"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Holiday shows

There are some christmas shows I've been watching loyally since I was a kid. Never a year went by that we didn't watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on CBS with all those Dolly Madison commercials.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas is my all time favourite christmas show. Charlie Brown and It's a Wonderful Life tie for second. A Christmas Story with Darren McGavin is a very very close third. It just wouldn't be christmas without those shows. I happen to love Babes in Toyland, too, but consider that more of a thanksgiving show, than christmas.

I enjoy seeing the ballet version of the nutcracker suite too. What lovely music.

How about A Christmas Without A Santa Claus with heat and snow miser? What great songs those two sing!

Do any of you remember the movie in the theatre called The Christmas That Almost Wasn't? I never see that in reruns, I wonder why.

And the Burgermeister Meisterburger! Santa Claus is Coming to Town! Tanta Kringle and all the little kringles....

I think if I could just see one Dolly Madison commercial for Zingers....

What about you?

Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Two that really stick out in my mind that I watch every year are Miracle on 34th St, which I just saw the other day (the old one, with Natalie Wood), and also It's a Wonderful Life which I havent seen yet this year.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Everymom

White Christmas.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm 49 and haven't had kids living in my home for years, but I still watch all of the old Christmas shows and movies! James and I both are big kids and love them. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Nestor the Long-Earred Donkey, all of them! Every now and then (any time of the year) I break out in a rousing rendition of "I'm Mr. White Christmas, I'm Mr. Snow. I'm Mr. Icicle. I'm Mr. ten below..." I love all the classic Christmas movies (never could get into A Christmas Story, but I love all the others). One that hasn't been mentioned that I love is All I Want for Christmas (with Thora Birch). I haven't seen the latest Tim Allen Santa Clause movie yet but we will buy it when we can.

Barbara
Old 12-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
My "must see" Christmas movies are The Grinch and The Muppet's Christmas Carol. I have them on DVD. I'd like to get CB on DVD, as whenever it is on TV I'm not able to watch, and forget to set the timer.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Two that really stick out in my mind that I watch every year are Miracle on 34th St, which I just saw the other day (the old one, with Natalie Wood), and also It's a Wonderful Life which I havent seen yet this year.
If it's not the Natalie Wood version I'm not interested in it! I love the monkey impersonation lesson.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
White Christmas.
You know...I've never seen that! I have a Bing Crosby christmas albumn, love his version of the song...but never saw the movie.

Perhaps I'll be able to catch it this year.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:04 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I'm 49 and haven't had kids living in my home for years, but I still watch all of the old Christmas shows and movies! James and I both are big kids and love them. A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, Nestor the Long-Earred Donkey, all of them! Every now and then (any time of the year) I break out in a rousing rendition of "I'm Mr. White Christmas, I'm Mr. Snow. I'm Mr. Icicle. I'm Mr. ten below..." I love all the classic Christmas movies (never could get into A Christmas Story, but I love all the others). One that hasn't been mentioned that I love is All I Want for Christmas (with Thora Birch). I haven't seen the latest Tim Allen Santa Clause movie yet but we will buy it when we can.

Barbara
I love Thora Birch, but don't know the movie you mentioned. What's the story line?

I love when heat and snow miser end the stanza with "i'm too much!"
Old 12-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
My "must see" Christmas movies are The Grinch and The Muppet's Christmas Carol. I have them on DVD. I'd like to get CB on DVD, as whenever it is on TV I'm not able to watch, and forget to set the timer.
When my son was 2 I taped the Muppet Christmas Carol for vcr. He's 21 now and we still watch it several times a christmas season. It's a sloppy tape because it has some commercial breaks and some cut out, but he and my daughter absolutely will not part with it for a neater version. Just last night he walked in on my watching Santa Claus is Coming To Town and said it was time to put in the 'christmas tape' that has all the christmas shows, including the Muppet Christmas.
"I've been chasing a truck all day, and boy am I exhausted"
Old 12-08-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Do any of you remember the movie in the theatre called The Christmas That Almost Wasn't? I never see that in reruns, I wonder why.

Isn't that the one with the mouse who sent the angry letter to Santa, singed "All of Us"?

I saw that one last year for the first time in I don't know how long... Think it was on ABC Family or something. Whatever channel that did the Christmas special marathon.

(They even showed "Rudolph's Very Special New Year" )

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote