Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where is this and what is it?

mexico-city-cathedral.jpg

Yes, Mexico City, but....

I think it's the Metropolitan Cathedral in Constitution Square ("Zocalo"), but perhaps it is also known as "Our Lady of Guadalupe," I don't know (in which case the other poster would be the first correct answer).

You can see the Aztec dancers that are always in the square.

What is this?

What is it, and what are the two ways it's used?

Attachments

• What's this?.jpg
    What's this?.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 181
that's exactly what I thought...

can you sit on that thing? What size is it?

No, Les, not a tool.

Cara, these things are about 7" high. Have you tried sitting on something that low? Quite difficult for most of us. Nevertheless you're on the right track with that guess.

To win, be more specific and name both uses of this item.

Hint: in a parts of the world, every man carries one around all day long, every day. You can find many photos of it on the web, both as shown here and in use.

A bunch of softies, eh? ;-)

Each man in certain African tribes carries one of these with him at all times. This is in tribal areas still largely untouched by modernity, where the people still live and dress much as they have for centuries.

You've already guessed what they use it for during the day. The name of this thing reveals what they might use it for at night.

Now people... don't make me spell out which country for you!

Okay, okay, okay... Giansanti, Silvester, and Beckwith & Fisher have all beautifully photographed these areas.

A bunch of softies, eh? ;-)

Each man in certain African tribes carries one of these with him at all times. This is in tribal areas still largely untouched by modernity, where the people still live and dress much as they have for centuries.

You've already guessed what they use it for during the day. The name of this thing reveals what they might use it for at night.

Now people... don't make me spell out which country for you!

Okay, okay, okay... Giansanti, Silvester, and Beckwith & Fisher have all beautifully photographed these areas.
who guessed? something to sit on, something used by the Inquisition, used to pray? LOL

The answer

I think we should name the winner Les. You're up next, Les.

The headrest is used in certain tribes of southern Ethiopia (Omo Valley). Perhaps elsewhere too, but I wouldn't know.

From puberty on, every man carries one at all times. It is used as a headrest to protect the elaborate hairdos, especially the ones coiffed with clay. It doubles as a stool during the day. About all these guys own is a single cloth wrap, some jewelry such as beads, maybe some kind of sandal, and their hand-carved headrest. For decoration, they paint their bodies. In most of Africa and the world at large, this kind of attire and decoration is put on for tourists or on ceremonial occasions. However, in the Omo Valley and a few other parts of the world, tribal life still thrives much as it as for centuries, and those people's attire is for every day, not for tourists. I'll attach a picture of my own of Hamar young men, in which you can see their headrests, and another picture I found on Google Images (sorry, can't credit them).

Here are some links to additional pics, that show the item in use as both a headrest and stool. I've tried sitting on one and it's nearly impossible! (Picutres from PhotoBank will have their logo across the photos.)

Well, darn... this site won't let me give you the links, because I have not yet posted 15 times to this site nor "established" myself as a "member in good standing." This, after spending a lot of time finding the URLs, so that accreditation would be automatic.

I'll make smaller versions of the pictures and upload them, which I think would qualify as "fair use." (The single picture is my own. You can see 3 of the headrests the 4 guys are carrying.)

Your turn, Les.

-ChicagoLarry

Attachments

• JW00-5784.jpg
    JW00-5784.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Hamar men, Ethiopia.jpg
    Hamar men, Ethiopia.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 168
Back
Top Bottom