I Can Not Do This Kitchen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I moved out on my own and set up the kitchen, I bought what I could afford. Over the last 13 years I made good use of those things and have been replacing many of them with high quality things. The high quality stuff isn't making me a better cook, but just making it more of a pleasure to cook. I shop sales and discount stores. It helps to have a list of things in your head and not expect them "right now" but pick them up when you see great deals on them.

Thrift stores are great places for dinnerware and serving pieces. I am not interested in having matching everything, instead I have a few base colors that I like and look for those in serving pieces so that everything kinda coordinates. I like this approach because it is uniquely my own!

Completely agree GG. I too pull out a stainless steel bowl if I ever need a double boiler even though I actually got the insert with a set of pots and pans. As those pans wear out I replace what I use most and what will multi-task. I've been getting rid of more things than I never should have bought in the first place.

I buy many items at thrift shops and estate sales experiment with them and then send them on their way. I do it mainly to satisfy my curiosity about some of the odd items I see in the stores. I call it my catch and release program.

I got used to making do or multi tasking when I was starting out. I had very few things to work with. I always had to wash up things as I went along so I could use them again in the same cooking session. Being young and poor helped me to learn to think ahead, prioritize, be neat and more creative in all areas of my life. It also helped me decide what things are really important and deserve space in my kitchen. My kitchen is small, but I still have room for a chef! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A great place to shop is the Home Goods store. I bought my sister a six quart Dutch Oven by Le Creuset for $40.00 as a Christmas present. They buy out stores that are closing and you can get some great bargains. I can't go in there and come out with empty hands. I close my eyes as I walk by. :angel:

Cat, just take a deep breath. Good. I think you have acquired all the items and more you must have in order to cook a good meal. I understand you thinking you need everything today, but you are young. Keep in mind your Mom and DA, plus many of us here at DC, are much older than you and have been collecting our cookware, small appliances, and dinnerware for years and years...and decades. By now (I'm 62 and married almost 39 years) I've gotten to the point of looking at all of the "stuff" I have and think I could make do with much less. "Things" do not make you a good cook, love does. Worry about the basics, use them for a while (a couple of years, not a couple of weeks ;) ) and then buy what you need because you need it and not because you think you'll need it. I bet you would turn out a lovely and enjoyable meal for your parents and DA if all you had was a large fry pan and a 6-quart dutch oven.

How did you know of this? I did use DA's large fry pan and her dutch oven. It was a wonderful meal but how did you know of this? I did not post of this.

I thank you so very much! I did know you all are with more experience of cooking and I try to learn of this.

With love,
~Cat

Thank you all! This is so wonderful of help! I do love the thrift stores.

I shall look of those ideas, and I shall try to do my best of a kitchen.

Please be patient of me. This is very new of me. But I shall remember all these!

I thank you all!

With love,
~Cat

How did you know of this? I did use DA's large fry pan and her dutch oven. It was a wonderful meal but how did you know of this? I did not post of this....

It was easy Cat. If I was told I could take only TWO pans of mine to a desert island I would pick my 12" Lodge cast iron pan and my 6-quart Lodge enamel stock pot as my two. ;)

Back
Top Bottom