"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Home Schooling

Has anyone gone thru this with their children? I'm thinking I should, I seem to have left things way too late but theres still a chance....What are your takes on it?

Old 08-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

No way, no how! I don't have the patience for it. And I certainly don't have the knowledge for the math and science stuff.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I know some who do it with great success, but I know some who just succeeded in getting their kids out of the public school system and nothing more. It takes a lot more than to just stay a few steps ahead of your kids. You really have to be serious about it, and you have to put a lot of effort into it if you want it to work. You can't just expect to hand the kids some books or a computer and expect them to learn. You have to model their lessons, and you have to adhere to the standards of your state or province. I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the U.S. I'm pretty sure they have to take the same standardized tests as the kids in public schools. There are support groups for home schoolers. You might want to contact one of them to find out more.

Barbara
Old 08-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Never considered it. Afraid I'd get to something like algebra and they'd discover mom's not as smart as she thinks she is .

You might want to check with the colleges you want your kids to attend to see where they stand in regards to home schooling. You'll want to be sure they meet all achedemic and extracuricular activities.

Do you have a local city website that might have a message board? If so, you might see if there are any other families in your area doing homeschooling and get the pros and cons and any tips they can provide. Your local library and/or church may also know of families in your area.

Good luck! I certainly couldn't do it myself.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Head Chef

My kids are in Gr. 3 and Kindergarten....dont think I need to worry about that college thing yet or algebra for that matter! They'll be BACK in school when that comes along let me tell you!!!

Things are just in the air right now....it was a thought that just might work in our current situation....I HAVE to move again soon....dont have to but I cant stay here much longer...and I would really hate to put the kids into school then to uproot them again......
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

It's probably easier to home school younger kids like yours, Tanis. However, here the 3rd graders start getting tested (state-mandated) on stuff. Don't know about Canada.

I can understand your hesitance to uproot kids just starting school in one location, but it does happen all the time. Think of military families, for example.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

They have mandatory testing here in Gr's 3, 6, 9 and 12.....dummies...sheesh....lol.....I know...theyve just been thru so much this summer is all......Guess Ill have to do more looking into it.....
Old 08-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Head Chef

You really need to consider their social needs as well. School is about learning to get on with others who are different from ourselves and learning to deal with different situations as well as the academic.
Children survive school changes quite well if handled calmly by their parents. When my DH was in the army we moved states and my daughter who was then 7 coped well. Then we moved back again!
You have to consider all the experiences that school can provide for the children and the fact that it would be a HUGE responsibility for you to take on if you home schooled.
I could go on for pages on this but I won't climb on my soapbox just yet!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Head Chef

ok ok ok ......I wouldnt want you to fall off......it was just something to spin in my head. I know they need school and friends and everything that goes with it.....ahhhh......nothing....
Old 08-25-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL Tanis, don't be discouraged! No one is saying "Don't do it." What we are saying is, if you do it, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons, and make sure it really is the best thing for your kids. Also, make sure that your children have the chance to socialize with other kids. As far as telling you to home school or not, that is a decision only you can make.

Barbara