"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #151
Executive Chef

I am waiting until I have 5 empty jugs to make my 1/2 batch of laundry soap with Fels. The fact that it's Fels and his mother used to use it that might be bringing DH over to our side. He used to see her with a knife, chipping off pieces of Fels right into the washing machine.

Yesterday, I made 1 gal of laundry soap using original Dawn liquid instead of Fels. I will have to find a way to get past the fact that it does not suds. I'm used to seeing suds. I washed a load of my everyday tops to try it out. Most of these tops are not "dirty", they just need freshened up. I still used Shout on the stains. I seem to have difficulty getting food to go from my fork into my mouth. The stains came off 4-5 tops, but 2 of them still had stains which were probably greasy food. DH can usually get those stains out for me after the fact using a small scrubbing brush and some cleaner he uses in the garage. The clothes looked at least as good as when I wash with Tide, and it might have been my imagination, but some of the colors looked brighter. One negative was that I still had some static cling even though I used a dryer sheet. That doesn't normally happen. I don't know if the soap was what made that happen.

It might take me a few weeks to get 5 empty milk jugs so I can make a batch with the Fels. I might even try Lava, too, because DH's clothes get dirtier than mine from working in the garage. I won't go back to using Tide again, but DH might insist on it for his clothes. Today I am going to use my liquid soap to do towels. I love saving money.

Can you wash delicates in this soap, too?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Doesn't Lava have grit? Bits of pumice stone? I don't think that would be a good idea in the washing machine, but I'm just guessing.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #153
Everymom

I've never thought of using liquid soap. Did the mixture gel for you overnight?

I generally make up one big batch and leave it in the pail. That way I only need one jug and one pail. I use a 4 cup measuring cup and scoop out about 3 cups of the concentrated soap, pour it into my jug, fill with water and TA DA! Saves on space and effort in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
It might take me a few weeks to get 5 empty milk jugs so I can make a batch with the Fels. I might even try Lava, too, because DH's clothes get dirtier than mine from working in the garage. I won't go back to using Tide again, but DH might insist on it for his clothes. Today I am going to use my liquid soap to do towels. I love saving money.

Can you wash delicates in this soap, too?
Glenn does a lot of heavy/dirty automotive work and, believe me, the detergent gets out the crappiest of the crappy gunk he gets on his clothes. As for delicates, it can be used safely on them. I wash everything in it. It's great.

One of Glenn's daughters has a daughter who plays soccer and her soccer clothes can get pretty messed up. She uses this homemade stuff and always has perfect results. And, she was a dipped and dyed Tide user until I turned her on to this stuff.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #155
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Doesn't Lava have grit? Bits of pumice stone? I don't think that would be a good idea in the washing machine, but I'm just guessing.

I don't really know anything about Lava. I was going by someone else who said they used it several posts back.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #156
Executive Chef

Alix, my laundry soap is not jelled. I just poured some into a cup and it is a clear liquid with some bubbles on top. When I use it again, I will shake it up to be sure everything is mixed together. I googled washing soda before I bought it to be sure I knew what I was looking for. I found it on Amazon and while reading the reviews, there were many who were using it for home made laundry soap, but one said she used it with the original Dawn liquid, so I thought I'd try it since I already had some Dawn in the house. I combined 3 T washing soda with 3T Borax and mixed it with 1 cup of very hot water until it dissolved. Then I added 2 T Dawn liquid and mixed it up. I poured that into my gallon bottle and then added water to fill up the gallon jug. I used 1/2 cup of it in the top loading washer.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #157
Executive Chef

I'm so angry. My husband won't LET me use the home made laundry soap to wash the towels. He said we will end up getting a rash. What a bunch of baloney! What man cares how the laundry is done as long as he has clean socks and underwear in the drawer? I'm so mad I'm going to go order a bunch of stuff from QVC!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I'm so angry. My husband won't LET me use the home made laundry soap to wash the towels. He said we will end up getting a rash. What a bunch of baloney! What man cares how the laundry is done as long as he has clean socks and underwear in the drawer? I'm so mad I'm going to go order a bunch of stuff from QVC!!!
Carol, your husband has it backwards. This soap is especially good for people who have a problem with detergent allergies. I have several friends who are seriously allergic to detergents and this is one that they have no reaction to.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #159
Head Chef

Is this laundry soap fragrance free? I mean with no perfumes or other chemicals so it smells 'nice'?
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #160
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Carol, your husband has it backwards. This soap is especially good for people who have a problem with detergent allergies. I have several friends who are seriously allergic to detergents and this is one that they have no reaction to.

Katie -He gets a lot of things backwards. He stands and watches me load the washer. He stands and watches me cook. He seriously needs a hobby!! LOL Maybe he thinks I'm trying to kill him, but I know in my heart that they would stop sending his SS check.

Cave-I would think that the home made laundry soap has a lot less additives and perfumes/frangrances than Tide does!!! Next time we have to buy Tide I'm deduction that $20 out of his gambling allowance. See how he likes that!