"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #71
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Update:

Had the discussion yesterday and it went very well. Her contribution will be/should be enough to cover everything and even a bit more!
I also had her very own satellite receiver (TV) installed this week. She wrote me a check on the spot for any extra cost.

I wish I had not used frugal and cheap in earlier comments as it turns out she is neither. At least not anymore.
All is well and looking promising in the future.
Thanks everyone for the advice. It helped me very much.
That has to be a load off your mind. I'm glad it went well. You need not feel guilty about your thoughts. They are what experience told you. It's always a sensitive area.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #72
Master Chef

Sounds like things went the best way possible for you. It's difficult to discuss money in any situation. Glad to hear it's all worked out smoothly for you R_B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Nothing wrong with being frugal/cheap. It may have been that she was concerned about how long her funds would last. I recall being very frightened about finances when Buck died...
You don't even have to be widowed to think this way Katie, just getting old enough to see retirement on the horizon and wondering if you need "just a little more" to make things comfy for the rest of your time. I don't hesitate to call myself "cheap" on occasion. At least I don't squeak when I walk. Yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sounds like things went the best way possible for you. It's difficult to discuss money in any situation. Glad to hear it's all worked out smoothly for you R_B.

You don't even have to be widowed to think this way Katie, just getting old enough to see retirement on the horizon and wondering if you need "just a little more" to make things comfy for the rest of your time. I don't hesitate to call myself "cheap" on occasion. At least I don't squeak when I walk. Yet.
Retirement is just like starting a new career!

I tried to plan and plan as though it was a 30 year long vacation, nothing I planned for has happened!

Now I look at it as trying to cross the river by hopping from one stone to another. I try to look as far as I can and plan my next couple of moves, I just hope I don't fall in!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for following this up with us RB, it's always nice to hear a conclusion. You're MIL is lucky to have a guy like you in her life, and bless you for being the man any MIL would be happy to call a son.
Thanks. I appreciate those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great news!

Now, does your MIL have any secret recipes we should know about?

Now is the time to get them down on paper for future generations!

I wish I still had a chance to ask my Mom a few questions about some of her recipes.
She was not a cook. And was known for not being one. At least not a very good one. She is very happy to let me do all the cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That has to be a load off your mind. I'm glad it went well. You need not feel guilty about your thoughts. They are what experience told you. It's always a sensitive area.
Yes, my words were from years of experience. This goes back well before my FIL passed away. Also from stories of my wifes youth.
But I guess she realises what a great deal she is getting and is also very happy that she is paying her own way.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #75
Sous Chef

.... appreciate the "frugal and cheap" bit -

could be why she has the funds to cover what is now needed.

my brother spent everything, and more. if he made $1000, he spent $1500 figuring he'd always get more.

his widow is not so fortunate.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
.... appreciate the "frugal and cheap" bit -

could be why she has the funds to cover what is now needed.

my brother spent everything, and more. if he made $1000, he spent $1500 figuring he'd always get more.

his widow is not so fortunate.
My mother was a generous miser. She was frugal, so she could have the things and vacations that she thought were worthwhile and so she could be generous.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My mother was a generous miser. She was frugal, so she could have the things and vacations that she thought were worthwhile and so she could be generous.
I learned from my Grandmother to scrimp and save on the necessities so I could splurge on the luxuries, I enjoy living that way.

My Mother was more like dcSaute's Brother, as a child I found that to be a very stressful and insecure way to live.

I guess I grew up to be a "generous miser" too!

A little more bohemian, a little less bourgeois!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #78
Executive Chef

RB, I'm glad you got this worked out and that she was the one to bring it up. Makes you wonder if she's been reading DC! LOL

It seems my husband is intent on dying penniless. I am the complete opposite. I guess we balance each other. Any time we go out to eat with others, he grabs that check before it even hits the table, even if we have paid the past 5 times. No wonder people like to go out with us. LOL I am very frugal....always looking for a way to save a penny.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

It seems my husband is intent on dying penniless. I am the complete opposite. I guess we balance each other. Any time we go out to eat with others, he grabs that check before it even hits the table, even if we have paid the past 5 times. No wonder people like to go out with us. LOL I am very frugal....always looking for a way to save a penny.

I hear ya, Carol. DH does the same thing, grabbing the check. We're very popular too. Apparently everyone else is broke.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #80
Master Chef

I want to go to dinner with Carol and Dawg and see who of our three husbands is quicker! When I go to lunch with my Tues. Lunch Bunch of women, we ask for separate checks.

There's a thoughtful commercial on tv right now with two couples at dinner. The man of the younger couple grabs the check and the older man doesn't want him to pay because he's worried about him having enough money for his future. The younger man is worried about the older man having enough money to last him. They are father and son. It's about planning for the future.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other