want to be with their family - some people don't have family. I feel sorry for those people.
I agree with you Middie, we are so fortunate to have the familys we have. My Parents are gone, one brother out of town. But I have one married son w/ 2 great grandsons, and a son at home -- love em' all and so thankful !
Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Head Chef

Gosh, it takes away one of the great horrors, and subsequent joys, of the season.

The horror comes when suddenly you realize that you do not have a key ingredient for a dish, panic because no store is open, and you have to figurre out some solution to the problem. The joy comes when you pull the dish off without the item. Or figure out how to substitute for it while you know the in-laws are on the road.

Now, I suppose, one can always run out to the local A&P (do those stores even exist anymore?) and pick up the forgotten potatoes, but it seems to me the stores being open kinda takes away the challange of the day.

Am tongue in cheek of course. And do feel sorry for those who celebrate Christmas having to work.

And am kinda sorry for those who do not celebrate the day having to work.

To me the idea of Christmas for anyone should be peace on Earth and goodwill to all. Even for those who do not attach a religious meaning to the day.

In WWI soldiers on both sides left their trenches on Christmas and met in friendship with the folks they had, and soon would be again, shooting at.

If a day can do such a thing, why do we want to lessen it?

Am not a naif, but to me Christmas is a special day.

Just a thought. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I don't know about stores closing for Christmas being unique to the "Bible Belt". I'm in Michigan and in my city there is virtually nothing open on Christmas Day- and I for one like it that way.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Cook

Location: Canberra, Australia - The Nations Capitol and Home of the Pollies
I guess not everyone celebrates Christmas and when you think about it we could be working on days that other religions celebrate so I don't see a problem with it.

Cookware Consumer Guide
Jenyfari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyfari
I guess not everyone celebrates Christmas and when you think about it we could be working on days that other religions celebrate so I don't see a problem with it.
After managing and supervising for many years, I can't recall anyone ever seriously complaining about being forced to abstain from work on Dec. 25.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #18
Executive Chef

To me it doesnt matter one way or another if stores want to be open or not for whichever holidays. Sure, back in the day, not long ago really, most stores would close up shop, but the reality is that people like to shop, whether it be Christmas or any other holiday.

There are many that like to see a movie at the theatre on or around Christmas, and I dont think many would like the theatre to close
Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

In Massachusetts, there are blue laws. A group of laws dictated by the church many years ago that, among other things, mandate stores be closed on Sundays and holidays.

Little by little, these laws are being eliminated. Now all stores can be open on holidays and Sundays except liquor stores. I guess they are too evil. That is, except for the Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas when they can be open on Sundays.

...oh, also, they are not too evil to stay open on Sundays if they are in communities within ten miles of the NH border. That's because the NH liquor stores are open on Sundays and we don't want the stores to lose too much business.

All this illiustrates that laws are often made to accommodate one group or another, whether it's the church or the economy that is dictating, and just how absurd they can be.

Whether or not stores are open on a holiday does not impact how I celebrate or enjoy any holiday. People will shop or not based on what they want or need. More power to them. I stay home.

Vera is right, if no one shops, they will close. The opposite is also true. If you open they will come.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I prefer to stay in for Christmas also, but if a toy or gift requires batteries....
well I`m afraid it`s coat and boots on and off to the local shop.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote