"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #41
Senior Cook
Bravo texasgirl - that takes guts.

I've only killed one in my life, but shook for an hour afterwards. I was about 18 and on my way out the door for nightshift at 3.45. No-one else was at home, and a tiger snake greeted me at the doormat. So I quickly slammed the door and exited via the front door, raced around the house, crept up behind and slammed it with a spade.

My parents lived in a low lying, swampy area for many years. Dad wisely kept a spade outside of both doors. He often tells of the drought in 1957, when he would kill a snake almost every morning by the garden tap outside.

Plenty of stories of a snake inside the house too! Three in my lifetime, but one I remember clearly was a Christmas eve when I was about 10. Mum was cooking the turkey in the wood stove. Dad bought in an extra supply of wood for her in a wooden box and sat it on the hearth. About 20 minutes later a tiger snake slithered out, Mum screamed, Dad raced and got the gun, and there is a .22 bullet hole in the floor still to confirm the story.

I'm not 40. I'm 18 with 22 years experience.
aussie girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:47 AM   #42
Head Chef
Don't see many snakes here in Northern MN. and thats great. Hate snakes.They seem so darn sneaky all the time.

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
they're not sneaky, or slimy. just misunderstood. they are however, an extremely important part of the food chain.
if not for snakes, then there would be tons more rodents and bugs.
and i wouldn't have nice grey python boots.

an outdoor guide/woodsman in florida in know told me that if you walk across just 1 acre land of of florida scrub brush, you've probably have walked past or scared away dozens of snakes.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #44
Master Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom
and i wouldn't have nice grey python boots.
I don't mind those snakes at all!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #45
Traveling Welcome Wagon
My story is actually a bird story that ends with a snake. But I'm getting ahead of myself!

A few years ago my daughter got me a hanging begonia plant for Mother's Day. I had it out in the carport. One day I went to water it, and when I tossed a cup of water in the planter, a bird flew out. I looked, and there were 4 little eggs. I stopped watering the plant, obviously, and kept an eye on the eggs. The eggs hatched, and I watched as the mama took care of them. They were just starting to lose their gray baby feathers as July 4th approached. July 3rd, I went to check on them, and I saw the mama fluttering around the yard next door. I looked up at the planter, and what I saw was a snake slithering out of it, with 4 lumps in its middle. I was so upset I cried! I couldn't really get mad at the snake because it was just doing it's "snakey thing," but I had really gotten attached to those little babies!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:56 PM   #46
Master Chef
Barbara, that is so sad! I probably would have killed the snake just for eating them. :o(
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #47
Sous Chef
Yikes, no thanks to snakes, they give me the creeps. Can't ever love them. Freaking scared of them.I doubt it will change.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #48
We were once at the Botanical Gardens over by our house and we saw a snake eating a frog. It was pretty gross.