"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Latex glove, pop her mouth open, and shove the pill to the back of her throat, keep her head tipped back and rub her throat. I know, that sounds nasty, but that's how I gave chemo tabs to a dog--it worked.

After that, in dog class, I would include an exercise re: pilling the dog (with bits of soft treats--no glove) so that one could pill the dog and not have to use the glove.
That's what the vet showed me to do for my cat Sucha. She was very good at not swallowing. So, the vet showed me again. We watched the pill fly across the room. Then the vet believed I might have been doing it the way she showed me.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #42
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's what the vet showed me to do for my cat Sucha. She was very good at not swallowing. So, the vet showed me again. We watched the pill fly across the room. Then the vet believed I might have been doing it the way she showed me.
We had a Schnauzer that knew the exact same trick!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

And hope that Violet doesn't know how to blow back...
Let's hope not!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You gotta go WAAAAY back, over the arch of the tongue. That's where the latex glove comes in handy, remove your hand, close the dog's mouth, hold shut (nose toward ceiling) and rub throat. If very desperate, you can dribble a couple of drops on the dog's nose to make it swallow. It works, but it does take practice.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Latex glove, pop her mouth open, and shove the pill to the back of her throat, keep her head tipped back and rub her throat. I know, that sounds nasty, but that's how I gave chemo tabs to a dog--it worked.

After that, in dog class, I would include an exercise re: pilling the dog (with bits of soft treats--no glove) so that one could pill the dog and not have to use the glove.

Back in the old days I had to give our Golden a heartworm pill every night. The vet showed me to open his mouth and shove the pill down his throat on one side of the mouth or the other, not the middle. Then hold his mouth shut and rub his throat. When you saw the tip of his tongue pop out of the front of his mouth, you knew he had swallowed.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
You gotta go WAAAAY back, over the arch of the tongue. That's where the latex glove comes in handy, remove your hand, close the dog's mouth, hold shut (nose toward ceiling) and rub throat. If very desperate, you can dribble a couple of drops on the dog's nose to make it swallow. It works, but it does take practice.
We watched her swallow!

The vet succeeded once with a special pill holder stick.

I had to grind up her pills and give them to her in her food. She knew they were there and she wasn't happy, but she ate the food.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's obvious, if you need to get your dog or cat to swallow a pill...call CWS!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

There are some meds that can't be given with food, so being able to pill your dog (cats are another story--I had one of those pill pusher sticks when I had to pill a friend's cat) is absolutely essential. Practice with soft treats when your dog isn't in need of meds.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #49
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The only way my mom could get her dog to take a pill was to coat it in butter, then push it back to her throat the way some of you have already described. She could get them out of meat and cheese. Butter made them slick and she couldn't help but swallow.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #50
Everymom

I've never had a problem with Murray thank god! But pilling the cats has always been an interesting experience. We had a Siamese who could cheek his meds and you'd find them spit out stuck to curtains, on windows...anywhere that he could really make his point.