"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Love Lorn Bachelors & Single Ladies Advice?

Good Morning,

This question had come to mind, when a blogging D.C. member had told me, of his woes with the opposite sex ... and though it was humorous in context, it has been the prime stimuli for this thread ... So here it is:

What advice would you give a single ( or widowed or divorced ) friend in reference to: preparing a 1st dinner for a new possible friend / mate ?

Firstly, I would select lunch hour, as this is less intimidating for most singles ... especially if they do not really know you that well.

The next item is, I would never prepare an Indian native dish for an Indian for example from India ... I would however, ask this person, to show me, how they prepare this dish, and do it together ! This opens a whole new door of communicating ...

I think most people feel quite awkard in someone´s home for the 1st time ...

I truly look forward to hearing from all of you, in regards to, advice that you have or would have given to friends or relatives that are single living in their lifestyle; for the Love Lorn Singles !

Margi.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My advice would be to make something you're already good at. Not only is that less stress for you, but you know you'll have a good dish.

Think about how it was when you tried a new recipe. How many times did you have to make it before you got it to come out the way you really liked.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good Morning Zhizara,

Right on, I totally agree with you Zhizara ... I would never create a first timer dish ... A dish that you make which is your repertoire, and that is elegant and relatively simple ... You do not wish to be in Kitch while your guest is alone in salon !

Thanks for feedback.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had the pleasure of cooking for my late husband and Glenn before we married and, fortunately, all went well.

My best advice is to listen carefully and attentively to determine what things the "target" likes/dislikes. That's where your game plan should begin. Once you've figured that out, go for it.

As has already been said, prepare something you are confident cooking and something you are pretty certain will be well-received and go for it. Your meal should be a slam dunk.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Katie H.: Good Advice

Good Afternoon Katie,

This is exemplary advice. I am in total agreement.

Furthermore, I believe if two people are " Dating " or seeing one another, it is " quite normal " that they should discuss gastronomy A to Z, oenology ( wines or what beverages they enjoy ), Chefs, and restaurants, as part of an interesting yet very normal conversation ...

For example, how does one know if one is carnivorious or a vegetarian ? This is basic conversation when one asks one to dine out at a restaurant ... Some people like Asian and others No or Greek or whatever.

Otherwise, it can be disasterous to go dine out at a stunning steak house restaurant with a vegan for example ...

Communications are the key !

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was lucky, I worked in a sandwich shop when I met Shrek, I already knew what types of food he ate. His first sandwich was a 12" roast beef, provolone, horseradish, lettuce, tomatoes and onion with French Onion Soup and a Schooner of beer.

I didn't have to go through the food phase.

I think what is most important is that their sense of humor matches yours.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I wouldn't invite a date over for dinner until we had dined out several times. Food and cooking are important interests to me and would have doubtless already come up many times on dates. I doubt I would find a relationship with somebody who is not interested in food. Before the home cooked dinner I would discuss the menu and there would be no surprises on what's served. And of course I would cook one of what I call my "signature" dishes, it would be very rash to cook an untested recipe.

I enjoy socializing with my company while I'm cooking. It's not fun for the chef or the company if the company sits in the living room and the chef cooks alone. I usually follow the mise en place technique ("putting in in place" or "everything in place"), just like the TV chefs with their little dishes. I premeasure and organize all the dishes before my company arrives so that I can focus on entertaining my guest or guests rather than be preoccupied by finding and measuring ingredients. Done well this comes off just like a TV cooking program and is much more enjoyable for both chef and guests.

BTW I started the mise en place technique when I became really enthusiastic about Asian cuisine (Thai, Chinese) when it's amost necessary because once you start cooking it's not unusual for things to happen very rapidly, and if you have to hunt down, prepare (chop, etc.) and measure ingredients you're likely to have your dinner get away from you and get spoiled.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

Excellent point, sense of humor ! You had a head start working in a restaurant where Shrek would come in and order ... Detail oriented ... Intelligent woman ... You paid attention ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Gourmet Greg,

You have a good head on your shoulders ! Thanks for the feedback.

Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Zhizara,

Thanks for feedback ...

Truly wise advice ....

Have nice Sunday,
Margi.