"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #3911
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am reading Tolkien's Ring by David Day, it's non-fiction on how J.R.R. Tolkien created his mythology and the sources he used to create the world of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I love mythology!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #3912
Head Chef

Just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

It was a good read. Not as dark as her other books, but still plenty dark as is her wont. Made my way through it in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending was a bit predictable, but that's OK. It's not like every book's ending can be a surprise. It's her descriptive prose that keeps me enthralled.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #3913
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The Diabetes Code, by Dr. Jason Fung. Subtitle: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally.

It works, I am now off all my diabetes medications and have been able to cut my blood pressure meds in half.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #3914
Cook

I recently finished the Rabbit in Red trilogy by Joe Chianakas. It's a thriller based on the horror genre; not really horror in and of itself, in my opinion. It's somewhat Stephen King-like, though for a younger audience. They were easy, entertaining reads.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #3915
Chef Extraordinaire

Last weekend I finished reading "The Lifeboat" by Charlotte Rogan for my book club meeting tonight. It's going to be a great discussion - this book has a lot of interesting themes: class, power, manipulation, survival and more. It's about survivors of a Titanic-like shipwreck and how they endure on an overcrowded lifeboat in the North Atlantic for three weeks. And then some are prosecuted. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 06-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #3916
Head Chef

Getting settled has taken much of my time but, I have managed to read a few books in the last couple of weeks.. I seem to read, mainly, before sleeping these days..

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Varina by Charles Frazier
Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

Ross
Old 06-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #3917
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
My pool book right now is A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #3918
Executive Chef

I'm currently sorting through the books I haven't unpacked since I moved house. In theory I'm trying sort them for the charity shop but I end up reading them. I'm currently re-reading my collection of Nevil Shute novels. Just finished "Pastoral" and about to start on "A Town Like Alice" (the eponymous "Alice" is Alice Springs, a town in Australia, not a female character!) I read them first when I was in my teens and loved then all and have re-read them a few times. I don't think old Nevil will be going to the charity shop any time soon.

(Incidentally, don't let the 1956 film of "A Town Like Alice", with Peter Finch and Virginia McKenna, put you off the book - it's only half of the story)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #3919
Head Chef

I've started re-reading Charlaine Harris's "Sookie Sackhouse" series - the one that the HBO series True Blood was taken from. I do about a chapter a night before bed. When I have free time during the day, I'm working on Christmas presents.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #3920
Chef Extraordinaire

My last three reads have been two food books and a mystery. I drooled over "Everyday cooking with Jacques Pépin" and Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa back to basics". They are both older books, from early in their careers, but still offered good information.

The mystery was a cozy mystery (no surprise) from one of my favorite authors, Laura Childs, "Plum Tea Crazy". It's the most recent offering in her "Tea Shop Mysteries" series. Set in Charleston SC, it's so authentic to the locale that I relive our visits to Charleston every time I read her books. No real tea shop in the heart of Charleston though, alas.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote