Homemade Laundry Soap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a child, when I got bitten by the pig, the doctor made a paste out of melted Kirkman soap and put it on the bite. It cleared up the infection. So Kirkman and other soaps of the same kind must have infection fighting ingredients. :angel:
My Scottish ex-MIL taught me to make a poultice of grated pure soap (Ivory, Sunlight laundry bar soap) and sugar and wet with the intended patient's saliva for boils or infected splinters. It works really well, but you really do have to use saliva.

My Scottish ex-MIL taught me to make a poultice of grated pure soap (Ivory, Sunlight laundry bar soap) and sugar and wet with the intended patient's saliva for boils or infected splinters. It works really well, but you really do have to use saliva.

I doubt the doctor used his saliva and he certainly didn't ask for mine. He had my mother put a pot on the stove with water, added shaved Kirkman soap and then waited for it to cool down until it wouldn't burn me. He then added the unfurled gauze into the pan and soaked it in the paste. Then he wrapped it around the wound. It was on my knee. I still have the scar. He came to the house twice a week to change the dressing. :angel:

I doubt the doctor used his saliva and he certainly didn't ask for mine. He had my mother put a pot on the stove with water, added shaved Kirkman soap and then waited for it to cool down until it wouldn't burn me. He then added the unfurled gauze into the pan and soaked it in the paste. Then he wrapped it around the wound. It was on my knee. I still have the scar. He came to the house twice a week to change the dressing. :angel:
The poultice your doctor used was for healing and to prevent infection. The one I learned was for draining already existing infection.

Good for you!

Got it stirred up and put some in a container that I will have in the car for laundromat trips. The small jug I have is almost empty and I will be using it for the final step. I do laundry tomorrow, will let you know what I think.

Got it stirred up and put some in a container that I will have in the car for laundromat trips. The small jug I have is almost empty and I will be using it for the final step. I do laundry tomorrow, will let you know what I think.

Glad you made some, PF. Don't be surprised if it thickens (gels) up a bit. That's normal. Just shake vigorously before using. I love the stuff. It's also great for getting spots out of carpet and upholstery.

Apparently I did laundry last week, so next week when I do laundry...It did gel up and I just stirred it down, the container I have it in I can shake without putting my back out.

I thought it was 1/4th cup...I'll be checking that. I'm using a two gallon and a .75 gallon Arm & Hammer detergent containers, the two gallon for filling the .75 halfway. I can pick both up and shake them without hurting myself. The 5 gallon bucket is another story, but I have a 2ft long wooden spoon for stirring that.

I do a lot of laundry...I change clothes 3-4x/day. And, I wash bath towels after 1 use. And, this is just my laundry! So 4l of the liquid lasts me about 2 months. The same amount of dry lasts about the same. I just do a lot of laundry.

I have two teenaged daughters. I wear different clothes to work than to hang out at home, so there is a lot of laundry here too. I don't think I do as much as you do though. I do about 8 - 10 loads a week. 4L lasts me almost 5 months.

I thought it was 1/4th cup...I'll be checking that. I'm using a two gallon and a .75 gallon Arm & Hammer detergent containers, the two gallon for filling the .75 halfway. I can pick both up and shake them without hurting myself. The 5 gallon bucket is another story, but I have a 2ft long wooden spoon for stirring that.

I use a 1/4 cup or less per load.

I wonder if thats why the soap lasts longer for me CWS? I use about half what you do per load? Do you use a front loader or top loader?

When I worked at a drug store, the rep from Proctor and Gamble told me then that you only need a couple of tbsps of liquid laundry soap per load, I've taken him at his word and am happy about the way my clothes come out.

I just made this last week! 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and 1 bar of soap, grated. The remaining borax and washing soda will last me a year, easily, and I probably paid $14 for both of those.

After grating the soap, I put 1 cup of either the Borax or the Washing Soda in the blender, followed by the soap and blended well.

All I need is 1 tablespoon per load. It comes out to $0.03-$0.05 cents per load, and my clothes are just as clean if not more than when I was buying laundry detergent.

I still use fabric softener, so my clothes still smell like Clean Breeze. I doubt I'll ever give that up, I just love it too much!

I just made this last week! 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, and 1 bar of soap, grated. The remaining borax and washing soda will last me a year, easily, and I probably paid $14 for both of those.

After grating the soap, I put 1 cup of either the Borax or the Washing Soda in the blender, followed by the soap and blended well.

All I need is 1 tablespoon per load. It comes out to $0.03-$0.05 cents per load, and my clothes are just as clean if not more than when I was buying laundry detergent.

I still use fabric softener, so my clothes still smell like Clean Breeze. I doubt I'll ever give that up, I just love it too much!
For two years I made it that way. I've since switched to making liquid now. I found that sometimes I had clumps of white powder on my clothes, even with adding vinegar to the rinse water.

For two years I made it that way. I've since switched to making liquid now. I found that sometimes I had clumps of white powder on my clothes, even with adding vinegar to the rinse water.

Interesting. Is your washer a high efficiency one? I have an H.E. frontloader and almost always wash using "tap water cold" and "quick cycle" and haven't had any problems with powder not dissolving.

Going to make a new batch this week. I am thinking I'll be starting to use the new batch by April 1/14. That's a full year out of this batch of soap and I gave away a few jugfuls, and Ken has been doing laundry. Not bad.

Going to make a new batch this week. I am thinking I'll be starting to use the new batch by April 1/14. That's a full year out of this batch of soap and I gave away a few jugfuls, and Ken has been doing laundry. Not bad.

Ain't it great, Alix?! Especially in light of Tide announcing the reduction in size of their product.

It really is Katie. I sure can't complain about how it cleans either. It does a great job.

Next time you're out shopping do you think you could pick up a couple of bars of Fels for me? I'll send you an email transfer or a cheque or whatever works.

It really is Katie. I sure can't complain about how it cleans either. It does a great job.

Next time you're out shopping do you think you could pick up a couple of bars of Fels for me? I'll send you an email transfer or a cheque or whatever works.

I've got plenty on hand. Just let me know when you want it. I have to go to the post office to mail some packages on Tuesday. Will that help?

There is no hurry. I'm good for several months. When you think of it Katie, I'd appreciate it. Do you still have my address?

I forgot to mention the fun I had with this batch. My eldest daughter was at the table doing homework when I was ready to stir the batch after it had gelled. She was watching me as I cut the gelled soap and started to stir. She was completely grossed out! Told me it looked like snot. So of course, I then took great giant gobs out and squished them through my hands and made the grossest noises I could. LOL!!! Who's the kid here??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom