"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Master Chef

Amy, I would also contact the manager of your building. The fact that you are supposed to buzz people in and he wasn't buzzed in by you would have sent red flags up in my book. It sounds as if he was casing the place to come back later for the goods. Tell your neighbors too so they can be aware as well and on the look out.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
Head Chef

As someone who was recently burgled and knocked seriously about, let me tell you that you should be on your guard.

Anyone can get into a building without being buzzed.

I would look at your door locks and if they seem skimpy would have some heavy duty stuff put in. May cost a few bucks but the peace of mind is worth it.

In the future, let no one into your place who does not have identification. You can always ask someone at the door for the number of the company they work for and make a call, before you let them in. It ain't foolproof but it is an approach that has some merit.

And any time someone in your home makes you feel uncomfortable and will not leave, call the police. Do it outside of their hearing.

Oh yeah, and write a letter to the CEO of the cable company. You may get no satisfaction but you are putting them on notice there is a problem. It may not do any good at all, but you never know. And those guys are aware of their liability. It may just save someone else from a terrible experience.

Understand your fears and concerns, believe me.

Sorry for your experience.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
As someone who was recently burgled and knocked seriously about, ...
You okay Aunt Dot??
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Cable

Amy, First may I say that you are right in kicking him out. Now, get a paper and pen and write 100 times - I will not let a stranger into my house again. Seriously, you need to write down what you want from the CC and then call, demand to talk with a supervisor, and let him/her know what happened and what you need done to rectify the situation. You should also look in your local phone book and find your Attorney General's phone number and call them for more imput and help. I had to do this with TWCable when we switched, as for two weeks I had no incoming calls, no phone for days on end, and come to find out I was paying for two phone company services! I am normally not a _itch ... but I so far have one month free service, they will be paying the overcharge/overlap on the phone companies and cell phone charges as I had to call them using my cell phone! DawnT
Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
Head Chef

Thank you all for your excellent advice! I called & spoke with another supervisor yesterday. She said she would follow up on what happened and get back to me today.

I did buy the Tv at circuit city, but their installation runs about $149 or $249 (yellowdog, I think it's called), vs the cc for under $20. I don't have a box - just needed the vcr hooked up. The manual shows diagrams, but not where the 4 jacks go. (Turned out, he pulled them out.) Aunt Dot, good advice! Sorry you went through that.

All things considered, i.e. high prices, no choice to pick another cc, bad phone service & subbing (contracting?) out to workers/people that are less than professional (an understatement); I am thinking about contacting our councilman. I only have (what they call) basic & extended service, not renting their equipment (box etc.) & still the bill is high - & increases regularly. Don't know if I can make a difference by myself, but maybe if there are enough complaints there will be other companies to chose from in the future. Meanwhile, I'll play around with & see if I can figure out how to program/set the vcr. (Since all the channels are moved around by the cc, I haven't been able to succesfully find a channel that works.) I have learned a lesson though - unless someone has ID I will not let them come into my home; and go with my gut instinct - i.e. if something doesn't feel right, immediately tell them to leave & call the police (if necessary). I'll check to see if there's any damage & if necessary consult w an attorney. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
*amy"
As many indicated previously, call the Cable Co and ask for service to your satisfaction.
If possible, do it in writing (e-mail) too. Remember that you can get assistance from the BBB and your Attorney General. When I have issues, I mention these names and generally get an action response right away. For the next visit, make sure you have company at home to avoid this kind of problem.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Joe Schmo off the street wants to come in and hook up my cable? And the only word of English he speaks is apparently "Cable"? Creeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

No uniform, no ID, no entry. Goes double for subcons... Make him show you his work order.
Monsieur Schmo ne parle pas anglais? Monsieur Schmo n'entre pas ici.
Mister Schmo starts sawing on my multi-hundred dollar investment without my explicit consent...
Mr. Schmo gets tossed out the door and I hope he bounces. Twice. THEN I call his supervisor.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

mr. schmo speaks french?

no wonder...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote