My Baby Tia was attacked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
Some of you may remember back in November, that the dh and I adopted an adorable pit bull named Tia. Well when we adopted her she was being housed with her litter mate Cash. Cash is a big American bulldog and we just didn't think we could handle the both of them right away. Left our number with the shelter in case he couldn't be adopted, but he was...and quickly too.

Well this Friday we decided to stop by the shelter just to play with some dogs and we saw Cash. He had been returned for not getting along with cats. We decided to foster him for a week. Friday when we brought him home to Tia everything was great. They played together, slept together, ate together, it was adorable. Well Saturday morning it went all wrong.

They were playing in the yard together with me and Cash attacked Tia. Tia tried mounting Cash and he didn't like it at all. Our Tia has several puncture wounds and lots of cuts and scrapes all over. We rushed her to the pet clinic and called the shelter about Cash.

This is a really tough situation because we were Cash's last chance. He'll likely be put down. We are, of course, against this so we've got calls in all over the place for shelters that give dogs one more chance. He obviously needs more help than we could or would be comfortable with giving.

Tia is healing now. Her wounds look a lot more superficial today and she's hopping around like nothing ever happened so that is good. Our main concerns now are trying to help her feel safe in her own home since this is where she was attacked. And of course saving Cash from being killed.

It was an awful awful thing to see happen to my baby. I have never felt so useless than watching her be attacked an knowing I couldn't save her. :(

I hope she knows I would never let this happen to her again. Ever....

Aww, that is sad. There is nothing you can do about Cash though. Unfortunately, he will probably continue that path and get worse. You need to move on and not worry about him anymore and your baby girl will love you for helping her heal!!

Aww, that is sad. There is nothing you can do about Cash though. Unfortunately, he will probably continue that path and get worse. You need to move on and not worry about him anymore and your baby girl will love you for helping her heal!!

well we have many options actually. The best friends network will take in dogs who are at risk of being put down. There's also a trainer near here (in templeton ca) who was trained by cesar milan himself. If we could get her to work with Cash I think we could help find him a good home. He doesn't deserve to die because of this.

that sounds so sad!

i feel bad for Tia but i also feel bad for cash.
but, focus on Tia for now. until she heals and than look for a shelter for cash. BUT..... Tia is the one with the injuries so i think SHE...... should be the one you HELP..... first. but i am sure things will get better and again i am so sad and sorry this had to happen. hope every thing is fine again. :):angel:

i feel bad for Tia but i also feel bad for cash.
but, focus on Tia for now. until she heals and than look for a shelter for cash. BUT..... Tia is the one with the injuries so i think SHE...... should be the one you HELP..... first. but i am sure things will get better and again i am so sad and sorry this had to happen. hope every thing is fine again. :):angel:

Thanks, she's doing much much better today thankfully.

Tia has been with me from the moment she was injured. Cash is back at the shelter with essentially no one to take care of him. Sure there are volunteers there but they are busy. They can't take one on one care of him. He was attacked once too, about two weeks ago and the shelter says he was never the same after. maybe if he had someone like Tia has us, he wouldn't have been affected so negatively.

I am taking care of my baby. She slept with me last night. I hand feed her all of the meds she needs etc. But it's impossible not to hurt for Cash. I will try everything in my power to make sure he doesn't get put down. Poor doggy. :(

I'm sorry. I was a view with no post. It's because the words are so hard in this situation. I don't know Tia but I know dogs and it's so hard to advise you on what to do. I'm afraid if I spoke my mind, I might upset you. I don't want to do that.

Maybe I am just being sensitive (well i know i am being sensitive) but my husband posted this in his car forum and the out pouring of best wishes was overwhelming. He has so much support from his car buddies and I really needed some myself...oh well. You're entitled to your opinions callisto, just like everyone else. You shouldn't worry about upsetting me.

Maybe I am just being sensitive (well i know i am being sensitive) but my husband posted this in his car forum and the out pouring of best wishes was overwhelming. He has so much support from his car buddies and I really needed some myself...oh well. You're entitled to your opinions callisto, just like everyone else. You shouldn't worry about upsetting me.
Sweetie ~ my support of you is unconditional. I'm sorry I didn't offer it sooner. I'm just worried about Cash. I've been looking for no kill shelters in Cali that you could take him to. I even sent an email to a friend out there asking if they could take him but I haven't heard back.

Thanks Callisto. Thats really really sweet. I havent heard anything from the shelter yet, but today they did a home check on a family who understands Cash's special needs and his history. They want him anyway and if they pass the home visit (to make sure they dont want him for fighting or anything like that) they should be able to adopt him and I would be crazy excited. We'll see. Thanks for trying to help. That means a lot! <3

For anyone who's been following this, I am very sad to report that Cash was sent up to heaven yesterday afternoon after behaving aggressively towards several other dogs at the shelter. We had great hopes for him, but clearly it was not meant to be.

I beleive that we gave Cash one last day with his sister and one more day with a loving family. Now he is in doggy heaven and one day we'll be there with him.

Thanks for the support.

Eva Marie

that's really sad for Cash, but, SP, the people that had him made him mean and once a dog is mean like that, they won't turn around. They can be made to behave when in the presence of it's owner, but, if left alone, that instinct will come out and he would have hurt someone one day and no one wants that on their conscience. Now he can run free and without anger or pain.

it's been really rough, but I know you're right. We're having a little memorial for him. We're going to pack up his blankets/bedding and his fav. toy and "plant" them in the backyard. We're also going to let a balloon go. I need to say goodbye or this is going to hurt for way longer than it should.

Oh snack - I'm so very sorry!!!!!!!!!!! Why Cash was the way he was God only knows. He's home now and...well...if old dogs can run in heaven then Cash is now licking everyone and playing. Whatever the reason was, he wasn't happy here. My hat is off to you for trying!!

Back
Top Bottom