"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Ours are almost done. HH still has to look into any potential deductions for helping my parents out during Katrina last year - there may be mileage, and food and lodging expenses we can deduct.

Because I made so little money last year, for once we are getting money back (even w/o any Katrina stuff) from the feds.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Ours are done, but I ain't happy. We owe both, fed & state. Whoops. Reason why is I'm not in school anymore so I can't take that write off any more. Forgot to adjust the withholdings to compensate. D'oh!

TaxAct is good software, and free software, to do federal takes. I've used it 3 or 4 years running now.

State I've done long hand, as I won't pay someone else, or for the software. That will likely change this next go round with the opening of my business.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Ours our done, but I ain't happy. We owe both, fed & state. Whoops. Reason why is I'm not in school anymore so I can't take that write off any more. Forgot to adjust the withholdings to compensate. D'oh!

TaxAct is good software, and free software, to do federal takes. I've used it 3 or 4 years running now.

State I've done long hand, as I won't pay someone else, or for the software. That will likely change this next go round with the opening of my business.
I think TaxAct is only free if you're a return user. I could be wrong though. I use the upgrade every year so I pay a few buck regardless.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I think TaxAct is only free if you're a return user. I could be wrong though. I use the upgrade every year so I pay a few buck regardless.
I never paid from the get go. I'm too cheap. My cheapness is also why we owe. I hate the thought of giving the government an interest free loan. They certainly don't retro that courtesy back! Yeah, a large lump sum is nice to get on rare occassions, but think, the money you are getting back could have helped pay more bills, or could have been earning YOU interest with some sort of investment. Instead, the government used it until the last possible second they had to pay it back, and only paid back principle. Imagine if all we had to do was to pay back principle on a loan from the government! They'd go nuts!

I'd rather owe then get back, though I don't want to owe too much to cause penalties. I want to be in control of my money, or delegate people of my choosing to do so. The feds ain't high on my list of people to delegate too!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
We use a tax guy - taxes are done and we are awaiting a refund. I like getting the money back, a nice little bonus .
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I never paid from the get go. I'm too cheap. My cheapness is also why we owe. I hate the thought of giving the government an interest free loan. They certainly don't retro that courtesy back! Yeah, a large lump sum is nice to get on rare occassions, but think, the money you are getting back could have helped pay more bills, or could have been earning YOU interest with some sort of investment. Instead, the government used it until the last possible second they had to pay it back, and only paid back principle. Imagine if all we had to do was to pay back principle on a loan from the government! They'd go nuts!

I'd rather owe then get back, though I don't want to owe too much to cause penalties. I want to be in control of my money, or delegate people of my choosing to do so. The feds ain't high on my list of people to delegate too!
I put a decent portion of my paychecks into my 401, mutual funds, etc. I'm lucky in the sense that at least 5 days a week, I don't have to spend any money on meals because I can eat at work. When most people look at their budget or their spending, thousands of dollars each year are spent on food during the work days for lunches. For me, that's money that I can invest.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Done and spent I suppose if your expecting a return you file early, otherwise, you wait til the last minute.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
Senior Cook

We use TurboTax, ours are complete, filed and the return is in the bank. The electronic filing is the only way to go.

Later
Old 03-15-2006, 11:21 PM   #19
Master Chef

I did mine last Sunday. Should be getting the check in the mail any day now.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #20
Senior Cook

No