HEY!!!!! Make this Better!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still thinking, but afraid I'm stumped - I don't eat seafood, and am just learning to eat mushrooms! Ironchef, you're a pro at this game!

ironchef said:
Alright, use these three ingredients:

Sunchokes
Chantrelle Mushrooms
John Dory

Don't know if this would work but make a puree out of the sunchokes (little bit of cream, butter, salt) for a drizzle on the plate OR add the sunchokes to a beurre blanc (we used to make a cucumber beurre blanc - do the same with the sunchokes), still drizzling this on the plate or use as a coulis.

Grill the John Dory with appropiate seasonings OR poach either in wine or apple juice and use the chanterelles in a sauce made with some veal stock, cream, some sort of alcohol whether it be Jack Daniels, Port, or wine and appropriate seasonings.

Ironchef - you can tell me if this would even work.

kitchenelf said:
Don't know if this would work but make a puree out of the sunchokes (little bit of cream, butter, salt) for a drizzle on the plate OR add the sunchokes to a beurre blanc (we used to make a cucumber beurre blanc - do the same with the sunchokes), still drizzling this on the plate or use as a coulis.

Grill the John Dory with appropiate seasonings OR poach either in wine or apple juice and use the chanterelles in a sauce made with some veal stock, cream, some sort of alcohol whether it be Jack Daniels, Port, or wine and appropriate seasonings.

Ironchef - you can tell me if this would even work.

KElf, I think your first idea about making a puree would work the best. Lay the John Dory over that then lace it with the chantrelle sauce.

I know I'm not as creative as all of your recipes but - what comes to mind with this is an appetizer - maybe skewers with a strip of pancetta - skew the end, piece of monkfish, pull pancetta back over skewer and then another piece of monkfish - kind of like it is weaving around the monkfish - then do a lychee salsa. I'd give anything to get my hands on fresh lychee nuts.

I am using just the 3 ingredients listed - I guess I can add to it???

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
I know I'm not as creative as all of your recipes but - what comes to mind with this is an appetizer - maybe skewers with a strip of pancetta - skew the end, piece of monkfish, pull pancetta back over skewer and then another piece of monkfish - kind of like it is weaving around the monkfish - then do a lychee salsa. I'd give anything to get my hands on fresh lychee nuts.

I am using just the 3 ingredients listed - I guess I can add to it???

You can add whatever you want to the dish, as long as the three ingredients listed have the predominant flavor and/or are the featured items.

I dont know what those ingredients are Iron chef..... Im going to look them up though. And when Im finished... prepare for the best...... thingy you have even eatten. :mrgreen:

Ok..... I would simmer the cheeks in water with pepper corns, garlic cloves and rosemarry for 35 minutes.

At the same time I would take the chilies and simmer those with a bit of onion, carrots, unsalted butter, chicken broth, tomatillos, cilantro and a can of beer.

And at the same time I would put the Bok Choy in foil wrappers with butter, salt and garlic.

I would proceed to heat the oven at 300 degrees. Put the cheeks in the pan and punch a few holes in it. Throw in the Chilie mixture. and put the Bok Choy wrappers in the pan too, poking a hole in each. Cover the whole darn thing and wait about 1.5 hours. :mrgreen:

Hey.... who moved the thread? :huh: I was looking for it all over the place. :-p I thought because it is about food and recipes it would be better in the GENERAL COOKING QUESTIONS area. *shrug*

Hmm, was wondering where this went. Hey Sushi, good job to research the ingredients. At least know you know what they are. Did you every find out what "sunchokes" were?

Anyway, here's three more:

Salsify
Kumamoto Oysters
Mache

I must say all three ingredients are those I've never heard of. Especially Mache. To me, that is the word that follows "Papier". But I did a bit of research and here's what I'd make:

First, I'd peel and boil the salsify's root. Then, I'd mash it along with some freshly boiled artichoke heart, and then shape them into patties and fry them.
I'd lay those across the delicate Mache leaves, which would be barely drizzled with a lemon vinagrette.
Next to it would be a chilled soup, made with the shucked kumamoto oysters, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and haas avocados.

Sadly, I'd have to ladle out a bowl of the soup before the addition of the oysters to taste it (No seafood for me).

This is really fun - and educational!

Back
Top Bottom