"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Small, or even tiny kitchens are fine as long as they're practical. I grew up in Japan and lived in their typical homes and apartments with tiny kitchens.
Practical = workable? Yes of course but work surface limitations are problematic. It is one thing to rustle up a meal for yourself and/or partner, but the test of space comes into its own when holding a dinner party etc.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Practical = workable? Yes of course but work surface limitations are problematic. It is one thing to rustle up a meal for yourself and/or partner, but the test of space comes into its own when holding a dinner party etc.
This is true.....but if I had a tiny kitchen with limited counter space I would never even consider hosting a dinner party in the first place. Tiny kitchens generally come with proportionately small dining areas, enough to comfortably seat maybe 4, at most?

Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
This is true.....but if I had a tiny kitchen with limited counter space I would never even consider hosting a dinner party in the first place. Tiny kitchens generally come with proportionately small dining areas, enough to comfortably seat maybe 4, at most?
Well, although here in UK it has become more fashionable to have a kitchen that enables a dining section, this is more a modern phenomena. Separate kitchens are quite standard but gradually being replaced (e.g. knocking down walls).
Old 02-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'll trade any of your kitchens for mine. My kitchen floor space is 7x3. If I stand in the middle of my kitchen, I can stir something on the oven and stir something in a bowl on the chopping block across the room at the same time.

First you walk in through the door and 7 feet away in front of you is the fridge. To the right is a 20" stove, next to that, 2' of counter space,...........
Wow, do you live on a 20' sailing boat and are describing your galley kitchen? :) That is small.

I don't feel so bad about my kitchen now.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
Proud American

Joyce has a large kitchen and no dining room. The counter space is of over ten feet of one side and almost four feet of the other.

Her husband has made of cabinets of her mother's china cabnet.

Is there room of this to make cabinets and storage?

Love,
~Cat
Old 03-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Wow, do you live on a 20' sailing boat and are describing your galley kitchen? :) That is small.

I don't feel so bad about my kitchen now.
I wish! No, I rent a room with a kitchenette and a shared bathroom - subsidized housing. I really don't mind the small kitchen, but I HATE sharing a bathroom. Actually, I'm one of the lucky ones. My kitchen, wall to wall, is 7 ft wide. That leaves me enough room to put stuff on the other side, like my hutch and chopping block. Most of the kitchenettes here are only 5 feet wide. But that extra room enabled me to turn a kitchenette into a very serviceable, very, very small kitchen.

And if you think the kitchenette is small, you should see the rest of the room!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wish! No, I rent a room with a kitchenette and a shared bathroom - subsidized housing. I really don't mind the small kitchen, but I HATE sharing a bathroom. Actually, I'm one of the lucky ones. My kitchen, wall to wall, is 7 ft wide. That leaves me enough room to put stuff on the other side, like my hutch and chopping block. Most of the kitchenettes here are only 5 feet wide. But that extra room enabled me to turn a kitchenette into a very serviceable, very, very small kitchen.

And if you think the kitchenette is small, you should see the rest of the room!
My brother rented a room above a pub about 20 years ago in the San Francisco Bay Area. The room itself was only like 15' by 20'. His kitchenette was a counter with a small sink and a small dorm fridge under it. And the bathroom was shared and down the hall. I think the rent was $500/month. Heck, here in Ohio you can rent a 2 bedroom apartment for that amount. :)

He then moved onto a docked yacht that his friend owned. He lived there for free to keep an eye on it. The galley was tiny. He barely had room for one pan and salt/pepper. He'd catch fish off the deck and fry it up for dinner.

I once rented a studio apartment. It was $50 cheaper than a one bedroom. I should've paid the $50 extra, as it was depressing having to sleep in your living room and not having a separate bedroom. But it did have a full size apartment style kitchen which means about 8 linear feet of counter space. And I had a walk in closet and my own bathroom. I was tempted to turn the walk in closet into a bedroom. :)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
Master Chef

Eventually, I'd like to live in a tiny house. You know how tiny those kitchens are. I also watch Tiny House Nation on tv. This could be a reality if my wife did not have her shoe collection.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Eventually, I'd like to live in a tiny house. You know how tiny those kitchens are. I also watch Tiny House Nation on tv. This could be a reality if my wife did not have her shoe collection.

I've seen those tiny house shows too, and just love them. I'd have to do some major downsizing, but sometimes it's tempting. I fantasize about a tiny little house in the great outdoors - but it has to have a grocery store within an hour or so. :-)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've seen those tiny house shows too, and just love them. I'd have to do some major downsizing, but sometimes it's tempting. I fantasize about a tiny little house in the great outdoors - but it has to have a grocery store within an hour or so. :-)
Yes it's tempting. I think about it all the time. I would also need a large home center like within an hour's worth of driving.
Since the kids have moved out it's just me and my wife in our 3100 sq ft house.....way too much space. Now I dream about living in just 150 sq ft of space with a nice wood burning Kimberly stove in one corner.... I don't mind the compost toilet....I can adapt. One day soon I'll let my wife in on this tiny house thing.....

Tags
kitchen