"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #61
Executive Chef

We have one car for the four of us.

When dh goes to work, he rides his bicycle and when I go anywhere without kids, I ride mine. I love it. I'm off to ride my bike to ballet right now. Takes me 15 mins longer than the car and after a sweaty ballet class it's nice to feel the wind in my face.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Actually it was shown they are not using less gas by doing that. I was just listening to a story about that very thing on NPR the other day. I don't recall which state, but one of them have gone to a 4 day work week. They did studies that showed it does not save any gas as people tend to drive other places with that day off that they have. The state was still going with the 4 day work week as it improved employee moral and that was worth it to them.
Hey, that's great! They aren't spending money on gas because they have to, they are spending it because they want to. And since they are travelling on their day off, they are supporting the economy.
Perfect! Isn't that what it's all about? Not spending money because you have to, spending it because you want to. I'd have to say the four day work week is working then.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer

Good point pacanis.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #64
Executive Chef

I'm keeping up with all the posts, reading between what housework I should be doing.
I'm already on the 2 Subway to Wall Street by 6:05, probably already walking into the building by then, actually. Too bad, though, would love to pick up a Metro or AM New York with you. (you do pick one of them up, don't you?)

Pacanis, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, just embellished what you said. I was fairly certain I had the gist of what you meant. Don't you think it's possible that as the world changes (global warming, depletion of resources, overpopulation, ozone tears) we'll invent ways to succeed? Isn't necessity still the mother of invention? Isn't is possible (and I think it's probable) that as consumers eschew some products or services, they'll show favour towards others, either that already exist or are newly created? And cannot these newer purchases, for wont of a better word, be more user [earth] friendly?

People who work a 4 day week may not necessarily be using less gas during the week, but saving gas isn't the only reason to cut a week to 4 days from 5. The building or certain floors can be turned off an extra day. While they may consume more kilowatts during those extra two hours, it won't amount to the same as a full day. It takes a certain amount of energy to heat or cool a place from a dead start, like morning. But, if you just leave the stuff running and especially slowing down during those extra hours, it will require less energy than a dead start. It's cheaper to close a place for three days straight than to keep it open two extra hours a day. Most people never leave on time, anyway...but rarely do people come in on the weekend.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #65
Head Chef

I wish they would make it a law, four day work weeks.. lol...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #66
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Good point on the energy to run an office 4 days instead of 5. Another thought would be to make two types of 4 dat weeks Monday to Thursday and Tuesday to Friday. On the beginning and ending days there would be Les traffic and congestion.

BTW - if you are ever out or can get out, I am pretty mobile. Could pick up a paper or coffee if you like. I travel all over the city for work.

For the current siuation, short term situations are needed which provide a stopgap till longer term solutions can become available. Carpooling is one such solution with an immediate effect that is little explored. As I recall I used to see quite a few vans in the city that were provided by a vanpool company or organization. I don't recall seeing them recently. The problem with pools is they need to be able to be organized on more than a company wide basis. I suppose ther is a website based business and a good one at that in there.

AC
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
The only place I drive the car during the week is to the gym and the market. I've considered walking to the gym, too. It's close enough...but almost all highway. I'll probably do it when it's not 85 degrees out. I've walked to the market, too...also walkable, but only if I don't have to carry too much.
I would be a bit leery about walking along a highway VB.... not sure exactly what that would be like, but I can certainly understand if you choose to drive that trip. I keep meaning to get my bike out and get it tuned up. Even contemplated adding baskets to it and doing some of my errands that way. I gonna keep thinking about that one... I know I will look like a dork if I put baskets on a bike. But then I never really cared what folks thought about me anyhow!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #68
Master Chef

I think that would work with offices, but never retail. When I worked retail I asked why the felt it necessary to be open on Sundays, IE open 7 days a week. The manager said it was because they pay rent 7 days a week. Any day they are not open they are paying rent, heating/cooling, etc but not making any money.
Even if the office is closed it still costs them money, just a lot less of it, and they want every penny they can coming in. So, keeping the office open costs more money, but the employees there are making them money and as long as they make more money on any given day than they spend they will be open...

As Michael Douglas (playing Gordon Greko) said in Wall Street, "Greed is good!". There is the mentality we have to get changed to effect change.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
...I keep meaning to get my bike out and get it tuned up. Even contemplated adding baskets to it and doing some of my errands that way. I gonna keep thinking about that one... I know I will look like a dork if I put baskets on a bike. But then I never really cared what folks thought about me anyhow!
Me neither.
I added a "basket" to my bike tonight. It just came in this afternoon. This way I can take my bike to pick up more than a pocketfull of stuff.
It's easily removed of course
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bag5.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	4489  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
You should get a side car!
Then you could ride it to Sam's Club!!!!!! :)