Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished "Hiss and Hers" by M.C.Beaton, and almost am done with "Never say Pie" by Carol Culver. Next in the chute are "Delusion in Death" bye J.D. Robb, "Invisible Murder" by Lene Kaqaberbol & Agnet Friis (the latest in authors in the Scandinavian translation murder mysteries) and "The 100-year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson, and Cop to Corpse by Peter Lovesey. My "modus operendus" is to start with the lightest book and work up to the darker/heavier ones. Then when I next hit the library, I'm ready for light again. Since Dad and Godmother died over holidays, I simply don't do much serious anyway for the time being. Pure escape is the name of the game! Anyway the Pie and Hiss books were what you'd expect, the "cozy" mysteries; and I always enjoy the food-oriented ones.

I'm reading The Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr with Francesca Cesati. I friend of mine read it seven years ago and hasn't smoked since. It's looking good.

Was very lucky this morning to find two of Veronica Black mysteries at the used book store. A Vow Of Obedience and A Vow Of Penance, both of them are a Sister Joan mystery. They take place in and around the Cornwall Convent in England.

Oh boy! Quite a few unread authors to try out. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chime in on this always-interesting thread.

I'm just beginning Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures - she wrote Girl With a Pearl Earring. Good so far.

Finished an M.C. Beaton Edwardian novel written under her real name, Marion Chesney. Already took it back and don't remember the name well enough to try it here.

Also read a collection of William Inge plays: Come Back, Little Sheba (the movie version starred Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth); The Dark at the Top of the Stairs; Picnic (Paul Newman was in the original Broadway cast those many moons ago); and Bus Stop (the movie version starred Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray). Also, The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds - don't remember the playwright's name, it's gone already, too. On tap is Carson McCuller's Member of the Wedding; and Is He Dead? by Mark Twain. I didn't know he wrote plays.

And one more novel, Swimming, by Joanna Hershon.

Interesting how you prioritize them, Claire. I usually have several going at once and the one I pick up for bedtime reading will depend on what kind of day it's been. The Beaton/Chesneys smooth out the bumps of a hard day. I really love the self-checkouts now in use at the library -- no need to be embarrassed if I decide to check out Fifty Shades. :LOL:

I used to read a lot but stopped for a while. I'm always busy.
We just joined the Library and I've started reading Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. Not bad so far. I've read lots of her other books and loved them all, hopefully this one just as good!

I just received my Amazon order for the orphan train trilogy by Noonan (seems there are two or three trilogies; I wanted the one that features Galena). This is for my twice weekly reading to a blind friend. I'm hoping it is good, she usually isn't one who's big on fiction. I just finished reading "Cat Chat" to her and left it for her daughter to read when she visits from France this summer. For myself I'm on "Cop to Corpse".

I am reading a book a friend loaned us, "Islam and the Jews," by Mark A. Gabriel.

Isn't there a signature somewhere here on DC that's something like, how little we know. Isn't that the truth? Educating ourselves, reading broadly can only do us good.

I've got 2 going at the time. I'm reading Bonhoffer by Eric Metaxas. It's interesting reading about his family history and upbringing. It's just now getting to his interest in theology. I'm also reading The Two Crosses by Ernie Lindsey about two men empowered with healing people.

I'm on chapter 8 of Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. Loving it! It such a light and funny read.

I read an interview with her once. The interviewer commented that all of her characters were believable except the grandmother. Evanovich replied that all the characters were products of her imagiination .. except the grandmother, who is actually her aunt, a real person.

I read an interview with her once. The interviewer commented that all of her characters were believable except the grandmother. Evanovich replied that all the characters were products of her imagiination .. except the grandmother, who is actually her aunt, a real person.

I didn't know that. The grandmother in the Stephanie Plum series was my favourite character! I could just imagine a crazy old lady with flame red hair that wants to shoot everyone :LOL:

' No great Mischief ' by Alistair MacLeod. A wonderful story of a Scottish family of immigrants to Cape Breton from 1779 until the present.

Although it's impossible to ever know the number, no doubt many a reader will read your post, say "Oooo. That sounds good," and grab up a pencil to add this selection to their list of future reads, as I will.

Back
Top Bottom