Ladies Only: Are You A Trouser or Dress Woman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ladies, the other day I was in a grocery store. There were this young girl there, oh about my age, 50 something :LOL:, she was not dressed as a professional, but did wear skirt and the casual top and hose or stockings, whatever it was, and she looked so womanly I had to complement her for simply look like a woman. It is so rare these days and so pleasant to see somebody dressed like that.;) Good luck girls.

I couldn't agree more with your professional views Margi. I recently came off jury duty, and I can assure you that the polished female attorneys in their classic dark business suits wore hose, and yes, I noticed. There were a couple of them who didn't and they looked ridiculous in my opinion. A sundress with bare legs and sandals looks fine, tan or no tan, but not on every occasion or with every skirt/dress. I hate hose, that's why I wear pants. Just sayin...:rolleyes:
Kayelle, I myself feel that we all need to use common sence in how we dress and what we ware, I'd never ware heels with out leg coverings even with pants. That said be picky how you look dress your age and always have clean combed hair, and light makeup if at all possible. Make people take notice of that nice looking lady and how lovely she looks. Pale legs, so what, scar tissue, ok you are still beautiful so hold your heads up and feel proud of how you look and dress. . I'd be proud to be seen with all of you you are special.
kades

During my working days, we wore dresses or suits and heels with hose. Now that I am a grandmother and retired I find myself sticking to most of the ways I had grown used to = panty hose with dresses, knee highs with pants and wedge heels or others no more than 2 inches. Living in a very mild - sometimes hot climate, I wear almost to the knee shorts most of the time with capri pants when I go out. I love dresses too and wear them to church or special occasions. I enjoy looking ladylike even if many others don't consider that important, especially in the country.
I've enjoyed reading this thread and had looked at it a couple of times before I decided to post.
Thanks for starting the subject.

CWS4322 said:
DH does the same thing--all his "uniform" shirts (things he wears when he has to meet a client, go to the office to work when he's on a contract) are all sort of olive green. And he wears black jeans (keeps a couple of pairs that can't be worn around the farm or in the shop). It makes life easier. Color-coding the closet is easy--as is doing laundry--I often have one load of purple only. The bath towels, shower curtain, liner are also either purple or lavender. Again, easy. The DH buys all the same kind of socks--that way, they don't have to be mated and he always has matching socks. Most of my jewelry are either diamonds or amethysts, so I'm good to go on the jewelry front as well.

Oh, I am right there with you on the socks. Only one type of sock for my Hubby too. So much easier to do laundry. All the white ones are the same and all the black ones are the same. That is all he needs!

CharlieD said:
Ladies, the other day I was in a grocery store. There were this young girl there, oh about my age, 50 something :LOL:, she was not dressed as a professional, but did wear skirt and the casual top and hose or stockings, whatever it was, and she looked so womanly I had to complement her for simply look like a woman. It is so rare these days and so pleasant to see somebody dressed like that.;) Good luck girls.

Good for you for paying her a complement. Its nice to feel appreciated for looking like a lady! I feel naked if I wear a nice dress without pantyhose. I do wear sundresses or skorts without stockings. That way I can wear my flip flops!

LOL! I bought a sundress today, goes all the way to the floor and beyond by a couple of inches. I told Shrek I was going to wear it as a "nightgown" and he was totally stunned that I took the trash out while wearing it, "but, it's your nightgown!" Well, the neighbors don't know that, they think it's a sundress.

PrincessFiona60 said:
LOL! I bought a sundress today, goes all the way to the floor and beyond by a couple of inches. I told Shrek I was going to wear it as a "nightgown" and he was totally stunned that I took the trash out while wearing it, "but, it's your nightgown!" Well, the neighbors don't know that, they think it's a sundress.

LOL!!!!

I have very pale skin, I don't care that I have white legs. Comfort is the main concern for me. I also have a "uniform" for when I have to leave the house. I wear black/blue (sometimes purple) on the bottom, purple on the top--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I have two cubbies in that closet of purple tops--two stacks deep in each cubby. Life's too short to complicate it with too many choices about what to wear. It makes it easy to pack when I have to travel, easy to dress in the morning, and easy to shop. Once in awhile, I wear something else, but am slowly culling the wardrobe to be that simple.

Growing up with red hair, limited the colors I could wear. Now that I am all grey, I can wear any color as long as it is bright and happy. :)

I really prefer dresses and/or skirts, but find myself wearing pants/shorts more often .... a lot more often. Winter is self-explanatory. I have some great longer skirts and a warm dress that look great with my riding-style boots and a great long hooded dress coat ... but in the winter here very seldom does anyone wear anything but jeans and sweaters, so they tend to get relegated to funerals (!). In the summer it's more 50/50. I have a few LL Bean skirts that are a few inches above the knee that I love (sort of pants-tailored) and a few crinkle print loose dresses I wear a lot, but shorts sort of win the day more often. Oh, a few pair of gauze, loose-legged long pants I wear with floaty tunics. I swear, I think I'm keeping half the populations of India, Pakistan, and Indonesia in business.

Most of my sundresses are long...doesn't stop me from hitching them up when it is really hot outside...just like I did as a child. I just have to remember not to hitch them too high if I'm not wearing underwear...oops, TMI. You reach a certain age, and you behave as you will!

Growing up with red hair, limited the colors I could wear. Now that I am all grey, I can wear any color as long as it is bright and happy. :)
I was a red-blond as a child, now I am a blond in the summer because my hair bleaches out, in the winter (about March) it goes back to red-blondish. I just treat myself to a "foil" treatment in February for my b'day to get the roots to match the bleached ends. Works for me. And, my hairdresser is very good at making it look natural. I went to another hairdresser in the summer (the first time after my gal did the foil thing) and that hairdresser raved about how my hair bleached out so nicely!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:Yeah--with Denice's help:LOL:. And time spent out in the boat on Lake of the Woods.

Most of my sundresses are long...doesn't stop me from hitching them up when it is really hot outside...just like I did as a child. I just have to remember not to hitch them too high if I'm not wearing underwear...oops, TMI. You reach a certain age, and you behave as you will!
How do you hitch up a sundress? I know how to roll the waist on a skirt.

I have a gauzy, floaty, floor length, elastic-waist, cotton skirt that I have been known to wear as a strapless dress - the waist pulled up over my boobs, but only at home.

Your post reminded me of a dress I bought earlier in the spring time. I still haven't worn it. It looks to me like a vintage type dress but dh said it looks like something I would be buried in....our grandson said it looks like a night gown. I'm going to have to wear it before long as it is definitely a summery dress.

ROFL!!! Reminds me of someone I know...:rolleyes:

Your post reminded me of a dress I bought earlier in the spring time. I still haven't worn it. It looks to me like a vintage type dress but dh said it looks like something I would be buried in....our grandson said it looks like a night gown. I'm going to have to wear it before long as it is definitely a summery dress.

What matters is if you like it, don't save it, wear it!

A neighbor once told Hubby that women with big legs shouldn't wear shorts or dresses because it doesn't look good. Needless to say I wore shorts and dresses all the time that summer, big legs and all! Hubby loved it!!!

A neighbor once told Hubby that women with big legs shouldn't wear shorts or dresses because it doesn't look good. Needless to say I wore shorts and dresses all the time that summer, big legs and all! Hubby loved it!!!

Hubby's comeback line could have been, "Not all women dress to please you. They dress for their own man and comfort." :huh:

I think Hubby's comeback was something similar to that. I did make sure to parade around a bit that summer!

Back
Top Bottom