Homemade Laundry Soap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a fresh batch today. That's 10 months of soap for about $5 give or take a buck or two. That includes the couple of jugs I gave away and the one I spilled. Oops.

I think I just used my last bar of Fels. I will be hitting my usual suppliers up for new bars I suspect!

Always at the ready to do a "Fels run." Just say the word.:):)

I don't make concentrate--I use it dry.
Alix--if you need Fels, let me know.

Dry? Do you have a recipe for that? I've only ever seen liquid laundry soap recipes. And thanks! I'll PM you when I'm ready. I think I have a while to go.

Always at the ready to do a "Fels run." Just say the word.:):)

Thanks Katie, you're the best. I'll PM if I need some help. Much appreciated.

Dry? Do you have a recipe for that? I've only ever seen liquid laundry soap recipes. And thanks! I'll PM you when I'm ready. I think I have a while to go.

Thanks Katie, you're the best. I'll PM if I need some help. Much appreciated.
For each bar of Fels, grated (x2 in the food processor), I add 2 c borax, 1 c washing soda, and 1/2 c baking soda and pulse that in the FP.

For each bar of Fels, grated (x2 in the food processor), I add 2 c borax, 1 c washing soda, and 1/2 c baking soda and pulse that in the FP.

So if I have the proportions correct that would net just about 4 cups of dry powder. How long does that last you? I'm calculating cost here as well.

The liquid laundry soap costs me ~$2 for the fels, ~$2 for the 1c of washing soda, and ~$1 for the borax. So, $5 for enough laundry soap to last me a full year or more.

Dry version ~$2 for Fels, ~$2 for the washing soda, ~$4 for borax and pennies for the baking soda. $8 for enough soap to last how long?

Sunlight is just OK. Fels does a better job of cleaning. You can really use ANY bar soap. I've used Ivory and Lever 2000 as well. I prefer Fels for the cleaning power.

I also prefer the scent of Fels. It is strong at first, but it dissipates quickly. Sunlight is strongly scented all the time.

Sunlight is just OK. Fels does a better job of cleaning. You can really use ANY bar soap. I've used Ivory and Lever 2000 as well. I prefer Fels for the cleaning power.

I also prefer the scent of Fels. It is strong at first, but it dissipates quickly. Sunlight is strongly scented all the time.
Sunlight is scented? Is that new?

I'll admit here that I've used Fels for a few years now, so I haven't bought Sunlight in a while. The stuff I bought was very lemony though. The scent of the Fels really seems to disappear after the initial "set" in the bucket. I found the Sunlight never really lost its scent.

Are you saying the Sunlight bar soap you buy is unscented completely? Where are you finding it? I have only found it in Save on Foods. I might have to take a look for it though. Then I won't have to bug folks to bring me Fels!

I'll admit here that I've used Fels for a few years now, so I haven't bought Sunlight in a while. The stuff I bought was very lemony though. The scent of the Fels really seems to disappear after the initial "set" in the bucket. I found the Sunlight never really lost its scent.

Are you saying the Sunlight bar soap you buy is unscented completely? Where are you finding it? I have only found it in Save on Foods. I might have to take a look for it though. Then I won't have to bug folks to bring me Fels!
Actually, I haven't bought it in years. It just used to smell like strong soap.

I got everything bought today. Next weekend I will take the time to make the soap. I have a huge button dispenser from my regular liquid laundry soap (Arm and Hammer), not sure how much it holds. I may just put two batches of the concentrate in it and make a 3 part water to 1 part soap in a 1/2 gallon container.

The Fels was 97 cents a bar.

Alix-I use 1/8 c for each load. TL I don't know why it wouldn't work in a front-loading washer...I use Fels because I like Fels. I have also used Castille (Kirk's). I have never seen Sunlight in bars, but I haven't really looked for it. And, the DH uses Lava because his clothes get so dirty in the machine shop.

Alix-I use 1/8 c for each load. TL I don't know why it wouldn't work in a front-loading washer...I use Fels because I like Fels. I have also used Castille (Kirk's). I have never seen Sunlight in bars, but I haven't really looked for it. And, the DH uses Lava because his clothes get so dirty in the machine shop.
Would it go through the thingee where you are supposed to put the detergent? It seems to be designed for liquid.

