"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Good Luck!!!! One year I was moving ... and three different households invited us to stay with them, day here and there, over the move. Usually this is a GOOD thing! Haha! All three households had someone who was in the process of stopping. My husband and I thought we'd go crazy. All households would have had hurt feelings had we chosen to stay in a hotel and meet for a meal or drinks at a restaurant. But, heaven forbid, don't visit someone who is trying to stop smoking. One was my father, and he was successful. The other two people I've lost track of, so don't know if they were or not. Two of the three had the patch (Dad used it, successfully), but one thought the patch couldn't stop him and got really, really sick with nicotine overdose.

The real thing is that you have to be doing it for you; not your spouse, your children, your friends. Even then it is very hard.

I never started that bad habit (believe me, I have my own vice) because I watched Mom stop when I was 12 and decided, never.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you; good luck.

Oh, yes, it helped that Daddy is skinny, and he kept a jar of candy nearby.
Oh I wish I was skinny... I've been awake for 5 hours...doing very well and Shrek isn't throwing money at me telling me to go buy a pack of cigarettes...I must be behaving myself.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Still, I'm smoking. I'm planning it to stop but, I really don't know when. Hope you'd be my inspiration and stop it totally. I'm starting to get old and somehow afraid of what may come to me. :)

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh I know that feeling, I'm an expert too...just haven't managed to complete the finale!

Thanks, Andy...I'll be screaming for help.
Actually, statistically speaking, the chance of success at quitting goes up with the number of times you have tried to quit before.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

When I quit I had a lot of energy to work off. Lots of cleaning at home, walking at work, and I drank a lot of water ( still don't know why but I did). If you get edgy or anxious, get up and walk away, especially at work.

And remember.. just take it one day at a time.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I will be getting the patch or something else from my doctor in a month or two. I have been cutting back for quite a while. I used to smoke 34 cigs/day on average and now it's 8. That was my doctor's suggestion. I have tried the gum - it worked until I quit chewing it. I have tried the patch, but I had a reaction to the adhesive. If I try the patch again, it will be a different brand.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
Still, I'm smoking. I'm planning it to stop but, I really don't know when. Hope you'd be my inspiration and stop it totally. I'm starting to get old and somehow afraid of what may come to me. :)

Talk to your doctor, see what information he has...I am loving the Chantix...This has been the least stress way I've ever tried.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Actually, statistically speaking, the chance of success at quitting goes up with the number of times you have tried to quit before.
Then this one should be for the Win! I am quitting!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
When I quit I had a lot of energy to work off. Lots of cleaning at home, walking at work, and I drank a lot of water ( still don't know why but I did). If you get edgy or anxious, get up and walk away, especially at work.

And remember.. just take it one day at a time.

Yes, today, I'm getting through today. Shrek is still smoking, I was in his office a bit ago and could have swiped one...I didn't, even though he would never know. But, I would!

Walking away is working for me, too!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

James had quit once before but a counselor he was seeing (after his best friend suddenly died) said she didn't want to smoke alone and talked him into smoking with her. Not very professional in my opinion!

I think one reason it was easier for him to quit this time was that as a courtesy to me he did not smoke in the house or in the car, so that automatically cut down his usage. And he was just plain ready this time.

Barbara
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
James had quit once before but a counselor he was seeing (after his best friend suddenly died) said she didn't want to smoke alone and talked him into smoking with her. Not very professional in my opinion!

I think one reason it was easier for him to quit this time was that as a courtesy to me he did not smoke in the house or in the car, so that automatically cut down his usage. And he was just plain ready this time.

Barbara
Nope not professional.

I've been ready, just getting my Doc to go along. I'm glad I chose this route.