"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #101
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not everyone is detail oriented. When I worked in accounting, I found sales/marketing people were the worst, closely followed by engineers (!).

I suspect you lose the receipts if you don't want accounting to see what's on them.

When you pay a restaurant bill with a credit card, they bring you an itemized bill. You review it (maybe) and give them your credit card. They come back with the completed transaction for you to sign and a summary bill (not itemized) for you. That's in case you have to fill out an expense report. You attach the summary bill so accounting can't see there was booze on the bill because booze isn't reimbursed in many companies.
I was a techical sales rep and booze was a part of my sales career. If the customer wanted to have a three martini lunch or a beer with his or hers lunch, it was not against any of our company rules. In fact those who usually ordered a drink with their lunch or dinner, were my best customers.
I don't see being able to keep your work receipts as being detailed oriented. If the employee was not responsible enough to keep a simple receipt, he would not have an expense account.
I always turned in itemized receipts and noted on my report who I was with.
But I see your point. Just never had to concern myself with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I also saved a few "extra" restaurant tabs/receipts to replace those that ended up in the laundry or at the dry cleaners. They came in mighty handy when completing my expense report.
Best check dates and times on those phony receipts you turned in.
You might have had an issue had you had that day off, or it was a weekend or possible after working hours.
Receipts are time and date stamps as well as proof of purchase

Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think substituting other receipts for mangled receipts is within the spirit, as opposed to the letter, of the rules for expense accounts.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think substituting other receipts for mangled receipts is within the spirit, as opposed to the letter, of the rules for expense accounts.
Exactly. Unless you are presenting a receipt from Home Depot or CVS Pharmacy for a business luncheon, no harm has been done and you have been rightly reimbursed for your expenses.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #104
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Exactly. Unless you are presenting a receipt from Home Depot or CVS Pharmacy for a business luncheon, no harm has been done and you have been rightly reimbursed for your expenses.
It would also be dishonest.
If I lost a receipt for a business lunch, dinner, golf outing or fishing trip, I would have explained it to my boss and it would have been no problem.
After all, the buck does stop with him and my corporate credit card statement would be available to him.
So, any charge could have easily been verified.

On the other hand, an attempt to use a receipt from another non work expense to recover a work related expense would and could have just as easily been found out. The company got the monthly statement, not I.

So, my point is honesty is the best policy.

Just because its a small dishonesty, does not make it honest.
JMHO.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It would also be dishonest.
If I lost a receipt for a business lunch, dinner, golf outing or fishing trip, I would have explained it to my boss and it would have been no problem.
After all, the buck does stop with him and my corporate credit card statement would be available to him.
So, any charge could have easily been verified.

On the other hand, an attempt to use a receipt from another non work expense to recover a work related expense would and could have just as easily been found out. The company got the monthly statement, not I.

So, my point is honesty is the best policy.

Just because its a small dishonesty, does not make it honest.
JMHO.
What I don't understand is why you are so hung up on this "honesty" thing. I suppose you have never taken a pencil home from the office either. After all that is stealing.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't consider it dishonest unless the "replacement" receipt is for more than the original or there never was an original. BTW, not everyone has a company credit card.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #107
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't consider it dishonest unless the "replacement" receipt is for more than the original or there never was an original. BTW, not everyone has a company credit card.
My late husband gave his employees a gasoline company card for the work trucks. One day I saw one of our best employees at the gas station filling up his boat attached to the company truck.

It's not easy owning a business.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #108
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My late husband gave his employees a gasoline company card for the work trucks. One day I saw one of our best employees at the gas station filling up his boat attached to the company truck.

It's not easy owning a business.
There will always be one of them!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #109
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
There will always be one of them!
Sadly Cave, people trying to cheat their employers isn't all that unusual.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 AM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Exactly. The company assumes if you are in a position of having a business lunch, then you own a credit card. Use that and present a receipt. You will be reimbursed. You are less likely to abuse your own credit card.

Tags
other