"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Just don't to take your tambourine! You will need it for the dancing.
Oh yes! I will not forget my tambourine. And if they have good cookware, I shall cook for them also!

With love,
~Cat

Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Master Chef

Cat, just take a deep breath. Good. I think you have acquired all the items and more you must have in order to cook a good meal. I understand you thinking you need everything today, but you are young. Keep in mind your Mom and DA, plus many of us here at DC, are much older than you and have been collecting our cookware, small appliances, and dinnerware for years and years...and decades. By now (I'm 62 and married almost 39 years) I've gotten to the point of looking at all of the "stuff" I have and think I could make do with much less. "Things" do not make you a good cook, love does. Worry about the basics, use them for a while (a couple of years, not a couple of weeks ) and then buy what you need because you need it and not because you think you'll need it. I bet you would turn out a lovely and enjoyable meal for your parents and DA if all you had was a large fry pan and a 6-quart dutch oven.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Master Chef

I agree with CG, relax!

Once you have the basics the special things will find you over time. If you buy everything at once you will have a very nice kitchen, but I don't think it will express you as much as finding things that you truly love and cherish, that takes a lifetime and not a great deal of money.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Cat. We have a saying (this may be international, for all I know): "Rome wasn't built in a day."

You don't have to have everything all at once. I got married when I was 21 and even with two wedding showers and wedding gifts, I didn't have as much as you do now. And almost 30 years later, I'm still collecting things. Several years ago, I decided to replace my cheap glass baking dishes with Le Creuset because it's so beautiful, but I sure didn't spend $1,000 to get it all at once. I buy one or two pieces a year at the outlet (discount) store.

Here's an idea: I have a friend who likes to decorate her table from The Dollar Store. Since everything is so inexpensive, she has acquired over time items that change with the seasons and holidays. Since you have such colorful dishes, you might want to use solid colors for candles and napkins, for example. And I agree, your mother will likely be happy to help you pick out some things when she arrives.

Take a few more deep breaths and enjoy the process.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Btw, here's my double boiler: http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Quart-...dp/B0000VLPZ8/ I just set it over a saucepan. I don't use it much, so I don't need pans dedicated for just that. Try to avoid uni-taskers, or items that have only one use in the kitchen. They usually just take up space and aren't used much.

One more thought. Do you really need both a blender and a food processor? What for? For a lot of things, they are interchangeable.

After Christmas, lots of these items will go on sale and you will save money by waiting until then to buy them.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Head Chef

Cat, you are just starting out. No one expects you to have all of the things you would find in a long established household. In fact it is very charming to see what a young cook can do with just the basics. As you already know the Goodwill store can be a great source for tableware. I have found some really high end stuff over the years...but it does take years. So give yourself a break. You will do just fine.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Thank you, Princess! I shall look of that. I do not need matching things. I just need things of this which will serve its purpose well for me. I see many of the Cuisinart appliances which are very nice.

I shall look to this! Do you have these matching appliances?

With love,
~Cat
No, I do not! I have tools that are quality, I don't mind spending more to get better quality, but like others have mentioned. Many of these appliances I never had until recently and I love kitchen toys (appliances that serve one purpose).
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

Thank you, Princess! I shall look of that. I do not need matching things. I just need things of this which will serve its purpose well for me. I see many of the Cuisinart appliances which are very nice.

I shall look to this! Do you have these matching appliances?

With love,
~Cat
Hee hee! We renovated our kitchen several years ago and even though we bought our major appliances all at one time for that, they are all from different manufacturers - Fisher & Paykel dishwasher, Maytag refrigerator, GE Profile microwave and Jenn-Air stove. Take your time and learn what you like and want before rushing out to spend a lot of money.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, have you discovered Pinterest yet? Check this out: Pinterest - rustic tablescapes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Btw, here's my double boiler: Amazon.com: Fox Run 1.25 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl: Kitchen & Dining I just set it over a saucepan. I don't use it much, so I don't need pans dedicated for just that. Try to avoid uni-taskers, or items that have only one use in the kitchen. They usually just take up space and aren't used much.......
Completely agree GG. I too pull out a stainless steel bowl if I ever need a double boiler even though I actually got the insert with a set of pots and pans. As those pans wear out I replace what I use most and what will multi-task. I've been getting rid of more things than I ever should have bought in the first place.

Tags
kitchen