I have shingles :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
...and it hurts. I thought you weren't supposed to get this till you were older...darn.
At least I caught it and am on meds now, but the doc says I may be in pain for either 3-5 weeks, or a few months. I'm so sad, because I have to cancel things I've been looking forward to. I just don't want to give anyone chickenpox.

I hope you get better soon.
I don't even know what shingles are..... my dad used to say to me when I was a kid, "Don't sit on the cold ground or you'll get shingles". I gotta look this one up. I didn't think it was around anymore.

I am sorry to hear that. I understand it can be very painful. Hope you get over it quickly,

I am so sorry to hear that Jkath. I am wishing you the speediest recovery possible!

pacanis, if I am not mistaken, shingles is the adult version of chicken pox. When you are a kid you get chicken pox. When you are an adult you get shingles which is quite a bit more serious.

can you lay over the hole in my roof on friday? it's supposed to rain... :cool:
j/k j.

sorry to hear it. hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

or get a job in roofing.

I just saw something this morning about chicken pox being greatly reduced since vaccinations started in 1995. I had chicken pox as a kid, second grade I think. I wonder if I have immunities for shingles because of that....

jkath, did you ever have chicken pox?

Oh NO! My mother had them and she was old. She suffered really bad. My mother was person who never complained until she got the shingles. Evidently they are looking for relief for people who get them. My one brother got shot to avoid them but doctor said 50-50 chance. I won't forget my mother complaining long after they had subsided. I am sure sorry to hear this, you are young person to be getting shingles. Only thing that relieved our mother was pain pills, kind of went out of her mind with the pain. Her shingles were mostly on her back where she could not reach to put on any medicine.

jkath, you have to take it easy. Cannot keep up with 'normal' things. You have good family, I am sure and hope they understand. I am hoping that your experience with them will be short. What made you discover them? How did you become aware of them? I don't recall any itching just pain. Regardless when you get them, still a shock.

No Fair!!! Never been there, but I know those who have!! Not Fun!!!!!
Take care of yourself...take your medications..follow doctor's order to minimize pain, and duration....I hear Gumbo works wonders...especially made by Uncle Bob!!
Hang in there.......

Wholly crap. That's some serious stuff.
And having chickenpox makes you prone to getting it... wonderful....
Wow I always thought that if you had Chicken Pox then you could not (in most cases) get shingles. Looks like I was very wrong.

Wow I always thought that if you had Chicken Pox then you could not (in most cases) get shingles. Looks like I was very wrong.

Yeah, where's that phobia thread..... :(

Awe jkath... I'm sorry!! That has to be a bummer. My prayers for a speedy recovery are with you!

Jkath,
so sorry that you're hurting..Take good care and get lots of rest and prayers that this goes away soon.
kadesma

I'm sorry to hear jkath. It doesn't necessarily happen to older people. I got it when I was pregnant with my first child at 26. I couldn't take any meds so I applied cornstarch to alleviate the itching and burning. I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much for the nice thoughts! It is so appreciated!:)

can you lay over the hole in my roof on friday? it's supposed to rain... :cool: j/k j.
or get a job in roofing.
You know, I almost put in my original posting, "and no, buckytom, I won't be roofing today" .... you are such a goof!

For those who didn't read the info link, (thank you ladycook!) if you had chickenpox as a kid (which I did, and it was a horrific case at age 2½, thanks to my kindergarten aged sister who "shared") the virus lays dormant in you. It stays in you and rears it's ugly head when your body has something major, like cancer, surgery, etc. I haven't had any major things that would cause my immune system to get weak, but who knows...I'm always on the go, and stress is a daily issue that I choose not to let me get down. The problem is, the virus is airborne & contagious, and I could give chickenpox to people, especially pregnant women and small kids.

For those who are 60 and above: if you've had chickenpox, please consider getting the shingles vaccine. They generally don't give it out to younger people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom