"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #71
Executive Chef
WooHoo, bt!!! What amazing news! What happens next? Does he stay in the hospital waiting for a heart? Will he be able to go home to wait? I'm so glad to hear he has this new chance. Keep us updated and tell the Oz we're all rootin' for him.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire
i don't know all that much, f-mom. he'll be in the hopsital a good while, i'd imagine. they had to crack him open, so that's gotta be at least a coupla weeks. he'll have to live with wires sticking out of his chest for batteries, and probably some kind of telemetry. but he plans to be home asap.

the last thing he said to me is that if he gets the transplant, he'll race me down bear mountain in killington in the winter of 2010.

i'll really feel bad beating him, ya know...

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #73
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Start selling tickets to that race BT. James and I will be there to watch.

I'm glad things are going well, and I will continue to pray for Ozzy.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #74
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Start selling tickets to that race BT. James and I will be there to watch.

I'm glad things are going well, and I will continue to pray for Ozzy.

I volunteer to take pictures!
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Glad to hear such a great update BT - truly good news!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #76
Executive Chef
oh bucky, I got chills reading your post...

maybe I'd better check the fire

Hugs to you both, I will be thinking of you all
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, the update on ozzy.

last friday the hospital determined that he was moving up the transplant list as he grew closer to death, and his tests came back showing that he's a good candidate. on friday morning, the technician reported that his left ventricle was pretty much shot and she could not even take a measurement.
on monday, the docs installed a left venticular assist device, or essentially a pump. the worry was that the right side would not start back up in conjunction.
the operation went smoothly and was a success, and his heart took off fully functioning right away. his dad says he might be able to take calls by tonight, and have visitors by next monday.

ozzy and i talked every day up until his operation, even early that morning as he was getting prepped. it was like old times, even using our stupid old phone greeting "hey mon!" (from the skit on "in living color", about the west indian guys that put each other down for only working 17 jobs that week.)

he should be able to live for a long while with this pump, and in the mean time is ready for a transplant.

so miracles do happen. thank you all for your prayers, and being part of ozzy's miracle.
Wow, bucky, your post brought tears to my eyes. What good news!!! Not only do you two have a new year ahead, you've started with a new clean page of your friendship. How lovely. Continued love, prayers and support are sent to you both and your families. Keep us posted.

Oh, start waxing your skis.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #78
Master Chef
Hi BT... reading this whole thread was heart breaking, inspiring, hopeful, and uplifting all at the same time. Sounds like Ozzy has been given a second chance. And you have been given some time to make things right (I believe you already have) between you two. I say make the time that you guys have count. I understand many of the feelings that you have and know the hurt and regret and frustration that you face in these humbling situations. I have been there more times than I feel somebody my age should have to face.... but for what it is worth, I have learned some valuable lessons from it all and it is to forgive quickly and gracefully, always to remember to tell someone that you care and what they mean to you, and to unload those regrets as soon as you can.

My heart is with you BT... I'm sorry that it took me so long to express this to you.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #79
Master Chef
I'm so happy to hear that you and ozzy had been given this gift of time to make amends and put the past behind you. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers and hope and pray he beats your arse in 2010 .
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #80
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thanks for the update Bucky, God has Blessed your best friend and friendship again, this touches all our hearts. May many Blessing follow.

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote