How many cars in your driveway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have one car for the four of us.

When dh goes to work, he rides his bicycle and when I go anywhere without kids, I ride mine. I love it. I'm off to ride my bike to ballet right now. Takes me 15 mins longer than the car and after a sweaty ballet class it's nice to feel the wind in my face.

Actually it was shown they are not using less gas by doing that. I was just listening to a story about that very thing on NPR the other day. I don't recall which state, but one of them have gone to a 4 day work week. They did studies that showed it does not save any gas as people tend to drive other places with that day off that they have. The state was still going with the 4 day work week as it improved employee moral and that was worth it to them.

Hey, that's great! They aren't spending money on gas because they have to, they are spending it because they want to. And since they are travelling on their day off, they are supporting the economy.
Perfect! :) Isn't that what it's all about? Not spending money because you have to, spending it because you want to. I'd have to say the four day work week is working then.

I'm keeping up with all the posts, reading between what housework I should be doing.
I'm already on the 2 Subway to Wall Street by 6:05, probably already walking into the building by then, actually. Too bad, though, would love to pick up a Metro or AM New York with you. (you do pick one of them up, don't you?)

Pacanis, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, just embellished what you said. I was fairly certain I had the gist of what you meant. Don't you think it's possible that as the world changes (global warming, depletion of resources, overpopulation, ozone tears) we'll invent ways to succeed? Isn't necessity still the mother of invention? Isn't is possible (and I think it's probable) that as consumers eschew some products or services, they'll show favour towards others, either that already exist or are newly created? And cannot these newer purchases, for wont of a better word, be more user [earth] friendly?

People who work a 4 day week may not necessarily be using less gas during the week, but saving gas isn't the only reason to cut a week to 4 days from 5. The building or certain floors can be turned off an extra day. While they may consume more kilowatts during those extra two hours, it won't amount to the same as a full day. It takes a certain amount of energy to heat or cool a place from a dead start, like morning. But, if you just leave the stuff running and especially slowing down during those extra hours, it will require less energy than a dead start. It's cheaper to close a place for three days straight than to keep it open two extra hours a day. Most people never leave on time, anyway...but rarely do people come in on the weekend.

Good point on the energy to run an office 4 days instead of 5. Another thought would be to make two types of 4 dat weeks Monday to Thursday and Tuesday to Friday. On the beginning and ending days there would be Les traffic and congestion.

BTW - if you are ever out or can get out, I am pretty mobile. Could pick up a paper or coffee if you like. I travel all over the city for work.

For the current siuation, short term situations are needed which provide a stopgap till longer term solutions can become available. Carpooling is one such solution with an immediate effect that is little explored. As I recall I used to see quite a few vans in the city that were provided by a vanpool company or organization. I don't recall seeing them recently. The problem with pools is they need to be able to be organized on more than a company wide basis. I suppose ther is a website based business and a good one at that in there.

AC

The only place I drive the car during the week is to the gym and the market. I've considered walking to the gym, too. It's close enough...but almost all highway. I'll probably do it when it's not 85 degrees out. I've walked to the market, too...also walkable, but only if I don't have to carry too much.

I would be a bit leery about walking along a highway VB.... not sure exactly what that would be like, but I can certainly understand if you choose to drive that trip. I keep meaning to get my bike out and get it tuned up. Even contemplated adding baskets to it and doing some of my errands that way. I gonna keep thinking about that one... I know I will look like a dork if I put baskets on a bike. But then I never really cared what folks thought about me anyhow! :LOL:

I think that would work with offices, but never retail. When I worked retail I asked why the felt it necessary to be open on Sundays, IE open 7 days a week. The manager said it was because they pay rent 7 days a week. Any day they are not open they are paying rent, heating/cooling, etc but not making any money.
Even if the office is closed it still costs them money, just a lot less of it, and they want every penny they can coming in. So, keeping the office open costs more money, but the employees there are making them money and as long as they make more money on any given day than they spend they will be open...

As Michael Douglas (playing Gordon Greko) said in Wall Street, "Greed is good!". There is the mentality we have to get changed to effect change.

...I keep meaning to get my bike out and get it tuned up. Even contemplated adding baskets to it and doing some of my errands that way. I gonna keep thinking about that one... I know I will look like a dork if I put baskets on a bike. But then I never really cared what folks thought about me anyhow! :LOL:

Me neither.
I added a "basket" to my bike tonight. It just came in this afternoon. This way I can take my bike to pick up more than a pocketfull of stuff.
It's easily removed of course :)

You should get a side car!
Then you could ride it to Sam's Club!!!!!! :)

We have two cars, one of which is on loan to a missionary friend back from Brazil for a few weeks. That car is going when we get it back! DW now takes the train to work after cycling the boys to school. I mostly cycle to work (unless I have too many things to carry). We are probably going to sell our caravan and then will be able to look at smaller cars. Otherwise get a smaller car when eldest is ready fro driving lessons:sick::ohmy:

Ok, I have my mini van, Hubby has truck, dodge neon,and motorcycle, DD has one crashed blazer and just bought another blazer. So we have a total of 5 vehicals in the driveway(one not drivable) and one in the garage.All but one are paid off and old. I keep telling my hubby that is to many for only 3 people to drive. His logic is he needs the truck for when he wants to haul things, the neon was originally bought for my DD but she couldn't figure out how to drive a standard so hubby said he would keep it for when the weather is bad and he can't ride his bike to work. The bike he bought to save on gas. I drive my van all over, I run my yougest DD to all her sports.

How many cars that actually run....? or how many nearly covered in kudzu?
Sheesh, around here the kudzu covers half of your car while you are stopped at the drive-through window at Taco Bell! Just kidding, but it sure is everywhere!

Growing up we had one car until my dad owned and managed his own store. Then we had our family car ('69 Caprice Classic) and a small truck, which he drove to work. My mom chose not to drive. In San Diego we walked a lot and took the bus. When we moved to Vista, in North San Diego County, there were no buses, so we walked a lot and took cabs if we needed to. Later we took the bus a lot and still walked.

James and I live in the country. We could walk to town, but it wouldn't be a fun walk. The only public transportation in our tiny town are a few taxi-cabs. We had a 1996 Toyota Corolla (bought in 1997). A few years ago we bought a 1992 Geo Storm on ebay. James was driving that one to school, and I was using the Toyota. On May 30th we bought a 2007 Chrysler 300 (our intent was always to buy a year-old car--almost new, but much cheaper) and gave the Toyota to my best friend. The Storm needs a little work (it currently stalls quite a bit), so we use the 300 when we go somewhere together. I'm more scared to stall in intersections than James is, so when we each need a car, he takes the Storm and I take the 300. We chose the 300 because we want something more comfortable for James to ride in, and we plan to take it on our vacation. Its gas mileage isn't as good as the Toyota's, but it isn't too bad either. The storm gets good mileage. When more work has been done on it and we can depend on it more, we plan to use it more.

Another thing is, I'm not working right now. I stay home a lot, but I need a car to shop, go to the post office, etc. James is getting ready to start a new job. If and when I get another job, we will each definitely need a car.

:)Barbara

...His logic is he needs the truck for when he wants to haul things...
James keeps saying he would like a truck. When I ask him why, he says the same thing, that he needs to haul things. I asked him, "How many times do you need to haul something? Maybe once or twice a year at the most? You can borrow a friend's truck for that!"

:)Barbara

It's funny because everyone in our family owns a truck, and I keep telling him to sell his and just borrow one if he needs to, but he says I hate borrowing stuff. I'm just going to keep mine.

When I was little (about 10) we had only one, my Dad worked a block from the house and Mom worked from home.... Never had 2 until my Grandpa died and we inherited his '76 Granada.
The first "family vehicle" was a '69 Camaro! I really wish they would've kept that when we moved here. :( Instead tey kept that yucky old Granada.... I think learning to drive with the Camaro woulda been MUCH more fun!

Now I am thinking carpool. There is a woman one street over from me going to school too. She drops her baby off on my street. Hmmmm instead of just a wave maybe I'll could stick my thumb out.

Now I am thinking carpool. There is a woman one street over from me going to school too. She drops her baby off on my street. Hmmmm instead of just a wave maybe I'll could stick my thumb out.
Not a bad idea, at all. When it comes to carpooling, you have to find people as dedicated to conservation as you are. You could take turns. She could pick you up one week, and leaver her car parked in your driveway another week (since she has the baby to drop off). Good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom