"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #1671
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....
I nominate Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx. The Shipping News was the first of hers I read, leading me to this engrossing book.

If you've already been there, done that, have you tried A. S. Byatt? She wrote Possession, which as in so many cases was a much better book than film.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #1672
Executive Chef

oKaY, i have my book fix for now, thank you dawg and tinlizzie. so, i've got e. peters' the golden one, a. proulx's accordion crimes (wow), and george eliot's mill on the floss--one of hers i missed in am. lit, and i've still got salt going....feeling good! :)

Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #1673
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....
I recomend any book by the author Richard Paul Evans. Whenever I read one of his book I cannot put it down until it's done. Another book I throughly enjoyed is 90 minutes in heaven by don piper.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #1674
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I just started Elizabeth Peters' "Crocodile on the Sandbank", I am liking her style so far. She has a series, all available on Kindle. About a very independent feminist, circa 1890, who travels. Sorta Miss Marple-like.

Back to work, not much time to read now.
I'm currently on her Falcon at the Portal. There are 19 books in the series. I am on #11 and have the other 8 waiting. Lovely series. Highly recommend it.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #1675
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur

I'm currently on her Falcon at the Portal. There are 19 books in the series. I am on #11 and have the other 8 waiting. Lovely series. Highly recommend it.
Good to know, Jabbur. I have several of her books on Kindle that, as I recall, I got either free or really cheap.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #1676
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post

do you think there is a real advantage to reading the amelia series in order? right now, i'm going for the cheap reads first....
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #1677
Master Chef

Quote:
do you think there is a real advantage to reading the amelia series in order? right now, i'm going for the cheap reads first....
Yes I think so. The books go forward in time so as you read through the series, technology changes, children grow up and characters outside the family recur and have life changes that sometimes affects the story line. I started with The Last Camel Died at Noon though. It made references to things that had happened in earlier books. While it didn't detract from the story, it made me curious so had to go back and read the others from the beginning. The Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first one and I would expect the older ones to be cheaper anyway.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #1678
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Yes I think so. The books go forward in time so as you read through the series, technology changes, children grow up and characters outside the family recur and have life changes that sometimes affects the story line. I started with The Last Camel Died at Noon though. It made references to things that had happened in earlier books. While it didn't detract from the story, it made me curious so had to go back and read the others from the beginning. The Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first one and I would expect the older ones to be cheaper anyway.
i agree with every word you just said. were you a debating team champion ever?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #1679
Master Chef

Quote:
i agree with every word you just said. were you a debating team champion ever?
Nope. Just stating my opinion!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #1680
Executive Chef

devil's knot, a book by mara leveritt was added to my current book stack today. it is a book written about the case of the wm3, a detailing of this "botched" murder case handling, and its modern day witch trial atmosphere. celebrities including johnny depp, eddie vedder and one of the dixie chicks were instrumental in gaining freedom for the three young men, who have spent the last 14 years in prison, convicted of the triple murder that took place in 1993. the crime was a grisly, heinous one, in which three eight year old boys were beaten, hogtied, and dumped in a ditch. one of the boys was castrated. the west memphis three were convicted on circumstantial evidence only, with apparently a great deal of weight placed on satanic references and rhetoric. they were freed from prison today amidst much controversy, fanfare and speculation. one wonders who it was that killed those young boys? maybe now with the wm3 freed we'll get to find out....