"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #81
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I went cold turkey on coffee January 1, 2008. Man did I have a headache for three weeks. Now, I laugh at my DH who can't get going without his morning cup of tea or a friend who comes to stay with me every now and again (she has to bring her coffee maker--got rid of mine) and her own coffee. She drags around until she gets her caffeine hit. I discovered I didn't even like the taste of coffee--hence, the reason I quit. I do use coffee in recipes, but don't drink it (well, I drink it about 2-3 times a year after dinner at a friend's).
I'm real addicted to coffee. I do think it's more of a mental thing. I give you props for quitting. I would be that guy who has the headaches. I am down to one cup a day.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #82
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'll give uo everything else, I refuse to give up my coffee...the doctor knows better than to even mention it.

I gave in and bought egg-beaters today...we'll see. Also swapped out some items we were buying for those with less sodium. I think the salt thing is going to be tougher than the fat.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

good job, your highness. i quit salting food thirty years ago. i buy anything that is lightly salted or no salt that i can. now the coffee questions. dr. told me it raises your blood pressure. told him that "if i give up everything you say, might as well get busy digging my grave." i have given up, sex, spirits and for the most part sugar. refuse to do more. i know that everyone dies from something. no one goes out from good health. lol
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #84
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
good job, your highness. i quit salting food thirty years ago. i buy anything that is lightly salted or no salt that i can. now the coffee questions. dr. told me it raises your blood pressure. told him that "if i give up everything you say, might as well get busy digging my grave." i have given up, sex, spirits and for the most part sugar. refuse to do more. i know that everyone dies from something. no one goes out from good health. lol
The salt thing is crazy, I barely salt anything as it is and use only fresh ingredients. The chili verde I'm making tonight needed about 1/2 tsp of salt for a 2 quart pot, once I had it cooked.

I told my dr. the same thing...after giving up almost everything else, I have to keep my coffee. I'll still use regular sugar, too.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #85
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
This is a great article on the health affects of coffee. It explains why the opinion on whether coffee is good or bad keeps flip flopping (coffee is good for some things, bad for others, and of course like anything, isn't good for everyone), and how a lot of previous studies didn't take other diet and exercise factors into account. It also explains that someone who is not used to caffeine will see a more dramatic raise in blood pressure from drinking coffee, but after just one week the effect will be less substantial. There are quite a few other interesting facts, but I thought I'd throw a few out there for the people who don't feel like reading the whole article ;)

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...stions/coffee/
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #86
Master Chef

Every once in awhile an acquaintance will say something about this or that bad habit, and I joke, "You do know what the mortality rate is in this country is, don't you?" You'd be surprised at how almost everyone has to stop and think for a minute!

It cracks me up when someone dies (be it a celebrity or an acquaintance) and someone says, well he died of .... (whatever), he shouldn't have (take your pick, eaten that fatty breakfasts, drink so much, smoked). Well, OK if the person was young, but when the person was over 90 ...

When I was younger, old people just died of old age. Heart disease, cancer, etc. just wasn't mentioned. Heck, look at Jack LaLanne! Didn't he have another decade in him?!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have no desire to stress myself out quitting something I enjoy.

The mere thought of giving up coffee...

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #88
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, simply put...I am NO LONGER at risk for a heart attack...three weeks ago, the day after I quit smoking, I had a heart attack.

I do not wish to repeat it. Even though I walked out of the hospital 8 hours later, with a stent in my heart and I feel better than I have for a while...I still don't want it to happen, again.

So, I'm pretty set on trying to limit my sodium intake and my fat intake. I don't see my self ever picking up cigarettes, again...that was a decision I made before the heart attack. However, I will not give up my coffee.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #89
Master Chef

OMG.......did I really read that right PF????????

You had a heart attack several days ago and this is the first you've mentioned it??? Holy bat guano!!
I'm shocked and so glad you're ok. Geeeze, girl!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #90
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The salt thing is crazy, I barely salt anything as it is and use only fresh ingredients. The chili verde I'm making tonight needed about 1/2 tsp of salt for a 2 quart pot, once I had it cooked.

I told my dr. the same thing...after giving up almost everything else, I have to keep my coffee. I'll still use regular sugar, too.
Okay, here is a tip I learned at school. For anything you are simmering - sauce, soup, broth, even stew meat, etc. DON'T add ANY salt while it is cooking even if the recipe states it. What happens is the liquid evaporates and the salt content doesn't. I now add salt at the end and I use so much less and get great flavour. I never have to salt at the table (though I am known to be "salt challenged" when it comes to my cooking ).

I am having to go "cold turkey" on sugar. Not easy for a cake baker/decorator (though I have no outstanding orders at the moment on purpose). So far not doing too well when it comes to chocolate, but am really starting to be turned off by things that are "too sweet".

Anyway, keep up the good work. I am so proud of you!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote