"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #81
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buonasera Ladies,

Regardless of climate, I am predominately a trouserīs and suit woman professionally and for casual, jeans ...

For theatre, or an upscale restaurant or family holiday or birthday, I may put on a skim the knee skirt or select a skim the knee dress, always with heels ...

Look forward to your feedback.

Ciao, Have nice Tuesday,
Margi.
When it come to fashion & style, I never limit myself to one or the other, or always go with the new trends. The workplace is another matter. Glad I don't work on Wall st. anymore & have to conform to suits & boring conservative wardrobe. My career/job did not have any restrictions - anything short of a bathing suit is acceptable. It also involved getting "dressed" to the 9's when appropriate - premieres etc.

I have several closets packed w/ clothes, shoes, handbags. I do prefer being comfortable, but more importantly wearing what fits correctly & brings out the best/enhances one's beauty & assets.

I poured over WWD, took patternmaking & draping instruction, made my own clothes, took a class at FIT in NYC, & sold some of my "creations." Thought of opening my own boutique or becoming a modern-day Edith Head.

I could go on & on, but I think women can follow trends, but wear what is most appropriate fit-wise, & not resort to inappropriate trends like low rise jeans, etc if one doesn't have the body type.

Leggings, jeggings, bootcut are great, but make sure they fit.

Hair & makeup are important. When you feel good, you look good. I have several wigs where I can change my "look" not have to fuss, & have fun.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Jeans...always. Except at work, no denim is allowed, even if we go in for classes, etc. We have to wear scrubs or dress pants. Must dress professionally.

Actually, we are allowed Jeans only certain days and certain times of the year for a donation of $5 to the Relay for Life (Cancer research) or the Residents Council. Bt, nursing in jeans is tough...too much bending and moving to be comfortable.
Working in the ER for long hours, my son seems to be in scrubs more than his own clothing. He now finds that they are more comfortable than his own clothing.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #83
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Working in the ER for long hours, my son seems to be in scrubs more than his own clothing. He now finds that they are more comfortable than his own clothing.
I never grew out of my T-shirt phase...still collecting the ones with graphics of all kinds. I do wear more black yoga pants than jeans these days. Just for the comfort. Love my Batman shirts...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Addie, Cerise & Fiona,

Thanks for all your anecdotes and feedback.

Ciao,
Have lovely summer,
Margi.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Chopper, Claire, Cheryl, Laurie,

Thanks ladies for all your contributions.

Have a great summer,
Ciao. Margaux.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #86
Executive Chef

Tax Lady, Skittles, Roadfix & Csw,

Wanted to say thank you for your contributions on my thread and your always interesting replies, anecdotes and views.

Ladies, have a great summer,
Ciao, Margaux.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #87
Master Chef

I remember my mother struggling into the "Living Rubber Girdle". Panty hose had yet to be invented, and she wanted to be as slim as possible.
We've come a looooooooong way baby!
Here's more info....
History of Playtex

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't work in the health care profession, but I LOVE scrubs...I have two drawers of scrubs...I have several sets that are light-weight, soft cotten. They are so comfortable. Had I known how comfortable scrubs were, I might have gone to nursing school...
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I remember my mother struggling into the "Living Rubber Girdle". Panty hose had yet to be invented, and she wanted to be as slim as possible.
We've come a looooooooong way baby!
Here's more info....
History of Playtex
Oh dear me. I remember wearing bras like that, with no stretch straps.

I also remember occasionally wearing a panty girdle. I'm not sure why, probably because it had garters, so I had one less piece of underwear to wear.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't work in the health care profession, but I LOVE scrubs...I have two drawers of scrubs...I have several sets that are light-weight, soft cotten. They are so comfortable. Had I known how comfortable scrubs were, I might have gone to nursing school...
I now have enough scrubs that I could go a month without washing any and not repeat a pattern.