Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About finishing Michael Farquhar's bestseller "Royal Scandals----The Shocking Ture Stories of History's Wickedest, Weirdest Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors" it's an easy read as well as informative and amusing

What book are you reading ?

I went to the library yesterday and 7 books. I like to read before going to bed . Current book I'm reading is Double Shot by Diane Mott Davdison.

Unfortunately all reading material lately has been work related so nothing interesting. (unless you are into Network/computer security)

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series bound in leather, just working my way thru each book. It is amazing how much of them I have forgotten over the years since I last read them.

"The trick to flying is to miss the ground!" Gotta love that.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series bound in leather, just working my way thru each book. It is amazing how much of them I have forgotten over the years since I last read them.

"The trick to flying is to miss the ground!" Gotta love that.
Those are some of my favorite books. So funny.

While I normally read books written for adults, I do like to read books written for young adults now and then. I fell in love with Margaret Peterson Haddix's writing when I read her first novel, Running Out of Time, to my class. Later I read Among the Hidden (1st in the "Shadow Children" series) to my class and the second in the series, Among the Imposters, myself. I have been wanting to see how the series progressed, so I bought all seven of them a couple weeks ago. I just reread Running Out of Time and the first two of the series and am now on the third, Among the Betrayed. I would recommend them to anyone. She does not write down to children. They are a quick read but hold an adult's attention. The premise behind the "Shadow Children" series is that there has been a huge worldwide famine, and the government (no country is ever named--it is sometime in the near future, and the government is totalitarian) has passed a law that no family may have more than two children. Shadow children are illegal third (or even fourth, etc.) children who have to hide from the government, but shortly after the first story begins, some of them, who secretly communicate by computer, start planning to change the laws.

Sheesh! I didn't mean to write a book about it, but I just wanted to say that if you like mild suspense (she tackles heavy subjects, but in a way that is still appropriate for young teens) without bad language, these books might be just the ticket for you. :cool:

:)Barbara

Thanks for your comments, Barbara. I, too, like to read juvenile literature. I think I might have to read the books you describe.

If you want a fun juvenile read, try The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Delightful story of an orphan boy who lives in a Paris train station, keeps all the clocks at the right time and builds an automaton.

Great read and the black-and-white illustrations are fabulous.

I am reading World Without End by Ken Follett, I'm about 550 pages in. It is the follow up to his Pillars of the Earth.
I have a huge stack of reading material to get through.

Thanks for your comments, Barbara. I, too, like to read juvenile literature.

Me three :) Although I read a lot of most things!

At the moment, I'm reading 'Tripwire' by Lee Child. Just discovered him - books like his aren't usually my thing, but I picked one of his up one day, and loved it. Can't afford to buy them - am reading them chapter at a time in the bookstore!

Honestly I was trying to read a pattern for a snowflake I'm crocheting but either the person that wrote is was on crack or I need to go to bed.
It's not making sense and I want to throw my stuff at something!
So, like middie, I thought I'd read here instead.
:)

Honestly I was trying to read a pattern for a snowflake I'm crocheting but either the person that wrote is was on crack or I need to go to bed.
It's not making sense and I want to throw my stuff at something!
So, like middie, I thought I'd read here instead.
:)

I've been crocheting for longer than you've probably been alive, suzi, and I still have discovered patterns that are flawed. Maybe I can help decipher your pattern. Let me know if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom