"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Lawrence Welk, only me?

Am I the only person who loves this guy?

My friends all think I'm nuts!

I plan my Saturday meals around this Old Show.. I was a little too young, but my family watched all this!

Whatever happened to Geritol?

Eric, Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Myron Florin was ok too. Wasn't crazy about him as a kid, but certainly miss him now. Think Geritol got replaced by Jaegermeister.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Am I the only person who loves this guy?...

Yes. You're probably the only one left.

Didn't he die about a hundred years ago?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Head Chef
I saw Myron F play the accordian about 8 or so years ago. Couldn't believe he could still lift it, accordians are heavy! He put on a free concert at the International Music Camp up at the Peace Gardens (ND/Manitoba border), well, free in that all the proceeds went to the camp for scholarships. He didn't accept a fee.
We watched LW, and when visiting G'ma, sometimes twice a day!!!!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Master Chef
My parents watched him all the time and with only one TV in the house was forced to watch myself. That is one of a few shows I can't stand to watch. Others include...
Oh never mind, you all haven't got that kind of time.
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Master Chef
I grew up watching this show and don't blame you for loving it. Who were the sisters who sang? Lennon sisters? Something like that. And the dancing. My father plays the accordion so you know he was a fan. Whatever happened to variety shows, anyway? I'm 54 and these sounds bring me happy childhood memories.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef
I grew up watching Lawrence Welk too.....and I must have enjoyed it, later my older sister told me she was so happy when she learned that the first album i bought with my own money was Jefferson Airplane, she was afraid I was going to be stuck on Lawrence Welk!

in reflection, I do think it was neat the opportunity he afforded.....um.....artists....didn't he have a fellow who spun plates on top of poles??

And I still have a soft spot for the song "Scarlet Ribbons"...
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Head Chef
That was Ed Sullivan, Beth, not LW.

I didn't like Ed or LW--they were geared to grandmas. Now that I am going to be a grandma, maybe I should give them another try. :)
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Executive Chef
My grandfather was the first person I knew who watched Lawrence Welk. He always said the champagne lady then was blowing him a kiss at the end. We still watch it on PBS and enjoy the different stages of the show. Last week was big bands and as much as I love big bands I hadn't heard of most of the ones he mentioned. I suppose the day of good variety shows is past. I saw a program with Carol Burnett talking about how many variety shows were around when she was doing hers. With such awful shows on now we find ourselves not watching much except news. Dh does watch the RFD programs since he is rebuilding 3 tractors. I don't know why, he can't use but one at the time...a good project for a retiree.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote