"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Master Chef

How to keep your cat off your computer

Some new software out...

PawSense helps you catproof your computer.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Are you serious?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

And it cost $20 (or $19.99 for you tech folks). I think it might only work if your cat lays on the keyboard and nibbles on the mouse. But in that case you will never know, will you?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Sous Chef

LOL. What will they think of next?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Our cat doesn't care about the keyboards but she loves to chew wires! We've had her teeth checked and there's nothing wrong there but she's destroyed 3 power supplies so far and nearly every cord in the house has her teeth marks on it! I keep telling her if she doesn't stop she's gonna look like she got a permanent wave but she doesn't listen! Cats!

Still she is the Queen of the House (though the poodle occasionally challenges her royalty!) and we adore her - we've tried the bad tasting stuff and everything else we can think of - nothing stops her.

Suggestions welcome!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our children (cats) don't like anything spicy or hot. Have you tried wiping the cords with Tabasco sauce? Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
nothing stops her.
And nothing ever will.

Like an animal whistle, she can hear the noise in the electrical cords and it is driving her nuts. She will probably attack a cord that is unplugged as well just because she identifies it as being a source of the noise.

Some people find TV annoying because the laughter sound is technically engineered.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I work for a company that sells and supports software for Veterinarians. A very large majority of Veterinary clinics have a "Clinic Cat" who lives at the clinic full time.

I can tell you in the 10 years I have worked there, that it is not common at all for a clinic cat to do some sort of damage to whatever record(s) were open at the time.

I have two cats myself, and luckily, I don't have any problems with them laying on the keyboard. But, when I asked a Veterinarian one time about how to proactively keep a cat out of somewhere you don't want a cat, and he gave me the best advice.. He said "Whatever the deterrant, it needs to be god that acts it." Meaning, if you want your cat to stay off the kitchen counter, the mere act of you spraying your cat is not enough. Because then all the cat learns is not to be on the Kitchen counter when you are around with a spray bottle.

Funny stuff! I won't be buying it, and I likely won't be promoting it, but it does have some merit for people that have cats that seem to like the massaging attributes of a Keyboard.. :)

-Brad
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I heard cats dont like citrus like lemons or oranges.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My cat is a pretty good typist so this probably wouldn't catch him. lol Actually my cat isn't that interested in my computer. He drives me nuts in other ways. He will practically try to climb in my mouth to get at chicken, but he doesn't care about the computer. I used to have a cat who was fascinated with the printer. I had to keep an eye on her whenever I printed anything.

Barbara