Just saying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Stumbled on some blog today actually was referred to it. Oh my gosh, why does everybody who knows how to turn the stove on think that their recipes are worth being put on internet and not simply for the safe keeping but under pretense (or is it pretend) of being an authority in cooking and telling people what and how to do? I am just about to puke from reading some of the recipes. Probably should have posted this in the venting thread, but I am more amazed than upset. :ohmy:

What I hate is when they post a full video plus 20 pages describing the method in excruciating step-by-step detail including a picture illustrating each step. I can't even use those sites because I don't have the patience to read such detail, especially describing things I already know how to do. The kind of recipes I'm complaining about look like they were written for an audience of somebody whose total cooking experience is they once boiled a pot of water.

I prefer recipes like you'd find in a popular cookbook, perhaps Joy of Cooking, in sufficient detail that a cook with intermediate experience can cook it but not so much detail that the recipe becomes overly long.

Beginners should start with simple recipes. By the time they progress to intermediate recipes they'll already have the skills and won't need every little thing spelled out for them.

Honestly, I can deal with long instruction for a good recipe, but I cannot stand instruction that is going to create a horrible end result. I ran across this recipe for stand up rib eye roast that was cooked for 5 or 6 hours, with bunch of marinades and million herbs and had a picture of something I would not feed to my dog.

Back
Top Bottom