"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #31
Head Chef

Interesting read, VB, thanks for starting this thread. It's fun to have a glimpse into the daily lives of our DC friends. When DH and I were still working, it would have been hard to use just one car. He went one way to work (4 miles) and I went another (12 miles) and I often needed my car during the day to drive to meetings, the state capitol, etc. But he COULD have taken the bus to work - we talked about it some, but we never did it. Now that we are retired, we have one vehicle - a 2003 Nissan crew cab pickup, made in Mexico, purchased and registered here. We can pick people up at the airport, and haul bags of cement at the same time. I've occasionally thought that it would be nice to have my own little car (we would LOVE to have a Smart Car) but we really need the hauling capacity of the truck and a second car is just not necessary for us.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Oh GB, really! It depends on where in Europe and where in America.
Of course it depends. I was not trying to make a blanket statement so if that is how it came across then I apologize. The modern towns and cities in the US are not designed the same as the old world European towns and cities for the most part though.

Where I live I would not be able to bike to work for instance unless I worked at one of the local stores like the super market, Burger King, dry cleaners, etc. Not one of those jobs would pay enough for me to be able to afford to live in my town, even with the savings of not having a second (or even first) car.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #33
Master Chef

a single carin our parking lot. i take a bus often enough. i live in pittsburgh where you can take lots of busses.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I was not trying to make a blanket statement so if that is how it came across then I apologize. .
accepted, lol.

You know, this is an appropriate time to reveal one of the funniest things my cranky in laws said to me ever,

My F-i_L and step m-i-l wer asking why DH was learning to drive and grumbling in an 'everything is better in NYC' kind of ay, to which I replied, with a smile, 'But some people drive in NYC don't they?' to which they snapped 'NO, no one drives in NYC, THERE's TOO MUCH TRAFFIC' they couldn't understand why I couldn't stop giggling....I got th giggles so bad I had to leave the room
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #35
Head Chef

If I could bike to work, I would. It's better for me. (Financially, physically)
If I could take public transportation I would. It would be cheaper, more relaxing.

Neither option is viable for me at the moment. I work too far away to bike. Moving is not an option for several reasons. The public transportation around here would be charitably described as "a joke".
And Finding a decent job closer to home isn't really an option right not either thanks to the state of the auto industry. (When you live in the motor city, *every* job is impacted by the auto industry, even if you don't work for a car company)

So I do what I can, and just try to wait it out. I am looking at downsizing my daily driver (and ironically replacing the small compact second car with a mid sized SUV - but again, it would likely be driven about a 1000 miles a year).

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

My F-i_L and step m-i-l wer asking why DH was learning to drive and grumbling in an 'everything is better in NYC' kind of ay, to which I replied, with a smile, 'But some people drive in NYC don't they?' to which they snapped 'NO, no one drives in NYC, THERE's TOO MUCH TRAFFIC' they couldn't understand why I couldn't stop giggling....I got th giggles so bad I had to leave the room
That is hilarious
Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
accepted, lol.

You know, this is an appropriate time to reveal one of the funniest things my cranky in laws said to me ever,

that is funny...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #38
Head Chef

Interesting topic with lots of food for thought (added the food part get it?)

Anyway we have two vehicles (parked in the garage) but if I really really wanted to change, we could do with one. I live about a mile and a half from work. If the weather wasn't too wild I could walk/bike. My husband could most likely drive me there. The weekends we could share a car for errands etc. But and this is a big BUT I am not sure if I could give up the independence that having my own car means. Would I be willing to give up my need over his on any given day?

I think that everyone can make a change if the they absolutely had to (gas rations, no gas) Just like our fathers before us did. Lifestyle would change as jobs would have to be geographically closer to home. But then maybe companies would move back into some of the burbs in order to staff their business.

I guess right now I am not ready to make the sacrifice. Enjoying the spoils of a good life. Don't think it would do a world of good for the economy or the environment for just me to give up my car. Now maybe if we all made a pact do it...........
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, lulu. my dad talks about being raised where every family had an a$$ and cart. it was a big deal when my grandfather bought the first car in their town.
it was around the same time he installed the first indoor plumbing and toilet in the town.
i would been more excited about the latter.

getting back: we have 2 drivers and 2 cars. i've driven into work everyday for the past 22 years (lol, into nyc lulu. tell your fil), but recently had to get in line with the rest of the lemmings and take the bus. i refuse to spend 80 bucks a week just on gas. so now i drive 1/2 mile to rte. 46, and leave it at a park and ride lot and hop on the 161.

so, as far as i'm concerned, the gas prices have forced me to do the right thing.

vb, i don't think that there's a way around this though, or a way back. as it is the dream for most people to acquire a wealthy lifestyle (often mistakenly called westernization or worse, americanization), being able to get into a car and get out at the door of your destination is part of that dream. china is a perfect example. as much as the world dislikes americans, they surely like to imitate us.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
.....I'm asking, how much are you willing to sacrifice to help the whole situation, not just your own situation?.......

Aside from a "greener" planet, I don't think sacrificing helps anything BUT your own situation. That is what I was eluding to earlier. I stop buying or cut back, someone in Detroit loses a job. Think of that on a large scale. That, IMO, is the whole situation. Cutting back will do nothing to stimulate the economy.

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentive with you, VB. I know I would lose