My first egg!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I second what Rom said. That is so cool.

I've always wanted a few chickens, but DH says absolutely not. I do have friends who have chickens, and once and a while they share some fresh farm eggs with me.

How neat that you got your first egg!

As far as white/brown eggs go, it has been our experience that "city folk" will pay more for brown eggs and "country folk" won't pay as much for brown eggs.

:)Barbara

How neat that you got your first egg!

As far as white/brown eggs go, it has been our experience that "city folk" will pay more for brown eggs and "country folk" won't pay as much for brown eggs.

Really?? we get both in the same carton i think, i don't even think i notice which colour it is lol

Wow--congratulations Pacanis!! I can remember my 2 sisters and I fighting over who was going to have the care of feeding my Grandmother's chickens and finally she settled it by assigning us certain days---that ended all fighting but she forgot to say what days they were to take baths---the chickens----my sisters and I decided to give one of the hens a bath-----NOT A GREAT IDEA in hindsight------feathers and poop everywhere and the chicken was quite indignant to say the least......the expression on my Grandma's face was memorable....will never forget it.......frozen in time.....

I got another one this morning. So fresh it was still warm. You might say I "interrupted her" :LOL: I'm surprised she didn't jump off the nest.

Last night's Egg in a Frame. It just didn't seem right not eating it the same day.

firstegginaframe.jpg

My girls this morning eating their tomatoes. After one of the Buff Orps was done earning her keep :)

31weeks.jpg

I keep debating over getting a couple chickens, our neighbors across the road have a few.

i'm surprised that you don't have some already. chickens are notorious imperialists... :rolleyes:

pacanis, d3 is vitamin d3. birds need vitamin d3 in conjunction with sunlight to be able to properly metabolize calcium in their diet. this is especially important for egg laying females since calcium get depleted from their bodies from the eggshells. if i get a coupla free minutes, i'll search to see if there's any specifications for chickens.

Thanks buckytom. I just checked their food and it is added as a supplement, so I guess I'm covered.
The shell was noticeably harder to crack on the side of the fry pan (although it was a small egg), but I'll keep an eye out if they might need more than what their food provides.

I have chickens too. I love going out to the henhouse on a frosty afternoon, and picking up eggs that are still warm.

I usually do supplement with additional light, and haven't had any health problems with my girls.

The first eggs are usually smaller than later eggs, and the older the hens get, the bigger the eggs are. Sometimes mine don't fit in the cartons!

Here is puzzle for you--which end of the egg comes out first--the pointy end or the large end?

Hi Sparrowgrass

The artificial light thing was just something I read. Someone had a link to the studies, but I wasn't interested enough to follow it. Supposedly studies have been done on it and there is a link to increasing "natural" egg poduction and reproductive cancer... which may or may not affect the egg eater, but why take a chance. I guess unless you have a necropsy done you might not ever know what a hen died from, and I certainly am not going to have one done if any of my chickens die :neutral: As long as I get enough eggs that I don't need to buy any more, which is a 20 minute drive to the store, I'll be happy. Until they get too old to lay anymore :( Then I'll start over.

OK..... I would say logic would dictate the small end comes out first to ease things along....... So probably the large end.

What I want to know is who found out and why did they want to know?
And who first said, "Lets eat the first thing that falls out of this chicken's butt? :LOL:

I have chickens too. I love going out to the henhouse on a frosty afternoon, and picking up eggs that are still warm.

I usually do supplement with additional light, and haven't had any health problems with my girls.

The first eggs are usually smaller than later eggs, and the older the hens get, the bigger the eggs are. Sometimes mine don't fit in the cartons!

Here is puzzle for you--which end of the egg comes out first--the pointy end or the large end?
I'm voting for the big end coming out first - like babies. (But what I really wanna know is how you know the answer, sparrowgrass. I can't imagine hens being cooperative with "observers".)

Hi, I got chickens a few years ago. I have three at the moment. 2 lay brown eggs, and 1 lays a pale blue egg. *** mentioned earlier, trying to peel the hard boiled eggs is a challenge. We usually just use them for omlets, baking .... My brown egg laying chickens usually lay one egg a day, whole the blue egg layer is only every other day. They seem not to like change. When i move them from their ' summer house' ( a coop outside ) to their winter house ( a pen in my garage) they stop laying for a few weeks, the same goes for when i put them back outside again. During the winter i keep a heat lamp on them, and this additional light does cause them to produce a little more than when they are outside. WE feed them our left overs. There favorites are spaghetti and the water mellon rind, oh, and rice too. The kids fight over who is going to check for eggs each day ( with each other , not with me :P ) And my friends and co workers think its funny when i bring my surplus in to share with everyone. When we go away, i let the kids across the street take care of them, and they get to keep the eggs. Anyway, its a great experience.

And who first said, "Lets eat the first thing that falls out of this chicken's butt? :LOL:
and... "Let's pull those things hanging down on that cow and drink whatever comes out!"

As far as which end comes out first, I think it makes sense that the large end is first. After getting the most difficult part out, as everything begins to contract, the small end will help shoot it out.

Wow, never thought I would be having this discussion! :LOL:

Yep, large end first, just like a baby.

I learned many things about chickens and eggs because I worked for a very brief time as a USDA poultry grader and had to take a test.

But this particular fact I remember, because I have one of those trivia contest winner brains, full of many odd assorted facts and very little real useful knowledge. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom