I seriously think maybe we should start a co-op

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are all kinds of problems with sending plants, seeds, foodstuffs not shrink wrapped etc. California and several other states have veyr strick laws to prevent pest infestation whichi could wipe out their ag areas. Just enter Calif from Arizona or Nevada...looks like a border crossing. Bugs etc can "hibernate" in seeds etc. The UP of Michigan wants no untreated wood products brought in because of the bore beetle etc.

So we're talking about a few select items which can safely be packed and sent.

thanks jmed, but we're starting to pick our own zukes every day now, and will be for weeks.

robo, you can always hop on the turnpike if you want any arrugula.

come to bucky's "pick-your-own" lettuces!

AllenOK said:
That's what I was thinking.

Actually, I believe ALL poppies produce opiates of varying strength.

Really?! It shows up in tests?
That explains why the people in the bakery looked at me funny when I went to ask for 4 lbs of poppy seeds the first time.
They know now what I use that for. I took a piece of the pastry in for them to try.:ROFLMAO:

. California and several other states have veyr strick laws to prevent pest infestation whichi could wipe out their ag areas. [/quote said:
Could that be the reason why I can't get currants, gooseberries, elderberries among other things in CA?:mad:

As to the poppy thing...I believe it is the pink poppy and the red one that are the opium poppies. And yes, they all produce a certain amount that will show on a drug screen. Did you see that Mythbusters episode? Loved it.

mitmondol, you can send some of that poppyseed pastry my way. I love it!

Alix said:
Sparrowgrass
LEFSE, I love this idea and my only comment would be that we need to exchange our addresses via PM and not on the boards for obvious reasons. I think we should also use our best judgement in trusting the folks we send to. (Witness the Apron fiasco as a lesson to us all)
I can make this thread sticky for you if you like so folks can see what is being offered or make a request and then from there the PM's can fly with addresses etc, but otherwise I don't think DC will be involved in that transaction. Would you like me to do that for you?
And I am so in for the seed thing. I will even offer some Himalayan Blue Poppy seeds once my seed pods are ripe. I have a beauty. (OK, its not edible, but I'm really proud of it anyway. LOL)

Yes, a "sticky" [whatever that is] would be a good thing I think. << I am sooo not in the know regarding online verbiage:huh: . And when I have exchanged addresses, I've done it with much trepidation too. Only goes into PM's and even then, you never really do know unless you've got verification from someone who knows that person. So far, I've been lucky.
The person in DC that I'm closest to did the apron so I thought I'd do it too. Could have been fun to get it, sign it, then send it on. I don't know about the fiasco there, I never heard anything. I did decided against doing the apron due to feeling unsure if I should send out my address to everyone on the planet, as most on the planet, come into these bulletin boards. If there's a link for the apron fiasco, please send it to me. Clueless in Vancouver here.:mellow:
My day lillies, well, Mary's day lillies, are yellow, anyone care to share other colors and I'll send you yellow ones?
I love poppy seeds and living by the California poppy preserve, you'd think we could get the seeds easily. We can, but I have two words for you on that subject... PRICE+Y.........I would love your Himalayan's sound wonderful.
Anyone need or want Lavender seeds, I have 4 finds in my front yard?​
Question: the cilantro growing season is very small, can you plant them by seeds again when your plants dies after about 4 weeks, or is the season gone for the year by then?
Alix said:
Here is my blue poppy. Do you know if there is any prohibition about sending seeds in the mail? And yes, Alberta and Wisconsin have very similar growing seasons jmediger, send me your address via PM and when the seed pod is mature I'll mail you some seeds. A warning though, they are TOUGH to get started.

OH MY LORD! I will now NOT be sending a picture of my California orange poppy's. They pale in comparison. Si

sparrowgrass said:
I once lived in the land of no tomatoes--Ely Minnesota. An Indiana friend mailed me a big box of tomatoes. The postmaster asked me, please, don't do that again. (They were more than a little juicy by the time they got to me.)
Simply gorgeous Alix!

My cousins live in Newfolden Minnesota. They grow wonderful rhuebard and raspberries, which I can't grow in California but my strawberries are gorgeous and they can't grow them there at all.

Since today, I'm in Vancouver BC, I am wondering if I should attempt to go to a nursury and see what's available there for planting, seedwise, I mean.
``````````````````
sorry about this particular post. I didn't want to keep responding and have every new post be mine. We serve poppy seed rolls and yes, employees have turned up positive in drup tests. Also positive eating the Saviognione {SP?} salad dressing. No joke. My BIL many years ago, downed a little square can of nutmeg, ingested the whole tin. Major hallucinations, who knew?

Last edited:
Alix said:
As to the poppy thing...I believe it is the pink poppy and the red one that are the opium poppies. And yes, they all produce a certain amount that will show on a drug screen. Did you see that Mythbusters episode? Loved it. ]

Dang, I could get in trouble then! Love poppy seeds..

[mitmondol, you can send some of that poppyseed pastry my way. I love it!
Which one? I make different ones.;)

How stupid is this idea or has it been thought of before? It's okay, go ahead. If so, is it maybe not the safest thing to do exchanging our addresses as we never know who's on the other end? I've sent stuff out to people before, like a favorite orange jam I can get easily here in Southern California. It's not marmalade and contains no orange rind and makes the flavors of things, ie. chicken, orange roughy, dream cake, etc. have a new twist. There weren't problems sending or receiving.

Would you send the jam down here too? I'd love to try it. I think your idea is great and I'd be glad to share my address on here via PM with everyone. I love giving and receiving food items anytime. Oh, and I believe it's spelled "lavender".

Last edited:
Would you send the jam down here too? I'd love to try it. I think your idea is great and I'd be glad to share my address on here via PM with everyone. I love giving and receiving food items anytime. Oh, and I believe it's spelled "lavender".

Just saw this today. Didn't think this was active anymore.
I have it in my pantry/kitchen store, but must look at the date, when I bought it the last time, I bought 5 jars as I didn't know if I'd see it again, it'a a hit or miss thing. I did give one each to the Two Hot Tamales when I saw them live do a cooking show on Broadway, they loved it and said they couldn't wait to try it either. If the date is still active, I'll send you one if not, I'll dump mine and look at the specialty store again to see if they still have it.

Who was it that had lavender to spare? And who wanted some of my blue poppy seeds? I'd better go check that out and see who I need to mail stuff to! Send me your addresses via PM please!

i'm laden, guys. like tubes of wasabi, ginger.
also pink peppercorns, tarragon, also garlicof 2 kinds, truffleoil, pumpkin, too. salts, too- celtic grey, citrus sea salt, fleur de sal, hawiian red salt. stuffed cupboard!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom