Harry Potter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasabi

Executive Chef
I'm a big Harry Potter fan. My "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is reserved and I will pick it up on Saturday. I'm too old to stay up for the midnight party:LOL:....Wasabi

I was wondering if anyone would start an HP thread. I ordered mine from Amazon, they were offering day of release delivery. I'd like to go to a midnight party or something but living 45 minutes out of town with a 2 year old would make it difficult. I'm amped! We are planning a road trip to NM in Sept and we will get HP6 on disk so we can listen to it.

Are you a fan of the Inheritance trilogy? The second book in the trilogy will be out in August, I'm excited about that as well.

And the forth HP movie will be out this fall, they released the preview and it looks good. I expect they will have cut out a ton of things but it's hard to fit a 700 page book inot a 2 hour movie.

I'm glad you share my enthusiasm!
-Brooke

Inheritance trilogy? Who is the author, I might get the first one before the next one comes out.

I was begining to think that I was the only HP fan. A midnight party is a couple of miles from where I live. I'll just watch it on the news on Saturday. Can't wait to get my hands on HP6 and I'm looking forward to the next movie. Good reading!.........wasabi

no offense, but what the heck is a book release party? does everyone show up at a designated time with their newly purchased books, then sit down and read to themselves? lol, (i'm not a reader - the info gets into your brain too slow). wow, sounds exciting... (only kidding)

actually, i can see the value of books at least in this way. the cast of kids from the harry potter movies are getting a bit long in the tooth to be playing adolescents. in the last movie, the boys had more cracks in their voices than the great wall of china. and the little girl was becoming quite a beeotch...

I am amused when visiting King's Cross station in London. There is now a large sign next to platform 9 - which says Platform 9 3/4 - where the Hogwart's express leaves for school.

There are always groups of tourists, taking pictures beside the sign and often they are holding one of the HP books.

J K Rowling lives in Edinburgh (oh and in a huge castle thingy that she bought in the highlands). The restaurant where she used to sit to write the first novel was owned by her brother-in-law and she used to sit at one of the tables for most of the day, nursing a cup of coffee and scribbling away. The restaurant is in Nicholson Street, and again it is a place of pilgrimage for Potter fans.

(No, I don't know her, but I have met her fairly newish husband at a number of events in the city!)

Wasabi I was just about to start this thread when I saw you beat me to it :) :) :)

I love the HP books. They are so well written and so engaging. I pre-ordered through Amazon and just got an email that my book has been shipped. I can't wait to sit at the pool and read this one!

I love the HP series, I am going to wait until all the books have come out and then buy a box set. For now, I am number 644 on the waiting list at my local library. Shouldn't be too long a wait since they have 500 copies! :)

Bucky, I see you are in your "bah humbug" mood. You are to cute for words.:winkiss:

I will be checking this book out, corazon90. Thanks for the info.

buckytom said:
actually, i can see the value of books at least in this way. the cast of kids from the harry potter movies are getting a bit long in the tooth to be playing adolescents. in the last movie, the boys had more cracks in their voices than the great wall of china. and the little girl was becoming quite a beeotch...

I've heard a lot of comments about the cracking voices, which I think is kind of funny. I mean, that's what they would be going through anyway right? Or just because they are book characters or movie characters they don't go through puberty?

Right now the kids in the movies are the same age as their characters are, or close to it anyhow.

...and as far as the beeotch little girl, that is just the way her character is.:sorcerer:

corazon90, I've heard good things of this book, I may check it out.

I also like Inkheart and there is another book, for the life of me, I can't remember the name. It was fantasy like HP and a series of books. I think it's as good, if not even better than the HP series. I will try to hunt it down and post the name.

I found it!!! Yippeee!

It's a series from Bill Pullman, The His Dark Materials Series
The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass.

I'm not sure if I should be ashamed of reading (and enjoying) a book that's written for kids...:ermm:

don't be ashamed

I started reading the book after I saw my husbands grandmother reading it for her book club....I figured if they were reading it it must be good, right? So I started reading and became addicted to them. My husband and I are going to Barnes&Noble to get my copy tonight. Its cute seeing all the kids there...last time when OofTP came out my husband saw one of his college buddies and his wife there...

htc said:
It's a series from Bill Pullman, The His Dark Materials Series
The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass.

I'm not sure if I should be ashamed of reading (and enjoying) a book that's written for kids...:ermm:

I've read those books too and really enjoyed them. Don't feel silly for reading them, there are a lot of us out there. I feel like the good fantasy books are all for kids, for some reason...

Here are a few "adult books" you guys might enjoy
1. A trilogy by Lian Hearn called the Otori Tales.
2. Cloud of Sparrows by TAKASHI MATSUOKA and Autum Bridge is a sequel.
3. Also, you've probably all seen the movie, but The Princess Bride is great! You can find it under S. Morgenstern or William Goldman. If you enjoyed the movie, you will enjoy the book.
4. The Time Traveler's Wife, I highly recommend! By Audrey Niffenegger. What an incredible book.
5. Another "kid's" book is The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

I'd love to hear any recommendations if you guys have any.
-Brooke

Last edited:
thanks for the info on the young wizards corazon. i didn't know the books were written to show the kids aging accordingly. i wonder if rowling intended it that way from the beginning, or started to age them to coincide with what would work with movie making?

buckytom said:
thanks for the info on the young wizards corazon. i didn't know the books were written to show the kids aging accordingly. i wonder if rowling intended it that way from the beginning, or started to age them to coincide with what would work with movie making?

Hmm...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Oh well, it makes sense to me. At a certain age you just go through puberty, it's just a fact of life, so why is it such a big deal that the kid's voices were cracking in the movie? I don't see anyone making a fuss because Hermione's chest was growing, she's just going through puberty too.

lol, uh oh, have i been that much of a smart heine lately?
i was being serious.

i hadn't noticed hermione's umm, growth spurt. the boys voices were obvious, tho. (it is painful to listen to. you wouldn't understand, it's a guy thing).
i didn't know the boys were supposed to be growing up in each movie. i thought it was one of those things when a producer tries to squeeze a few movies out of a cast before they don't look like the cute kids they started out as.
like i said, it was smart, as far as movie making goes, to age the kids thru the stories. i wonder when rowling came up with the idea for it. did she plan it after the success of the first book, or did it come about as she wrote more and more books, and it fit into the whole package, including movies...

Every book or every movie is another year. I think they were 11 in the first book, so they will be 16 in the new one. The book ends as the school year ends and they go home for the summer.

Supposedly, Rowling had the entire plot planned out in her head from the start. In the first book, you find out about HP's arch enemy which the plot has been building to since. I think Rowling knew all along how many books she would write because even in the first book there are mysteries she doesn't explain and still hasn't explained but in my opinion she better get busy with these last two books. She has a lot of loose ends to tie up.

And as far as Hermione goes...maybe she grew those over the summer?:w00t2:

Back
Top Bottom