"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

I was supposed to go on New Year's Eve but had a change of plans. My friend and I are planning to go when she gets back from holidays. I have seen the stage version twice, the dramatic movie twice and several specials featuring world-wide casts. I love the story and many of the actors so am looking forward to it.

Charlie, that review cracks me up!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Keep in mind for those who haven't seen it yet. That this is a musical and the whole story is told in music. No dialogue. I love the music and have heard not so good reviews of Russell's singing. Some of the high notes are out of his range and he strains to sing "Bring Him Home." And that is the hit song of the whole production. That is the song you wait to hear.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

It is a musical. It is a film not a stage play. The characters do sing the dialogue. I don't recall hearing/ seeing so much musical dialogue in the stage plays. Somehow, we the audience get wrapped up in this, and it therefore seems acceptable. It would be funny if we sang our parts when we talk with each other. It's ok the actors aren't all professional singers and voices crack etc. Voice projection/ diction isn't as necessary within the film unlike where it must reach each audience member succinctly in a play. Surround sound does this instead. It is not a good idea to compare this film with a play but rather, look at it on its own merits.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

when I said "stage", I was totally referring to the stage musical as opposed to the movie musical. There was a dramatic movie awhile back with Liam Neeson as well. But the original is a "modern opera" much in the style of Phantom, Cats and Jesus Christ Superstar even though all four are totally different.

I used to go to all the theatre productions in Vancouver both musical and not. I saw the original Canadian production of Phantom in Toronto while on a business trip there - I got the literal last seat in the house right under the chandelier falling twelfth row centre orchestra on the aisle - awesome! But it is so hard to get into town, then through the crowds and the tickets are so expensive. I still follow it all and watch the Tony's every year.

I really can't wait to see Les Mis at the movie theatre - it is my favourite of all the musicals I think. I listen to the Broadway sound track in my car often.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear you LP. I love the theater. Even when it is turned into a film. I have seen Mama Mia on stage twice, the movie three times and have the DVD. Also the same with Joseph's Techicolor Coat with Donny Osmond. I first saw that play at a local theater group playhouse. Then it came to Boston, and couldn't wait to see it with DO. And have the DVD also. And now Les Miserables'. My biggest problem though is choosing between classical ballet and the theater as my favorite venue.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hear you LP. I love the theater. Even when it is turned into a film. I have seen Mama Mia on stage twice, the movie three times and have the DVD. Also the same with Joseph's Techicolor Coat with Donny Osmond. I first saw that play at a local theater group playhouse. Then it came to Boston, and couldn't wait to see it with DO. And have the DVD also. And now Les Miserables'. My biggest problem though is choosing between classical ballet and the theater as my favorite venue.
I love them both equally as well. I had the extreme pleasure of seeing the Kirov Ballet Company when they were here for Expo 86. While I have seen many troupes, modern and classical, none were as amazing as this!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Head Chef

Addie, Russell Crowe plays Javert so he wouldn't be singing Bring Him Home, that song belongs to the main character, Jean Valjean .
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

After I saw Lenin in October as a child, I cannot stand musicals. It just doesn't make sense to me, why would anybody likes them. We, as people, talk, not sing to each other.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Head Chef

Music is entertainment it makes us happy (and sad ) why should we have songs at all then ?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Master Chef

Music does make us happy. That is why we have opera, concerts operetta, musicals make no spence to me. I watched this documentary on PBS where they were talking about how Europe and USA went different ways. Operetta became popular in Europe and musicals became popular here. Well, I grew up in Europe and like operetta, not musicals.