"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #121
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Fisher's Mom, you are way cool. I had the same talks with my teenagers (while the 10 year old overheard the talk). They called me the condom lady. I used a rootbeer bottle, though the banana would have worked, had we had bananas in the house that day. The neighborhood boys would take condoms from the medicine cabinet--better safe than sorry.
Later that day, the 10 year old is making on a comment on something completely unrelated, and he says 'That makes condom sense'.........we all burst out laughing. Poor kid can't live that one down and he's 17 now.
OMG Bliss, that is soooo funny! He sounds like a great kid! And I'm thinking your family will be saying "condom sense" for generations to come. I never thought of the rootbeer bottle - it would have been better maybe. I stuck to bananas and cucumbers.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #122
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
My foot was halfway in the nunnery when I married........used to wrap a towel around my head and give out Holy Communion in the neighborhood---thought I wanted to be a nun for the longest time........boy did my dad get some phone calls
I can't get that picture out of my head now - you with a towel around your head giving the sacrament! My naughty son Nick went to a Catholic school here for kinder through 2nd grade. Since we aren't Catholic, the Mass was new to him and he was really taken with the sacrament, too. He used a Dixie cup with a kleenex laid over the top and gave us all communion at least daily for months. The funniest part was the priest at the school was Irish with a very thick brogue and Nick always used the accent when he gave communion, too!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #123
Master Chef

Yea, I can just see me handing out the sacrament while my 3 year old is tugging at me leg saying, "I wan sum, I wan sum!"
Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #124
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I can't get that picture out of my head now - you with a towel around your head giving the sacrament! My naughty son Nick went to a Catholic school here for kinder through 2nd grade. Since we aren't Catholic, the Mass was new to him and he was really taken with the sacrament, too. He used a Dixie cup with a kleenex laid over the top and gave us all communion at least daily for months. The funniest part was the priest at the school was Irish with a very thick brogue and Nick always used the accent when he gave communion, too!
How funny, Fisher's Mom, how cute and I can just visualize him doing it, too!!!! We had a Dutch priest in my gram's parish who was scary in the confessional who once asked me at age 6 if I thought playing was a sin. What was this? A trick question? This wasn't in the catechism that we had to painstakingly memorize.... So I hesitatingly quivered a "no???" Then he had the nerve to ask me why not.....now I knew we were in a different world.........uh, cause Jesus played?????....... Pause...."Gut answer" was his reply........glad I could think quickly on my knees.....

Yeah, I'm sure I looked hilarious in my "Nun" getup........and Mav I have witnessed kids in church demanding to have the McWafers to go, too!!! Yep, if you have them, you will certainly laugh...........
Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

when my daughter was little , we attended the wedding of a cousin. the chapel was very old and neither the seating nor the sound was very good. i put her on the aisle so she could see better.

few minutes later , very loudly she said "do u suppose god gets bored at weddings" much laughter from the congregation. i was embarrassed.

babe
Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #126
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
when my daughter was little , we attended the wedding of a cousin. the chapel was very old and neither the seating nor the sound was very good. i put her on the aisle so she could see better.

few minutes later , very loudly she said "do u suppose god gets bored at weddings" much laughter from the congregation. i was embarrassed.

babe
OMG!! I'm laughing so hard!!! Kids do tell it like it is that's for sure......!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #127
Master Chef

Too funny!!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I have told them that I'd really like at least one grandchild someday and that if they wanted to draw straws to see who had to do the deed, that was OK with me.
Geez FM you're looking for grandkids already???
Chill!!! Take a mintue for a shower and a book ALL in the same DAY!!!!!

I always wanted kids, timing wasn't picked... TJ and I had been best friends and dated on and off from age 16 til 23, then we finally hooked up..... and moved to Indiana together.. (DUMB IDEA! Indiana, not him.)
We came back and were house hunting, thinking how horrible it would be to be "tied down" right now and not be able to do what you want whenever you want. I kid you not, 3 days after this conversation I find myself with child....
oops.
LONG story short, we had a boy, bought a house, had another boy, bought another house, got married, lost a baby , and Lego girl rounded out the bunch.
My parents were 34 and 37 when they STARTED having kids. I knew I didn't want that. Imgine not getting rid of ME til you were almost ready to retire????
That's part of my story and I'm stickin' to it....
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #129
Everymom

OK, I gotta comment on the "using birth control correctly" thing. Trust me when I tell you that even using the methods correctly (and more than one at a time I might add) is STILL not fail safe. The only fail safe method is abstinence. Even the Pill can be compromised.

And expatgirl, love the nun thing!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I second her motion.....
My first and "technical" third (lost that one) BOTH happened while taking MANY precautions! (including abstinence by the 3rd one ha ha :) )