"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #171
Master Chef

Thought of another end-around to watch some stuff without paying. Check the library's list of DVDs. I live in a town of 11,000 but my town library shares with about a third of the libraries in MA. There was a book/media share between libraries in my old city of 33,000, so I'm going to guess it's everywhere. Anyway, we have access to borrowing over 8000 titles. All kinds too: theatre releases, cable programs, PBS. Freebies - yay!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
I watched Doc Marten again last night.

What a smart show. Funny and poignant.

I'm hooked!
I agree, great show

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #173
Wine Guy

I took the first steps toward cable freedom today. First, I purchased a couple of antennas. Then my wife asked "will we be able to record programs we want to watch later?" So I did some Googling around and found an e-book on how to build your own DVR using an old computer and a few parts. That inspired me enough to go on eBay and find a nice 4-year-old computer for $56. To complete the system I bought additional memory, a larger hard drive (enough to store 80 hours of HD television), and a TV tuner card for the PC (includes a remote). The Linux-based DVR software (Mythbuntu) is free.

Total cost: $240. Not much more than I am paying per month for cable.

I am psyched! Now the real challenge will be putting everything all together and getting the individual pieces to talk to one another.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #174
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It's amazing the deals that you can get on used computers off ebay. I got an off lease dual core Dell for $60 shipped that I use as my home media server.

I was going to go with mythbuntu, but no netflix with linux (because no access to Microsoft silverlight) I would have preferred a linux media center, but this pushed me to windows.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #175
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
It's amazing the deals that you can get on used computers off ebay. I got an off lease dual core Dell for $60 shipped that I use as my home media server.

I was going to go with mythbuntu, but no netflix with linux (because no access to Microsoft silverlight) I would have preferred a linux media center, but this pushed me to windows.
I was more concerned with not having a DVR. TiVo is another scam (you "buy" the unit and then they charge you a monthly subscription on top of that), so I didn't want to go that route. It looks like Mythbuntu does the same thing for free.

We've got 4 Roku boxes in the house. There's a Netflix channel on those (as well as Hulu Plus and Amazon VOD), or I can just run it on the PC and stream the video to the TV. We also have a Windows server set up with our entire movie library on it. All the Roku boxes will play those, too.

There's a ton of options out there for low cost entertainment. After doing some research, I honestly don't know why we've been throwing money away all this time. When we first moved to this town 15 years ago, we were paying a TOTAL of $60/mo for cable (including premium channels) and internet. They suckered us in and just kept gradually jacking the price up a little at a time so we wouldn't notice.

To heck with 'em.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #176
Head Chef

And, then, there are the commercials. This one makes me laugh.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #177
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thought of another end-around to watch some stuff without paying. Check the library's list of DVDs. I live in a town of 11,000 but my town library shares with about a third of the libraries in MA. There was a book/media share between libraries in my old city of 33,000, so I'm going to guess it's everywhere. Anyway, we have access to borrowing over 8000 titles. All kinds too: theatre releases, cable programs, PBS. Freebies - yay!
CG, most of the cities and towns in Mass. participate in that program. So if your local library doesn't have what you want, they can get it from another town if necessary. Great program. I have taken advantage of it many times.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #178
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I was more concerned with not having a DVR. TiVo is another scam (you "buy" the unit and then they charge you a monthly subscription on top of that), so I didn't want to go that route. It looks like Mythbuntu does the same thing for free.

We've got 4 Roku boxes in the house. There's a Netflix channel on those (as well as Hulu Plus and Amazon VOD), or I can just run it on the PC and stream the video to the TV. We also have a Windows server set up with our entire movie library on it. All the Roku boxes will play those, too.

There's a ton of options out there for low cost entertainment. After doing some research, I honestly don't know why we've been throwing money away all this time. When we first moved to this town 15 years ago, we were paying a TOTAL of $60/mo for cable (including premium channels) and internet. They suckered us in and just kept gradually jacking the price up a little at a time so we wouldn't notice.

To heck with 'em.
I wanted everything in one platform for the luddite in my household, lol.

I use plex on my media server to serve up my digital media to Roku boxes and phones, tablets and such, works really well.

Been cable free for over 2 years and with this setup, I don't see us going back.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #179
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I wanted everything in one platform for the luddite in my household, lol.
HEY! I resemble that!

Bet "the Luddite" can do things you can't do. In this house DH and I speak totally different languages. He talks "Tech" and I talk "Culinary".
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #180
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
CG, most of the cities and towns in Mass. participate in that program. So if your local library doesn't have what you want, they can get it from another town if necessary. Great program. I have taken advantage of it many times.
Addie, I was just saying that if they do that kind of stuff out in "the sticks" they must to it everywhere else. I actually volunteer at out town's library so I promote them every chance I get.

I remember back in pre-historic times (before computers) our city's library back home did a book share program. Now THAT was an accomplishment. Nowadays I can log in from home, peruse the library site, and order anything I want that they might have. Almost as cool as the invention of the toaster.