I've been making the DYI liquid laundry soap for a few months now and really like it. I will never buy laundry soap again! I use the liquid detergent just fine in my front loader, not sure about the powder soap.I use almost the same recipe posted here but add 2c of oxiclean. Just make sure to add it slowly and outside in case it bubbles over. I also do not care for the scent of Fels soap so I bought a bottle of clean linen oil in the candle section at Walmart for $1 and added a little to the soap and my DYI liquid laundry softner. I also don't have alot of storage space. Rather than 10, 1 gallon containers setting around, I leave it in a 5 gallon bucket. When I need soap I refill an old Tide bottle about half way and then fill up with water and shake. Takes up less space and is quickly refilled.

I am interested in trying this on my carpets. Sounds like others have had good results with this. Do you have to rinse your carpet after cleaning with this?

I also really like DYI fabric softner. I have tried the DYI powder dishwasher soap and do not care for that. I got a film on my dishes that was difficult to remove, guess I will stick with Cascade for now:). I am going to try to make DYI fabreeze next. Anyone have other DYI money savers they use?

Last edited:
Would it go through the thingee where you are supposed to put the detergent? It seems to be designed for liquid.

Mine has a "dry" spot that you can use for dry soap and then swish it in with some water. I think it would be easier to just toss it in with the clothes though.

So 4 cups of dry powder would = 32 loads? Is that about right CWS? I think I do about 4-8 loads a week so that amount would only last me about a month or so.

I think I'll stick to the liquid stuff for now. I'd be interested in a "clean" comparison though.

I've been making the DYI liquid laundry soap for a few months now and really like it. I will never buy laundry soap again! I use the liquid detergent just fine in my front loader, not sure about the powder soap.I use almost the same recipe posted here but add 2c of oxiclean. Just make sure to add it slowly and outside in case it bubbles over. I also do not care for the scent of Fels soap so I bought a bottle of clean linen oil in the candle section at Walmart for $1 and added a little to the soap and my DYI liquid laundry softner. I also don't have alot of storage space. Rather than 10, 1 gallon containers setting around, I leave it in a 5 gallon bucket. When I need soap I refill an old Tide bottle about half way and then fill up with water and shake. Takes up less space and is quickly refilled.

I am interested in trying this on my carpets. Sounds like others have had good results with this. Do you have to rinse your carpet after cleaning with this?

I also really like DYI fabric softner. I have tried the DYI powder dishwasher soap and do not care for that. I got a film on my dishes that was difficult to remove, guess I will stick with Cascade for now:). I am going to try to make DYI fabreeze next. Anyone have other DYI money savers they use?
I use vinegar/water and baking soda to clean the lone carpet in the house. I think the log auction is this weekend--hopefully we can get enough logs to finish putting hardwood flooring in the hallway, family room, kitchen, and living room. Then I won't need the carpet cleaner. Did you try adding white vinegar to the DW (the rinse cycle "slot")? I add vinegar when using cheaper DW detergents and the glasses usually come out spotless.

I make my own "air freshener" by adding about 15 drops of an essential oil that I like to a spritzer bottle of water. I leave a spray bottle of that in the bathroom....

Last edited:
I use vinegar/water and baking soda to clean the lone carpet in the house. I think the log auction is this weekend--hopefully we can get enough logs to finish putting hardwood flooring in the hallway, family room, kitchen, and living room. Then I won't need the carpet cleaner. Did you try adding white vinegar to the DW (the rinse cycle "slot")? I add vinegar when using cheaper DW detergents and the glasses usually come out spotless.

I make my own "air freshener" by adding about 15 drops of an essential oil that I like to a spritzer bottle of water. I leave a spray bottle of that in the bathroom....

Thanks for the info on the carpet, I am going to give that a try.

I did add vinegar to the rinse slot with no luck. I also tried JetDry and still had a film that you could see and feel. It was worth a try, just not for me. Love the laundry soap though!

I just broke into the laundry soap I made in the fall. I found a 4L jug right after I made that batch and it lasted me til now so I'm starting my latest count on how long it lasts starting April 1/13. the 4L jug lasted from Sept 24/12 til now. Nice work.

Last edited:
I just broke into the laundry soap I made in the fall. I found a 4L jug right after I made that batch and it lasted me til now so I'm starting my latest count on how long it lasts starting April 1/13. the 4L jug lasted from Sept 24/12 til now. Nice work.
I do a lot of laundry...I change clothes 3-4x/day. And, I wash bath towels after 1 use. And, this is just my laundry! So 4l of the liquid lasts me about 2 months. The same amount of dry lasts about the same. I just do a lot of laundry.

As a child, when I got bitten by the pig, the doctor made a paste out of melted Kirkman soap and put it on the bite. It cleared up the infection. So Kirkman and other soaps of the same kind must have infection fighting ingredients. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom