"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #2641
Assistant Cook

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one reading 3 or 4 books at once.
Right now it's the third 'Hunger Games', 'Pride and Prejudice' on my Kobo because I'm seeing the play soon, and also a very interesting book called 'A Train in Winter - An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship and Survival in World War Two'. Extremely interesting - just wish I had scads more time to keep up! Got some more ideas from you all now! Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #2642
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Thanks for the input Kylie. I've been curious about it but didn't want to spend the money! If it ever comes up as a freebie for the kindle, MAYBE then I'll tackle it.

I just finished Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Quite interesting. I had read Good Omens that he wrote with Terry Pratchett and it is in a similar vein to that so I enjoyed it.

Currently reading "The Last Justice" by Anthony Franze (a freebie from Amazon) about an attack on the Supreme Court with 6 of 9 Justices killed. Just getting started but can see many threads that will have to come together in the end.

I am so glad you liked "American Gods", it's a favorite of mine and the same thread runs through his book "Anansi Boys" loved that one, too!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #2643
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
One more thing -- I enjoyed reading Salt and would like a recommendation for something similar. Suggestions, anyone?
Have you tried, Cod, by Kurlansky? It's good, too!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #2644
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Have you tried, Cod, by Kurlansky? It's good, too!
No, I haven't, but I will. Funny, a friend just recommended Four Fish: the future of the last wild food by Paul Greenberg. TY, PF.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #2645
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
No, I haven't, but I will. Funny, a friend just recommended Four Fish: the future of the last wild food by Paul Greenberg. TY, PF.
Salt was my first Kurlansky, now I will read anything by him.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #2646
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Thanks for the input Kylie. I've been curious about it but didn't want to spend the money! If it ever comes up as a freebie for the kindle, MAYBE then I'll tackle it.
Your very welcome Jab

I thought it was going to flow like her HP books did, but it felt all jerky, going from one character/group of characters to another, it just didnt feel right to me and I had a really hard time trying to enjoy it

Yes, a freebie on the Kindle may be a good idea to try it out
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #2647
Head Chef

I heard a radio interview today with Emma Thompson, who has written a new Peter Rabbit book, following up in Beatrix Potter's style. She read portions of it aloud, and actually I would like for her to read it to me tonight for a bedtime story. So sweet! I'd probably sleep better than with the murder mysteries I usually read before I hit the hay.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2648
Assistant Cook

"The Big Bang -A history of explosives" by G.Brown. A fascinating book that traces how explosives have been of great benefit to mankind as well as being used for warfare. From Greek fire to nuclear fusion.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #2649
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocaena View Post
"The Big Bang -A history of explosives" by G.Brown. A fascinating book that traces how explosives have been of great benefit to mankind as well as being used for warfare. From Greek fire to nuclear fusion.
This is a must buy for my husband! Thanks for the hint.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #2650
Master Chef

Quote:
Coincidentally, I'm about 2/3 through Charles Todd's A Long Shadow. It's an Inspector Rutledge, and I like it a lot. So An Unmarked Grave goes onto my list, too. Thanks, Sharon & Claire. Oh, and I'll see if my library has the Ruth Reichl. And Maisie Dobbs.
I didn't realize that I have, in fact, read other books by "Todd", just the Rutledge ones, not the other series.