"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #2171
Executive Chef

a fist in the hornet's nest, on the ground in baghdad before, during and after the war by richard engel. fascinating read--i'm a big fan of richard engel through his news reports as a foreign war correspondent in the middle east.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #2172
Executive Chef

I've just started reading Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa. This is my second time reading it, and it was the very first L'Amour novel I had read--probably 20 years ago--and I went on to read every novel he had written. Haunted Mesa isn't typical of his usual westerns because it is set in modern times, a mystery novel set in the Four Corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO). No, I don't intend to reread all the rest of them too, although perhaps I may reread one or two of them some time in the future.

He wrote a lot of books! One website says 126 of them!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #2173
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've just started reading Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa. This is my second time reading it, and it was the very first L'Amour novel I had read--probably 20 years ago--and I went on to read every novel he had written. Haunted Mesa isn't typical of his usual westerns because it is set in modern times, a mystery novel set in the Four Corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO). No, I don't intend to reread all the rest of them too, although perhaps I may reread one or two of them some time in the future.

He wrote a lot of books! One website says 126 of them!
How Funny. Haunted Mesa was the first L'Amour novel I read as well, and I loved it, then someone told me it wasn't like any of his other novels, and it wasn't.

I rarely (and then usually by accident) re-read at all. Too many books, so little time!

But one time we were traveling through the Four Corners area and my husband couldn't resist getting our doggie out of the car, and placing her four paws in four states. How corny!

I do have a L'Amour book upstairs somewhere that I haven't read. I'm not sure if it is even fiction.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #2174
Executive Chef

When I was in the area of the setting of the book I actually tried to drive to Haunted Mesa which IIRC I pretty much figured it was Nokai Dome, or maybe it was the mesa just across the river from Nokai Dome... Anyway I got to where I was within 5-6 miles of "Haunted Mesa" at the turnoff I figured was the correct one, and a few dozen yards in somebody had dug a big ditch right across the road, obviously intended to prevent anybody using the road, more than enough to stop my modest 4x4. I decided probably others had driven to or tried to drive to "Haunted Mesa" and the people who live in the area (mostly Navajos) didn't like that, so they fixed the road to keep people out. It was good enough for me and was an interesting trip in spite of not being able to reach the destination. That's pretty country.

The funny thing about Four Corners Monument, they mistakenly put it in the wrong spot. The story is a bit complicated and I'm not going to go into it here, but anybody who doubts me can look at their GPS. The latitude and longitude readout clearly shows that you're several miles away from where the four states intersect. IIRC the correct intersection is a few miles east and about a mile north of the monument.

I've traveled and camped a lot in the four corners states, particularly northern AZ and most of UT. That's really pretty country!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #2175
Master Chef

I am reading Jewish Cooking in America by Joan Nathan. It covers the early settlers up through the second world war and into the 1990's! Very interesting.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #2176
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
I am reading Jewish Cooking in America by Joan Nathan. It covers the early settlers up through the second world war and into the 1990's! Very interesting.
If you like culinary Jewish history I have a cookbook by Claudia Rodan called the book of Jewish food - it has several hundred pages of history and makes yummy things......
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #2177
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
If you like culinary Jewish history I have a cookbook by Claudia Rodan called the book of Jewish food - it has several hundred pages of history and makes yummy things......

I like all culinary history!

I will check it out thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #2178
Master Chef

I'm reading Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #2179
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Finally finished My Song, A memoir. life story of Harry Belafonte, was a really great, and interesting read.

Back to re-reading some Bill Bryson. Just finished(Again) A Walk In The Woods, and wrapping up Sun Burnt Country.

Next on the agenda is Living Buddha, Living Christ. Picked it up in the book swap area of a little Latino eatery I try to go to once a week or so, heard good things about it, and it's something new.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #2180
Head Chef

Although the library only lists one other of her books, I'm looking forward to Stef Penney again. Just finished The Tenderness of Wolves, set in 1867 on the northern shore of Georgian Bay. Lots of characters, lots of plots, lots of cruel weather. A reviewer at my library called it "a rattling good yarn." Hudson Bay Company, fur trappers, Norwegian settlers, perhaps the first written Indian language; had less talk of wolves than I expected, but they were central to a story line -- a couple of young girls out to gather berries disappeared completely; wolves were blamed.